First gen Tacoma headlight replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the usual oxidized lenses on the 99 and looking to replace so I can see better

Any recommendations on which to go with or stay away from?

Figure factory style with upgraded bulbs is easier and cheaper than HID upgrade or am I wrong?

Goal is to see better and not blind oncoming traffic

There are services that will come to the house and polish out your lights to clear for $70.00 per light. No installing and adjusting needed. About time to call them again. Lasts about 2 years.................

Comment

Last time I went through this on my 2004 I just bought replacements on eBay. Came out to about $50 for a pair with side markers.

Now that you mention it, I need to do it again.

Comment

You can wet sand them out and then polish with one of those foam drill attachments and plastic polish. Worked well on my sequoia.

Comment

Meguiars makes a kit for like $30. I did mine on my Tundra and they still are clear about 4 years later.

Comment

I tried all kinds of stuff with my Tacoma headlights to get the haze gone. Finally ended up just replacing them. Once you replace, you can get an upgraded wiring harness(the wiring harnesses on tacos are way undersized and rob you of light), that and some good bulbs will make an incredible difference. There’s a guy on tacomaworld that makes the harnesses. I’ll see if I can find that info.

Edit- found the thread on tacomaworld. It’s a lot of information, but having done this upgrade myself, I can say it’s worth it.

My build goal is to drastically increase the light output from the stock headlights without sacrificing quality, durability or the OEM lighting optics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Bullseye07; 01-21-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

got any pics of your truck? Love some old gen tacoma pics

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                I tried all kinds of stuff with my Tacoma headlights to get the haze gone. Finally ended up just replacing them. Once you replace, you can get an upgraded wiring harness(the wiring harnesses on tacos are way undersized and rob you of light), that and some good bulbs will make an incredible difference. There’s a guy on tacomaworld that makes the harnesses. I’ll see if I can find that info.

Edit- found the thread on tacomaworld. It’s a lot of information, but having done this upgrade myself, I can say it’s worth it.

My build goal is to drastically increase the light output from the stock headlights without sacrificing quality, durability or the OEM lighting optics...

I will check that out, thanks

Originally posted by bear View Post
                got any pics of your truck? Love some old gen tacoma pics
                Nothing special, just SR5 ext cab 4x4, plain ol white

Comment

Rub, "OFF" bug spray on it and rub it off. Will have to redue about every year. Works for me.

Comment

There should be several ones to choose from on Rockauto.com I believe.
                    I found a set there for my 2007 when I had it and was very satisfied.
                    I just can't remember which one I went with...

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                      Rub, "OFF" bug spray on it and rub it off. Will have to redue about every year. Works for me.
                      X2 on this, but …

Did a few times, then read somewhere about “whitening” toothpaste and a Scotch-Brite Dobie Cleaning Pad with some elbow grease. Now do this and it clears haze off just a good as the bug spray did.

Comment

I got a co worker that re did his . They look great . Let me see if I can get ahold of him .

Comment

My buddy went with Morimoto lights .

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions

May try some of the DIY tricks before replacing assemblies

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              My buddy went with Morimoto lights .

Morimoto are super nice and not cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X