No announcement yet.

Do you agree with this article in TPW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There has to be a difference between raised pen deer and wild deer.

Comment

All animals feed more before a really cold front comes in.

Comment

East is least, west is best

Before a front, when wind switches west then north west, I see most movement. Don’t know if it’s feeding or feeling like moving but it’s noticeable. After front passes wind rolls around to the East. I rarely hunt then it’s so slow, unless it falls in the Halloween- November 14th time frame. Then I hunt all I can

I can also look at my cattle... if they are all up on their feet eating, so are most other animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          East is least, west is best

Before a front, when wind switches west then north west, I see most movement. Don’t know if it’s feeding or feeling like moving but it’s noticeable. After front passes wind rolls around to the East. I rarely hunt then it’s so slow, unless it falls in the Halloween- November 14th time frame. Then I hunt all I can

I can also look at my cattle... if they are all up on their feet eating, so are most other animals.

People say the same thing about fishing and it ain’t true. I think somebody made that up because it rhymes.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            My experience too. And those days where a front hits and it’s drizzly and just nasty, deer movement peaks. I know fish gorge leading up to a front, and shut down once it hits, but unless it’s super windy deer movement is good. Once the front is through and the wind subsides deer movement is great.
            Thats the way deer are in Garza county. Drizzly and nasty they move big time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

People say the same thing about fishing and it ain’t true. I think somebody made that up because it rhymes.
              I don’t know @&$% about fish. But do deer, I’ll take before vs after a front

Comment

It depends!

Comment

On the East Texas lakes, it works... Wind gets out the East, fish get lock-jaw... A good stiff West wind, they'll almost come jump in your ice chest...

Comment

In south Texas my experience has been the deer didnt like really cold weather at all. They would hunker down until it warmed up some. We saw very limited activity after big cold fronts. They liked cloudy cool days best. Mid 40s in the morning and about 60 during the day. Those were the ice cream days down there.

Comment

No

Comment

Disagree. I’ve seen great movement when it’s cold.

Comment

Just because they eat more in the pens before it gets colder doesnt mean they are doing it in daylight.

Comment

I have seen multiple variations. But commonly cooler air does seem to result in increased deer activity. Meaning cooler air, not meaning a strong norther with high winds and a big drop in air temp, that situation will usually result in deer laying low, till the winds dies down, things settle. But that is not always the case. I remember one big buck, that the only time I saw him was wind a strong norther was blowing in, it was dark, cold and wind blowing 30+ mph, but he would be the only deer moving that I could tell.

I suspect deer likely to eat more before a strong norther blows in, then bed down as it comes in and for a while afterwards. But then after they have laid down for extended periods of time, they are going to get up and start moving and grazing.

But typical Texas, fall of being low to mid 90s, then a mild cool front comes in and the temps drop to the 50s, to 60s, yes the deer will be more active, just like people, enjoying the cooler air. It seems to get bucks to thinking about mating does, they definitely seem to be out and about more checking scrapes.

Comment

Years ago I was climbing down from a tree stand because the wind was so fierce. I was on a branch when I looked over and 50 yrs away was the biggest buck taken from that lease up till then. I was able to jack a round in my 3006, take a somewhat unbalanced shot, and killed him.
                              I guess my point is I'm not going to kill something if I'm waiting in camp for the best conditions, which I almost did that day. Now, I will sit in a tree during the rain part of a front and be on full alert right afterwards.

Comment

The deer in our area do not like the cold. If it is cold, they will not move until it warms up.

Comment

Working...
                                X