Sentimental Value Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sentimental Value Thoughts

This has to do with guns. I’ve got guns that I don’t need. I have my first shotgun, rifle and a Daisy 22 that I don’t use, really have no use for, and that take up space. Do y’all hold on to these types of guns just because? I want to get rid of them to declutter but kind of feel guilty.

So far ive held on to all my "first" guns. However i wouldnt hesitate to sell them if needed. I do have a 22 from Grandpa that will go to my kids

Comment

My first guns and bow were passed to my son when he was young. Or younger. At 20 he isnt exactly well aged yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hold onto them and pass them down to kids or grandkids.

Comment

One day, your kids and grandkids will be glad you hung onto your first gun. I have my great-granddad's Colt 1911, my granddad's first 12ga, and I'll get my dad's first 12ga. I'll pass those on to my grandsons, along with my first shotgun (.410) and rifle (Savage 7mm-08). I'll leave my kids and grandkids well over 100 guns, but those are the only ones I care about them holding onto and passing on.

Comment

I’m a sentimental sucker. I have my first Rem Mohawk 600 .243 that I got when I was 8 and my H&R 20 gauge, Western Field bolt 410, and lots of others. I’ve got a lot of other stuff I will sell before those guns. I hope to never have to get to that point. I know lots of folks that subscribe to the “guns are only tools” model but mine take me back to times with my dad and grandpa who are both no longer here and I really enjoy those memories in the field. I’d hang onto AND use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have my first shotgun and pistol. I have my brothers first BB gun and rifle. I do hang onto them for sentimental reasons. I don't have any kids. I reckon I'll just sell them one day...

Comment

Like many of y’all I have several that I will likely never shoot again but they will be in the safe when I die. A single shot 20 I got on my 10th Christmas, a 50’s era 16 gauge pump that was my grandfathers and 2 other shotguns that were my dads. None of them are particularly valueable but I can’t get rid of them. I’ll let our boys deal with it when I’m gone.

Comment

Some guns I will buy sell/trade and beat the snot out of. Some go on easy hunts to bring back the past and I enjoy that and hope to pass that along. I would keep any firearm with sentimental value. I hope to get a few into that category of memories to pass along when I am gone. I primarily hunt with 1 rife and 1 shotgun. Nothing special about them but I hope someone sees them different than I do when I’m gone and it brings back a good memory. If not I’ll be dead anyway and probably won’t care lol.

Comment

Just had this talk with my son yesterday. Guns don't come easy to me, so when I get one I hold onto it...except pistols.

I have my first shotgun I ever bought (Beretta 390), my field gun that I won in a raffle at work (Browning Maxus), a rifle that my wife's uncle gave me as my first deer rifle (Marlin JM stamped 30-30), and my dad's guns that I recently inherited (Rem 1100 left eject, an unknown brand 22, and a 70 year old 870 Wingmaster that my boy hunted with yesterday).

Hunting has always been a luxury growing up, and it's something I don't get to do very often. Each one of them have memories that another owner wouldn't appreciate like I do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by firemanjj82; 09-07-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Would you like to have your grandparents stuff? I have a 410 that was my grandpas and aint no way on heak its for sale. Also have my 3030 I got when I turned 13, killed my first deer with it. It doesnt have a price either. Both will be handed to my son (currently 6yo) when the time is right.

Comment

Absolutely you should hold onto them, and here’s why: these are “legacy” items. Sentimentality aside, they represent the morals, the values, and the personal ethics you and/or your forbearers lived by, and help ensure that these qualities are passed down to future generations of you. Their intrinsic value is an aside. Rather, these items, along with the stories that go with them, will not only provide a “character compass” for your children and grandchildren, they also serve as a connection to their past, and an understanding that they are a part of something larger (a family) with all of the privileges and obligations that go with that.

Comment

My "first" guns and family hand-me-downs will go to my grandsons, most aren't in good enough condition or collectible enough to be worth much, so they'll go to where I hope they will be appreciated for their true value, which is what they've meant me and those that passed them on to me.

Comment

I've regretted selling or trading almost every gun that I did so with, even if it was for another gun. So I just quit doing that several years ago.

I've also got some that were passed down. And some "first", that will never be traded or sold while I'm alive, that will get passed along. There may be a couple that I donate to a museum a little later in life. But most will never be sold or traded again if I can help it.

Comment

It’s hard for me to get rid of any gun they are full of memories.I have several from Father and Grandfathers and other special people.I try and use em all every few years jus to bring back the memories.I recently acquired a step son hopefully I’ll be able to pass them down to him over the years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X