No announcement yet.

Shoulder surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need replacement. Replaced one 3 years ago, been great. Now, the other needs it. First year I haven’t bow hunted in 37 years.
    Do the PT religiously! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been there, done that...two years in a row. At least last year I had my surgery early enough that I was able to salvage some of bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Dangitman! Sure sorry to hear that! You need to get all this stuff done now and get it behind you so you and the missus can start to enjoy that retirement you earned!! My wife was in orthopedic surgery, treatment and rehab for 25 years in the O.R. and she has always told everyone in our circle of family and friends, the success of ANY orthopedic procedure depends almost entirely on the rehab... The procedures themselves are not that difficult if the after surgery treatment and rehab are done right. You do exactly what your care-team advises, and with this type of surgery it is important that you don't "rush" it and try to do "more" or "faster"... stick with their plan and chances are almost a slam dunk, you'll be good as new, maybe even better!!

Good luck and post updates as you go forward when you can.

This is exactly what the surgeon. Rehab is the most important part.

I have a crossbow lined up (right Denson!) and a rifle as backup. Thankfully it is my left shoulder and I shoot RH.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. Hope for a quick recovery.

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by Clark View Post
            You are on your way to feeling much better!
            I’ve been there and 2 years later, my shoulder is doing great.
            But that road to get there was pretty rough.
            Good luck.
            100% agree with you there. Had mine repaired in July and for sure gave up my compound bow hunting for this year, but this crossbow hunting will sure spoil you. I just have me a hunting partner who can draw the crossbow for me and I am good to go.

Comment

Well you are not alone. Having a fusion on lower lumber 2 levels same day. We will both be laid up for a while. Could be worse. I’ll take the green side of the grass every day

Comment

You will need/want to sleep in a recliner after surgery. You will also need/want an ice therapy machine. Trust me on both of these!

Comment

I had my right rotator, labrum, biceps and a/c joint repaired, reattached, and cleaned out last Monday. Overall, it hasn’t been as big a deal as I feared. I cut the pain meds off after four days simply because they made my stomach hurt worse than my shoulder. I can do what little rehab I have to do right now with the judicious use of a few Advil. Hopefully that will hold when I start real rehab.

The worst part for me has been trying to sleep in a recliner. I can’t sleep for more than an hour, then I’m up and walking around in the middle of the night. I tried our adjustable tempurpedic too, but it just doesn’t give me enough support even though it raises high enough.

I got bored enough last night that I went out to the ranch at 4 am with my kids’ braked 257 Roberts mounted in a pig saddle on a tripod. Didn’t see anything worth shooting, but at least I could hunt and shoot left handed if need be. Not sure my 71-year old dad was too happy about the possibility of being on cleaning duty though...

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                    You will need/want to sleep in a recliner after surgery. You will also need/want an ice therapy machine. Trust me on both of these!
                    I second this

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                      Overall, it hasn’t been as big a deal as I feared...

I got bored enough last night that I went out to the ranch at 4 am with my kids’ braked 257 Roberts mounted in a pig saddle on a tripod. Didn’t see anything worth shooting, but at least I could hunt and shoot left handed if need be. Not sure my 71-year old dad was too happy about the possibility of being on cleaning duty though...
                      Well, I might have been a little cocky when I wrote that yesterday. After the first full day of going and doing well in excess of what the doc authorized, I’m in some pretty decent discomfort today. Listen to your doc and take it easy.

Also, USE THE IMMOBILIZER with the sling. if you turn around and ram your elbow into a wall without the immobilizer pillow installed, it hurts real, real bad. According to my daughters, it’ll make you sound like a sheep getting strangled.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        Just found out after an MRI and X Rays that I have 2 torn tendons, a biceps tear and partial torn rotator cuff. Surgery on Nov 3.

Biceps tear cannot be fixed because of too much scar tissue and the age of the tear.

There goes opening weekend and definitely no bow hunting. My season may be shot this year!
                        Might check with your doc to see his opinion of biologics-PRP or bone marrow shots into the affected area during surgery. My doc was not sold on them when he did my right shoulder, after reviewing lots of data and seeing the results (he's a consulting shoulder doc for the Cowboys, SMU, Stars and a couple of other teams) he went ahead with a bone marrow injection into the joint and PRP into the tears on my left shoulder.

May have been psychological, but my rehab, recovery and return to activity was 6 week faster on my left side. I had similar issues- multiple cuff tears, bicep and labrum tears, AC joint clean up and collar bone clean up.

Rehab and be smart about return to activity.

Comment

I feel your pain, 4 different times.

Comment

At 67, you can dang sure bet that I will follow the Doc's advice to the letter. I do have a nice recliner and will look into the ice therapy machine! i wonder if you can rent or have to buy them?

Comment

Both shoulders replaced Jan 15 and April 30 of this year.

Second neck fusion Sept 30.

Just now looking like I may be able to shoot a 40 lb recurve this coming Monday.

The cold machine that pumps refrigerated alcohol was great

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                At 67, you can dang sure bet that I will follow the Doc's advice to the letter. I do have a nice recliner and will look into the ice therapy machine! i wonder if you can rent or have to buy them?
                                my friend got a igloo and pump that pumped ice water through lines to a chiller pad on his shoulder..said it became his best friend QUICK....good luck MS

Comment

Working...
                                X