No announcement yet.

Can-am battery dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had a Defender for about a year and a half now and no troubles. Something ain’t right.

Comment

could be the stator or rotor not charging correctly when in use?

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
        Make sure the key is getting turned off all the way to the left. Has multiple positions. Uncle was having that trouble with his.
        I had the same problem with numerous gear. Anytime key can be pulled out...gear electrical is (typically) disconnected. However, personally, I dislike storing keys anywhere but on the gear and my kiddos kept pulling keys and absconding with them...so I tethered most all my keys to my gear. Not the wisest for theft situations but...my batteries typically stay better longer and I dont hunt for keys.

Comment

The stock batteries are notoriously junk. However I have a bunch of blue tooth stuff connected to mine too and my second battery still dies too soon. I put a perko on it and that helps a ton, but I also have a trickle charger to stays on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Let dealer fix it if it's only a few months old

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

My Can-am battery died several times before I found out that my winch kept searching for the remote. Technician installed a battery shut off behind key that completely shuts off power when the key is turned off. No problems anymore.

Comment

Trickle chargers work great when you are not using something daily. I run my Viking about every two weeks. I have had the same factory battery in it for over three years. The mechanic where I purchased it told me that it would extend the life of the battery.

Comment

I know Dillons Mule had this problem because it had too much stuff tied to one battery (lightbar, wet sounds sound bar). Brian put a second battery and electronic control switch on his Mule and never had any problems, but his also ran pretty much everyday all day for three years. Get with him and see what all he had done to his Mule

Comment

Was mentioned above, but if cables get loose, will not get good connection to start. Had the cables wiggle loose on my Defender a time or two, but once snug worked just fine.

Comment

Can-am battery dying

Well... The battery was charged back up and It was started and ran twice during the week without issues and yesterday evening fine.

Made it a few miles down the road this morning to dove hunt and when I threw it in park to get a gate it died and won’t start back up. You turn the key and hear all the static/humming but nothing happens.

Cables seem fine when I just checked them. 12.5 is the battery voltage so current seems good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by 150class; 09-05-2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

My 4wheeler does the same, if it sits for very long the battery goes dead. Had to replace battery once a year for several years. Now i just disconnect the battery when i leave the lease. have been doing this for about 3 years and it works perfect every time. I guess i have a resistive connection somewhere and it slowly drains it. Easier to disconnect battery than to try to find why it drains

Comment

Took it to the Corsicana powersports dealer and they did a great job of taking care of the situation. I tighten everything yesterday evening cable wise and it was barely loose when he checked it. Turns out it is a common Lone star edition issue and the battery bolts are to long and hit the battery itself. He said every lone star edition they get they immediately install a couple washers on the battery bolts and it resolves the issue.

I was going to be adding some light bars later on so went ahead and upgraded to a Odyssey PC1200.

Believe someone else mentioned the washers earlier on.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                            Took it to the Corsicana powersports dealer and they did a great job of taking care of the situation. I tighten everything yesterday evening cable wise and it was barely loose when he checked it. Turns out it is a common Lone star edition issue and the battery bolts are to long and hit the battery itself. He said every lone star edition they get they immediately install a couple washers on the battery bolts and it resolves the issue.

I was going to be adding some light bars later on so went ahead and upgraded to a Odyssey PC1200.

Believe someone else mentioned the washers earlier on.
                            That’s what I was talking about on my post on this thread. Took a good while for me to figure it out.
                            Last edited by doghouse; 09-05-2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                              That’s what I was talking about on my post on this thread. Took a good while for me to figure it out.
                              Well they haven’t fixed it yet

Comment

Working...
                              X