Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck guys

Comment

It still says "Pending 2nd Draw", so I guess it will be tomorrow!!!.

Comment

Originally posted by sooner_hunter View Post
        I was drawn for the rifle hunt in January - anyone else on here drawn for that hunt? 1/18-20?

Not sure if this is the right discussion forum for that or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I also got drawn for those dates, first time drawn for the rifle hunt at laguna very excited to start my year there hopefully cooler weather and no mosquitos

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          I’ve watched tons of YouTube videos of nilgai in the wild. You could call me an expert of sorts [emoji41]

Check out some videos of Nilgai bulls fighting. I definitely had that on my mind while I was busting through that thick brush out there last year... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            I rode a little ways down county road.

Huntindad, did you find me a place to set up ? [emoji16]

Comment

yeah, next to the mesquite tree in the tall grass. That's bout all I saw riding down that road. granted, I didn't go real far. it is a looonnng road.

Comment

I imagine when the hunt starts that road will be a parallel parking lot with all the trucks parked on the side.

that was my first time on the LANWR and boy it sure is green out there. Will be hard to find a spot. After the hunt starts, I really don't to go walking around looking for a spot cause I don't want to interfere with others. Will be interesting.

another option is to get up on the hill and see where the Nilgai are being pushed from..LOL

Comment

anyone else hunting the rifle hunt Jan 11-13

Comment

Originally posted by DannyGarcia View Post
                    I also got drawn for those dates, first time drawn for the rifle hunt at laguna very excited to start my year there hopefully cooler weather and no mosquitos

Awesome, are you planning on camping or lodging at a hotel? I’m hunting solo which isn’t the greatest idea on this one if you want to be able to go far back.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      yeah, next to the mesquite tree in the tall grass. That's bout all I saw riding down that road. granted, I didn't go real far. it is a looonnng road.

Thanks [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I'll be there the 1/4-1/6 rifle hunt. Really looking forward to it!

Comment

Didn't get the rifle hunt again this year. 18 years in a row of not getting selected.

Comment

if I remember right looking at the past number of entries, it is getting as tough to get drawn there as Chap.

Wouldn't be a bad thing to have "X" amount of drawn hunters and "X" amount open for standby's it being as far south as it is, allowing for locals to have a better chance at participating.

Comment

I really with they would have standby spots. It is possible at the Atascosa, I just think they choose not to. There are other factors that might make that difficult. One being that you can access the refuge from anywhere along the highway and that would make it difficult to see who actually shows up for the hunt that paid. Before we used to have to check out when we left and you let them know if you killed anything or not. Now you can just leave without checking out if you did not harvest anything.

Comment

yeah, I think they can have stand by's. choose them at the start of orientation like other places do. I also think that folks should check out regardless if they shoot something. Staff should know who is out and who is off the property... for safeties sake. It is a big place and would be hard to manage. But, they could do it, especially if they required the hunters to participate. all the other TPWD hunts I have been on have a check in / out procedure. I would like to think that if I didn't come in from an afternoon hunt...some one would be aware and come looking for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X