Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relatives that only show for hunting season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relatives that only show for hunting season?

Have a step brother a couple hours away that i only hear from rt before or during hunting season. When protein cost is 120 a week...where is he? When we needed new blinds and feeders...where was he? Forget even money...when trash needed hauling away or installing electrical boxes or other stuff...he wasnt lending a hand. Now he sees pics of bucks on TC i put on facebook and he wont leave me alone! He is a drunk and trash so we cant leave him there to hunt alone. I dont have time to guide him with kids football (i take kids an evening here and there only because 40 min away). Do u guys hv this type of problem? It just bugs me because i wouldnt hv the nerve! He just calls and says what he would "like to do". Dad is dead and dad wouldnt even allow him out there by himself!

I am sure it sounds easier than it really is but tell him he is not invited to come hunting for the exact reasons you said in this post.

Gonna make for a fun Thanksgiving dinner table atmosphere!

Comment

Not going to help you much but...

Next time you put up TC pics on facebook set your privacy settings on the post so he can't see them.

Comment

What happens if you tell him no? Or just tell him to start pulling his own weight or don't bother showing up. Doesn't sound like you have a good relationship you're worried about ruining. Might just have to be a little bit "rude"

Comment

I'd set up a blind for him in the middle of an open field with a feeder that didn't work

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
            I'd set up a blind for him in the middle of an open field with a feeder that didn't work

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
              And, tell him that the feeder will throw out THE corn HE put in it at exactly 7am.

Comment

Just tell him nicely, in person, that you have had enough of him taking advantage of your hard work and resources. That's what he is doing here. Explain the things you told us. His actions don't really make it seem like he cares to help out or do his part to maintain what you guys have. Until you tell him enough, and stick to it, he's going to continue. You may not be able to keep him off the land, but you can sure turn off all the feeders and lock all the stands up. Something to not give him access to the equipment you bought without any of his help.

Comment

Oh yea, friends and family crawl out of the wood work when hunting starts, no where to be found in off season when work has to be done.

Comment

Talk to him. He may not even realize he is being rude. Ask him to help pay what he can for protien, help around the farm. Give him the benifit of the doubt.

Is the place left only to you? Or is he also the owner? If he is also the owner tell him to hunt his area he set up.

Comment

Mom own the land?

Comment

I know talking to family can be a touchy subject, but it doesn't seem like you have much to loose if you just lay it out, like you did here.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                          I know talking to family can be a touchy subject, but it doesn't seem like you have much to loose if you just lay it out, like you did here.

X2

Be honest with him. You'll feel better afterward.

Comment

We have the same issue every dove season, got several that ask but when you call during hay season or major project they're on the mend or can't do it.

Had one ballsy enough too offer too pay I told him double the goong rate. When he argued why it was higher then day leases I told him the labor to hunt exchange rate was aaaaalot cheaper.

Just straight up tell him no!

Comment

I've only let a few guys hunt with me, when mobs of other people have tried I tell them they are welcome to come kill one doe on my schedule but I don't have any bucks available. Phone calls from long lost souls stopped coming after a season or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X