No announcement yet.

I got drawn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google The Fishnet Company LLC out of Jonesville, La. Go to the Products tab, then to Fishing Accessories, then to Line & Tackle. Then go to Hooks & Swivels and finally to Alligator Hooks. I personally like the 14/0 hooks but have also used their 12/0's too. The Alligator Hooks tab has some links to YouTube videos that are helpful too. You might call them for a twine size recommendation. I use the Tarred Twisted line from there. Also - make up your bait 1 1/2 or 2 days in advance. Go ahead and tie your lines and bait your hook. Then put the entire rig (baited hook & line into an old ice chest or small Styrofoam cooler that can be thrown away when you are finished. That way, you don't have to try to thread the hook through the rotting chicken. You just make your set when you find the area you want to fish. Sounds like you will only get one tag. But you will likely get 2 nights to fish. Go ahead and make a bait for each night that you get to fish. Don't change the baits though. The extra bait is for just in case a gator knocks your bait down, but doesn't get caught. I have been a couple of times at another refuge. They have provided a steel fence post & a 10' long 1x2 (instead of a cane pole). Be sure to take some heavy rubber bands, a roll of tie wire, some side cutter pliers & a clothes pin or 2. Don't sweat it too much. The refuge guys will give a pretty thorough indoctrination before turning you loose. They aren't that hard to catch.

Comment

Never been but I've seen some huge gators out there. Some of the biggest have been near the boat ramps, I'm assuming they are either being fed by folks or picking up scraps from the cleaning tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
        Google The Fishnet Company LLC out of Jonesville, La. Go to the Products tab, then to Fishing Accessories, then to Line & Tackle. Then go to Hooks & Swivels and finally to Alligator Hooks. I personally like the 14/0 hooks but have also used their 12/0's too. The Alligator Hooks tab has some links to YouTube videos that are helpful too. You might call them for a twine size recommendation. I use the Tarred Twisted line from there. Also - make up your bait 1 1/2 or 2 days in advance. Go ahead and tie your lines and bait your hook. Then put the entire rig (baited hook & line into an old ice chest or small Styrofoam cooler that can be thrown away when you are finished. That way, you don't have to try to thread the hook through the rotting chicken. You just make your set when you find the area you want to fish. Sounds like you will only get one tag. But you will likely get 2 nights to fish. Go ahead and make a bait for each night that you get to fish. Don't change the baits though. The extra bait is for just in case a gator knocks your bait down, but doesn't get caught. I have been a couple of times at another refuge. They have provided a steel fence post & a 10' long 1x2 (instead of a cane pole). Be sure to take some heavy rubber bands, a roll of tie wire, some side cutter pliers & a clothes pin or 2. Don't sweat it too much. The refuge guys will give a pretty thorough indoctrination before turning you loose. They aren't that hard to catch.
        Thanks for the info I'll check it out!

Comment

Here is our from last year....
          Attached Files

Comment

Baited line is the only way and will need a shotgun to dispatch.... Chicken is what we used for bait.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
              Baited line is the only way and will need a shotgun to dispatch.... Chicken is what we used for bait.
              That's awesome! Thanks for the help and what was his length?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                That's awesome! Thanks for the help and what was his length?
                9'-10" you can pm me if you have anymore questions....

Comment

I have an email into them so we will see, didn't even think about it when I put in and I have a feeling it'll be a bugger alone
                  I would call. While I havent hunted that refuge, in my experience with several others they answer the phone more than email

Oh and thanks for taking my tag

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    I would call. While I havent hunted that refuge, in my experience with several others they answer the phone more than email

Oh and thanks for taking my tag
                    I called, they can be on the boat but can't touch a thing or it's illegal. He told me that they have to be nothing but a bystander and offer no form of help

Comment

I called, they can be on the boat but can't touch a thing or it's illegal. He told me that they have to be nothing but a bystander and offer no form of help

So you get a big one and you're loading it all by your lonesome. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                        So you get a big one and you're loading it all by your lonesome. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I'll tie on some life jackets and drag it back!

Comment

Working...
                        X