Educate me-Sonos home stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me-Sonos home stereo

We’re building our retirement home, and I’m leaning towards a good ceiling-mounted system plus sub in the vaulted living room. I’ve been impressed by Sonos sound systems in the past, looking at their wired “The Amp” for power + streaming audio (ethernet input instead of WiFi) and the 8” ceiling speakers (built in cooperation with Sonance).

I’d put 2 speakers in which I’m told is sufficient and wire for another pair on the opposite side of the vault if I want to add in the future. Plus outside speakers, and run wire to other rooms for future additions.

My wife is against putting in floor speakers this time and I agree- in this house. I had a surround sound in the last house and we don’t watch movies enough to use it enough. Plus my wife would always be asking me to “turn it down”.

Anybody have a Sonos audio system and have an opinion? I know most of their products are wireless with plug-in to 110 for power.

What does Sonos give you that other options won't? When I looked at it for an option to get music outside I could control, it was the priciest option.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      We’re building our retirement home, and I’m leaning towards a good ceiling-mounted system plus sub in the vaulted living room. I’ve been impressed by Sonos sound systems in the past, looking at their wired “The Amp” for power + streaming audio (ethernet input instead of WiFi) and the 8” ceiling speakers (built in cooperation with Sonance).

I’d put 2 speakers in which I’m told is sufficient and wire for another pair on the opposite side of the vault if I want to add in the future. Plus outside speakers, and run wire to other rooms for future additions.

My wife is against putting in floor speakers this time and I agree- in this house. I had a surround sound in the last house and we don’t watch movies enough to use it enough. Plus my wife would always be asking me to “turn it down”.

Anybody have a Sonos audio system and have an opinion? I know most of their products are wireless with plug-in to 110 for power.

I went hard wired and all Klipsch for the house I’m building now. I didn’t pre wire any other rooms in the house except for the living room, back porch, and upstairs media room. To me it’s not worth even pulling the wire to other rooms of the house because most of the time it’s not used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have 4 Sonos speakers (a 5 and three 3s) and 2 play bars. Love all of them. Amazing sound, and the speakers are easy to move outside, or different room, garage, etc.

We also enjoy how we can “link” different speakers at the same time. Bought our first one 8 years ago, and have been very pleased.

When we purchased the second play bar for a TV outside, I thought the same thing I do before I bought any of them... How much am I about to spend on this?!?

If we were to do it all over again, we wouldn’t change a thing. They are very easy to set up and use, and the sound is great. Most important to us, they “just work.” We never have to fuss with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Have Sonos all through the house, garage, patio, etc. LOVE IT!

Comment

Thanks!

Here’s my thought process:

- We agreed to ceiling speakers in living room, thus wired

- I’ve heard Sonos a few times and liked it... but that’s certainly not an A-B comparison.

- My primary music source will be streaming off the internet. A Sonos Port (with their iPhone app) is supposed to be the best/easiest to to input from ethernet and output to line voltage and costs $499.

- A Sonos Amp has that plus 200 watts and the dsp for room sound optimization adds $200.

- When the Sonos the Amp is used with their ceiling speakers (co-designed by Sonance), you can do a sound check and it optimizes the sound using a dsp.

- While the Amp has outputs for 3 speakers, they are not switchable- a pretty poor design decision in my opinion. I do have a 3 speaker impedance matching switch already to use. It really would be better if I could control from their app.

Here’s what I wired today. The speakers will go in a line with the can lights, inside of the outer cans. I was told by Sonos I’ll be ok with a pair of 8” on the ceiling above the fireplace + my subwoofer.

But I wired the opposite ceiling for 2 more in the same locations. I may just buy 4 and get it done now. The ceiling will be done in 6” doug fir distressed boards, and 2 large trusses matching the outside truss on either side of the stone fireplace.

Comment

I have Sonos in my offices. Incredible sound. Easy to set up as well.

Comment

I went into Magnolia looking for Sonos and the rep did a side by side comparison for me with a few different options. Ended up going wired, with Marantz receiver and Bowers and Wilkins speakers throughout the entire game room/media room. If this is going to be your retirement home, don’t compromise — go somewhere they can do a side by side comparison for you and make your decision. What sounds “good” is very subjective and perhaps even dependent upon what kind of music/media you will be listening to. Best of luck and congrats on your retirement.

Comment

I like Samsung sound bar.

Samsung - 7.1.4-Channel 512W Soundbar System with 8" Wireless Subwoofer and Dolby Atmos - Natural Gray
                  Model: HW-Q90R/ZA
                  SKU: 6351231
                  Rating, 4.4 out of 5 with 210 reviews
                  (210)

Comment

Check out the newer speakers before doing a flush in wall installation. Mine are 4 years old and have volume control switches in the top of each speaker. Not sure you cand adjust the volume otherwise. I tweak mine fairly often.
                    So, unless the individual speaker volume can be adjusted via the APP I'm not sure about doing the flush mounts.
                    Sound is great but lack a bit with higher frequency.
                    I'd still do Sonos again although the 120 volt power cords are a pain.
                    I may have around $2,800 invested.

Comment

I believe the volume is controlled by the Sonos app. I finished wiring today, I’m lucky I got a good price from a local electrical distributor on 500’ of 14/2 CL3 rated wire. I thought I’d have excess- I used all of it.

I can’t wait to have good tunes and sit in our living room with this view, or tunes on the deck outside the door.

Comment

So I have a dedicated media room wired for Dolby Atmos that honestly blows away a movie theater. Downstairs I have Sonos play bar, sub, and sonos 1 living room. In bedroom I have another playbar and a couple of 1's. If I had to do it all over again I would have pocketed $20k and just put sonos in. The one drawback to Sonos is that it needs power so be mindful of your outlet drops with that in mind. Your wife probably wouldn't want extension cords laying around.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Sonos systems start my house and office, and really like them. The office system has 8 speakers, one for each treatment room and reception area. It works great with Pandora and Spotify.

Comment

I’ve never seen ceiling mounted speakers in a vaulted ceiling. You’re gonna blow the roof off!!

Comment

I have the Sonos outdoor system with 4 speakers and a buried sub. It's networked with some existing bose speakers that so I have 2 "stations" outside and can listen to one, the other or both. We almost exclusively use with Spotify if it's not the outdoor tv sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X