Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Tbone3636
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default Pasture weed control recommendation

Iíve got a mixture of native and costal Bermuda grasses on my pastures and would like to spray them for weed control. What products do you recommend and at what time of the year? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbone3636 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Tagged
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
CWaller30
Six Point

Hunt In: Falls County, TX/Oklahoma/KS

Grazon. We will start spraying in the next few weeks.
CWaller30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

Grazon
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Grazon Next is my favorite. I’ll usually start spraying in mid March to early April
Puncher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

Grazon Next HL. We spray sometime between April-March.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
yotethumper
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

What they said, grazon.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
texasnavy05
Ten Point

are there any sensitive crops around you? fruits, pecan trees, cotton, corn, sorghum, nursery, etc? If no, then I'd go with grazon next (if you have a pesticide license), and I'd go with chaparral (if you don't have license). If yes, then I'd probably run a herbicide impregnated dry fertilizer. No potential for drift, but the coverage isn't as good unless you use 200 lb fertilizer per acre or more.
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Actually right now still you can get away with 24D and it’s much cheaper per acre. If you don’t have a lot to spray then use grazon.

Early spraying March generally I use 24D and preemergent. Then later like end of April, may I spray again aight Grazon and Preemergent again.

I am behind this year on spraying due to fields being to wet we are about to start spraying now. I’ll use 24D since I already bought it.
dclifton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
gfulton
Four Point

Grazon Next
gfulton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

You will need an applicators license for Grazon and Grazon Next. And, depending on the county you are in, anything with 2,4-D you will need a permit.

What weeds do you have? How many acres? Are you applying it yourself or will someone else apply it?

If you don't have the applicator's license, and you want to kill any Bahia along with general broadleaf weeds, try Chaparral or Cimmeron (or Plotter) in May.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

A broadcast spray application of a broadleaf weed selective herbicide will control weeds and not harm grasses. I use a Fimco tank sprayer with a boom on the back of a 4 wheeler. The best time to apply herbicides is spring to early summer when weeds are 2”-4” tall.

I’m assuming you’ll need to use a product that can be purchased without an Applicators License. If that’s the case I would suggest Pasturegard HL (1-3 pints per acre) or Pasturall HL (1-1.5 pints per acre). I would also recommend using a good surfactant like LI 700 at, somewhere around 32 oz. per 100 gallons of tank mix to help the herbicide stick to the broadleaf weeds better.

Be careful around desirable trees when applying the herbicide, as it will kill any smalls trees if it comes into contact with their canopy and could damage any larger trees if you spray under their drip line.

Last edited by Sika; 04-11-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #13
Farmdog
Ten Point

Rifle is what I’m using. I bet it’s in the 2 4D family: I spray sugarcane and hay pastures with it. It will smoke your neighbors cotton, wind direction, drift control chemicals are a must
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #14
Tbone3636
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
You will need an applicators license for Grazon and Grazon Next. And, depending on the county you are in, anything with 2,4-D you will need a permit.

What weeds do you have? How many acres? Are you applying it yourself or will someone else apply it?

If you don't have the applicator's license, and you want to kill any Bahia along with general broadleaf weeds, try Chaparral or Cimmeron (or Plotter) in May.

No specific weeds... just general weed control and briars. I have about 70 acres to spray. I will spray it myself. Are either of those bad for trees as well? I have a lot of oaks Iíll be spraying around that have briars at their bases.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #15
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

I think the best way to control briars is shred them and hand spray the stems. I have briars also and Grazon P+D won't kill them with regular application rate of 1 1/2 pint per acre. I have to go back and spray them again with a spot sprayer.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #16
BCHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Rocksprings,Snook Tx

I have been using Patriot the last couple of years. Its a slow kill but it has worked well for me spraying this time of year. It does kill Bahia though. You don't need a license and its the cheapest way to go that I have found. I get it at the local coop its less than 60 dollars for 16oz. In most cases you use less that a ounce per acre.
BCHUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #17
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCHUNTER View Post
I have been using Patriot the last couple of years. Its a slow kill but it has worked well for me spraying this time of year. It does kill Bahia though. You don't need a license and its the cheapest way to go that I have found. I get it at the local coop its less than 60 dollars for 16oz. In most cases you use less that a ounce per acre.
Patriot is good. It is metaslufuron methyl (MSM), and will get after the Bahia for sure.

I have been mixing MSM with 24D & Dicamba. (<<requires liscense) You can get 24D & Dicamba pre mixed in a product labeled "Range Star". I add the MSM in with RangeStar to help control the sedge, palmettos, & Bahia.

I have never sprayed straight MSM, but have been considering trying it.

I don't spray in the spring because I have clover, and around here it usually lasts into May.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #18
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone3636 View Post
No specific weeds... just general weed control and briars. I have about 70 acres to spray. I will spray it myself. Are either of those bad for trees as well? I have a lot of oaks I’ll be spraying around that have briars at their bases.

Ok. Neither will harm trees. So do you have an applicators license?

Are you talking about greenbriars or dewberry/ blackberry briars? Cimmeron / Plotter at .5 - 1 oz/ acre will kill the latter but only knock back the greenbriars. (Plotter is much cheaper. It is the generic of Cimmeron. Patriot is probably the generic as well. Both contain MSM.)

Chaparral will take care of both.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Ok. Neither will harm trees. So do you have an applicators license?

Are you talking about greenbriars or dewberry/ blackberry briars? Cimmeron / Plotter at .5 - 1 oz/ acre will kill the latter but only knock back the greenbriars. (Plotter is much cheaper. It is the generic of Cimmeron. Patriot is probably the generic as well. Both contain MSM.)

Chaparral will take care of both.
Right on....Cimmaron, Patriot, MSM60.......all are metasulfuron methyl (msm).

Dupont came out with Cimmaron MAX several years ago, which is 24d+dicamba+msm. At a high rate, it will kill palmettos. I have pretty much eradicated them on our property of the past 8 years. it's expensive though, and can be generically mixed much cheaper using range star & patriot.

FYI, the MSM is a granular. Liquify in an empty jug prior to putting into your spray tank, and always triple rinse your containers back into your spray tank, before disposing of them.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Grazon Next HL works wonders in a weedy pasture. I don't have an applicators license and buy it all the time.
CabezaBlanca is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Turn few head of goats out for a week and you will fix any broadleaf issues. They will mow the weeds down.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

I'm going to try Brash by Winfield. It's a 24d with dicamba. 2 pints to the acre will be about 7 dollars an acre, plus surfactant

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #23
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
I think the best way to control briars is shred them and hand spray the stems. I have briars also and Grazon P+D won't kill them with regular application rate of 1 1/2 pint per acre. I have to go back and spray them again with a spot sprayer.
The extension agent told me they tested remedy and milestone mixed and it flat smoked greenbriar, even when they sprayed it while dormant.

Also new herbicide for cactus called mezavue that has will kill them in half the time of the old picloram way.

Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #24
texasnavy05
Ten Point

Remedy is the only thing we've had luck with on briers. And its best to spray them right after shredding.

And, as mentioned before, make sure you don't spray desirable trees or under their dripline.
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #25
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Here's the latest article on Dewberries and Blackberries. Remember - timing is everything.

https://foragefax.tamu.edu/2019/04/1...nd-dewberries/

They recommend this:
Quote:
Select Herbicide Options:

Chaparral (will kill bahiagrass)

Cimarron Plus (will kill bahiagrass)

RemedyUltra

Pasturegard HL

Surmount

Note that Pasturegard HL, RemedyUltra and Surmount may be less effective if mowing has occurred within a year prior to treatment for either species.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #26
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
The extension agent told me they tested remedy and milestone mixed and it flat smoked greenbriar, even when they sprayed it while dormant.

Also new herbicide for cactus called mezavue that has will kill them in half the time of the old picloram way.

At what rate was it suggested to mix in a spot sprayer? Definitely willing to try it if it keeps me from shredding first.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #27
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

Man that’s a lot of acres unless you already have a pretty big boom sprayer. I’d go down to the local co-op and have them come spray it. They can probably even help recommend what to spray.
bowhntrmatt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #28
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
Man thatís a lot of acres unless you already have a pretty big boom sprayer. Iíd go down to the local co-op and have them come spray it. They can probably even help recommend what to spray.

You can rent spray rigs from most stores and come out a little cheaper then having them spray also

Dushon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #29
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default This works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
A broadcast spray application of a broadleaf weed selective herbicide will control weeds and not harm grasses. I use a Fimco tank sprayer with a boom on the back of a 4 wheeler. The best time to apply herbicides is spring to early summer when weeds are 2Ē-4Ē tall.

Iím assuming youíll need to use a product that can be purchased without an Applicators License. If thatís the case I would suggest Pasturegard HL (1-3 pints per acre) or Pasturall HL (1-1.5 pints per acre). I would also recommend using a good surfactant like LI 700 at, somewhere around 32 oz. per 100 gallons of tank mix to help the herbicide stick to the broadleaf weeds better.

Be careful around desirable trees when applying the herbicide, as it will kill any smalls trees if it comes into contact with their canopy and could damage any larger trees if you spray under their drip line.
We spray select areas on 200 acres with a 40 gal sprayer in the back of our JD Gater
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #30
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

get you a few goats. No weeds in no time at all
PYBUCK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #31
Tbone3636
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
A broadcast spray application of a broadleaf weed selective herbicide will control weeds and not harm grasses. I use a Fimco tank sprayer with a boom on the back of a 4 wheeler. The best time to apply herbicides is spring to early summer when weeds are 2Ē-4Ē tall.

Iím assuming youíll need to use a product that can be purchased without an Applicators License. If thatís the case I would suggest Pasturegard HL (1-3 pints per acre) or Pasturall HL (1-1.5 pints per acre). I would also recommend using a good surfactant like LI 700 at, somewhere around 32 oz. per 100 gallons of tank mix to help the herbicide stick to the broadleaf weeds better.

What about mature oak trees?

Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #32
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone3636 View Post
What about mature oak trees?

As long as youíre not spraying in high wind where youíre getting a bunch of drift, youíll be fine. I do it every year

Dushon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top