Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #51
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
X2

I say it every year on the Laguna threads, but Iíve hunted Laguna multiple years and hunted south Texas all my life and I do not wear snake boots. I bought a pair of them last year and wore them one time and more than likely wonít wear them again. I just wear merrel hiking shoes and watch where I walk.
A lot of times I was walking in tall grass and could not see the ground. A few times I found my self the tall grass in standing water. That was not a good feeling. If you choose not to wear snake boots, that's fine, me... I will have them on. Good luck to all down there.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #52
BigRed323
Ten Point
 
BigRed323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Hunt In: Texas, Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
A lot of times I was walking in tall grass and could not see the ground. A few times I found my self the tall grass in standing water. That was not a good feeling. If you choose not to wear snake boots, that's fine, me... I will have them on. Good luck to all down there.
Yup completely understand. Definitely a good idea to wear them, but absolutely necessary? Nope

But for those that are interested, there are definitely snakes out there lol. Had one coil up underneath my tripod one year and sat there till dark.

Last edited by BigRed323; 09-04-2020 at 09:01 PM.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #53
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bastrop
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

For you guys who have been here in the past bow hunts, 200 permits seems like a lot. Were there Joe blows walking the roads all day?
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #54
HighwayHunter
Ten Point
 
HighwayHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
For you guys who have been here in the past bow hunts, 200 permits seems like a lot. Were there Joe blows walking the roads all day?

Itís a big area. Iíd assume itís pretty easy for everyone to get out there and get away from everyone else


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #55
CAP
Spike
 
CAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

I did one of the archery hunts down there last year. Had a great time, but couldn't make it happen on a deer or nilgai.

The only snake i saw was a HUGE blue indigo that stretched halfway across one of the roads i was riding my bicycle on.

For those who are riding bikes, bring lots of tire repair stuff and extra tubes.
CAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #56
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

Couple years ago I was in unit 1 and saw a lot of folks walking / biking the road a lot. I think most of the people & Nilgai are in units 3 & 8.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #57
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

anyone got places to stay other than the 11/20 hunt, I'd be interested in hearing bouts the details. I am trying to line up someplace and it's looking a little scarce at the moment. I have one pace that is a maybe.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 04:55 AM   #58
gemini2759
Ten Point
 
gemini2759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Isabel
Hunt In: Jim Hogg, public land
Default

Port isla inn and white sands in port isabel. Executive suite in Laguna vista. White

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 06:15 AM   #59
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
For you guys who have been here in the past bow hunts, 200 permits seems like a lot. Were there Joe blows walking the roads all day?


Yes, Itís a good bit of people, but youíll find a rhythm. You will definitely run into other hunters, but not constantly. And the hunter activity drops off pretty sharply after Sunday morning.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #60
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP View Post
I did one of the archery hunts down there last year. Had a great time, but couldn't make it happen on a deer or nilgai.

The only snake i saw was a HUGE blue indigo that stretched halfway across one of the roads i was riding my bicycle on.

For those who are riding bikes, bring lots of tire repair stuff and extra tubes.


Same. In two hunts I only saw 2 snakes. Both were HUGE indigo snakes. Beautiful creatures.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #61
chancito1
Ten Point
 
chancito1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bastrop Tx
Hunt In: South Texas/Kempner
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
Anyone get lodging? I am looking to find a house or something down there for the 11/20 hunt.

if you find a place for a different hunt date, let me know & I can see if it is available for 11/20
Seaway village in arroyo city has some small apartments we stay there
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #62
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bastrop
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

I plan on hunting the entire time. Headed down on 18th for scouting weekend.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #63
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

I think I found a place for my group.

you guys know you can go down there anytime to hike & bike. Just pay the 3.00 day fee and knock your self out. I am heading down there end of October to bird watch.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #64
Romulan
Four Point
 
Romulan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
Port isla inn and white sands in port isabel. Executive suite in Laguna vista. White

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I second Port Isla Inn - clean and full size kitchen

Donít go to Executive Suite Inn - the owner over charged me and then accused me of having a couple of women staying with me ... I told him I wish lol!! Turns out it was the guys next to us that were there for a bbq cook off or something like that
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 09:15 PM   #65
Romulan
Four Point
 
Romulan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

Iím still pending...come on Iím sure there are some of you that donít really want this hunt and the hard work (hiking/biking, dealing with mosquitoes/snakes) it requires... just donít confirm so I can go!! Haha just kidding- but Iíve pasted the times you need to not confirm
Attached Images
 
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 09:15 PM   #66
philipolsen
Four Point
 
philipolsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: where ever i can
Default

I will be headed down for my 4th trip this year, hopefully I get lucky this year, been close a couple times but have yet to harvest anything
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #67
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
Iím still pending...come on Iím sure there are some of you that donít really want this hunt and the hard work (hiking/biking, dealing with mosquitoes/snakes) it requires... just donít confirm so I can go!! Haha just kidding- but Iíve pasted the times you need to not confirm
X2. Need a couple guys to back out and give me a chance at a 2nd draw
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 01:04 AM   #68
TXFireFighter
Ten Point
 
TXFireFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA
Default

We drew the 12/4 hunt. You fellas in the first 2 hunt periods leave us a few. Goodluck to everyone
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 05:40 AM   #69
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

This will be my 3rd trip.

1st time I walked. It worked and I had plenty of opportunities, but I spent so much time just trying to get where I was headed.

2nd time I biked. Improved my ability to reach my target areas and not waste the 1st hour of daylight speed walking down the gravel, but the mesquite thorns... I think I averaged 1.5 flats/day.

3rd times the charm? this time Iím really ready... now running tubeless tires and I added this game cart/bike trailer from Sherpa. Great guy and great customer service, btw.

Good luck to everyone!



FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 06:01 AM   #70
ArcheryNerd
Eight Point
 
ArcheryNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bulverde
Hunt In: anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuyy View Post
This will be my 3rd trip.

1st time I walked. It worked and I had plenty of opportunities, but I spent so much time just trying to get where I was headed.

2nd time I biked. Improved my ability to reach my target areas and not waste the 1st hour of daylight speed walking down the gravel, but the mesquite thorns... I think I averaged 1.5 flats/day.

3rd times the charm? this time Iím really ready... now running tubeless tires and I added this game cart/bike trailer from Sherpa. Great guy and great customer service, btw.

Good luck to everyone!
Nice rig, can you post a bigger picture? Just kidding...

Seriously though that's a nice rig and I like how your cart is attached with a cable I bet that's super quiet and flexible.

Are you running tubeless or airless?

I am working on gearing up for this my first year I drew the deer / nilgai tag. It looks like I am going to be a solo hunter and I think I am going to just tent camp.
ArcheryNerd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #71
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bastrop
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Nice fire extinguisher mounts! I'm guessing that's for extra water?

After reading your previous posts and now this one, I'm understanding the importance of not wasting time. I had planned on hiking in, but if I can bike and arrive at destination earlier and in less sweat, I like that.

Nice setup. Believe I will play copy cat.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #72
Romulan
Four Point
 
Romulan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

FlyGuy - nice setup! I used to mt. bike and it looks like your rig costs more than my car

Seriously - I hope you bag a nice looking bull - LAWR is definitely a serious hunt and it takes time to learn the in's and out's - hopefully if I get drawn I'm taking my fat tire (the bike and maybe the beers for later )
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #73
gdouty
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Humble, TX
Hunt In: Texas and Beyond...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I think I found a place for my group.

you guys know you can go down there anytime to hike & bike. Just pay the 3.00 day fee and knock your self out. I am heading down there end of October to bird watch.
Any idea if this general access approach gets you access to all or some of the the hunting areas?
gdouty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #74
whirlybird
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I think I found a place for my group.

you guys know you can go down there anytime to hike & bike. Just pay the 3.00 day fee and knock your self out. I am heading down there end of October to bird watch.
I think I remember reading that you have to stay on the paths/trails unless it is during a hunt/scouting days, does anyone know if that is the case?
whirlybird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #75
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouty View Post
Any idea if this general access approach gets you access to all or some of the the hunting areas?
That, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybird View Post
I think I remember reading that you have to stay on the paths/trails unless it is during a hunt/scouting days, does anyone know if that is the case?
do Nilgai trails count
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #76
gemini2759
Ten Point
 
gemini2759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Isabel
Hunt In: Jim Hogg, public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouty View Post
Any idea if this general access approach gets you access to all or some of the the hunting areas?
The gate to the north to sections 5 and 8 will be closed.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 09:12 PM   #77
CaptTank
Six Point
 
CaptTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Harwood
Hunt In: Bee Co, Goliad Co, Gonzales Co, Fayette Co,Real Co., Caldwell County
Default

Got drawn for 11-6


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CaptTank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 05:22 AM   #78
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Nice fire extinguisher mounts! I'm guessing that's for extra water?

After reading your previous posts and now this one, I'm understanding the importance of not wasting time. I had planned on hiking in, but if I can bike and arrive at destination earlier and in less sweat, I like that.

Nice setup. Believe I will play copy cat.


HaHa! Yes, the bike is set up for ďbike packingĒ. But Now that I have the trailer I may remove those front fork mounts, but Iíve taken to leaving my Nalgene bottles there so weíll see....
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #79
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
Nice rig, can you post a bigger picture? Just kidding...



Seriously though that's a nice rig and I like how your cart is attached with a cable I bet that's super quiet and flexible.



Are you running tubeless or airless?



I am working on gearing up for this my first year I drew the deer / nilgai tag. It looks like I am going to be a solo hunter and I think I am going to just tent camp.


The cable connection seems to work gear and the connection itself is quiet, the cart itself tho is not. It collapses down by removing 4 hitchpins, but they rattle when the cart bounces. Itís not an obscene amount of noise, but itís there. I may play around with trying to secure them a little better to cut down on noise, but for this particular hunt it donít think the rattle will really be an issue.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 05:26 AM   #80
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuyy View Post
The cable connection seems to work gear and the connection itself is quiet, the cart itself tho is not. It collapses down by removing 4 hitchpins, but they rattle when the cart bounces. Itís not an obscene amount of noise, but itís there. I may play around with trying to secure them a little better to cut down on noise, but for this particular hunt it donít think the rattle will really be an issue.


Oh, and Iím running tubeless on the bike, airless on the cart.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #81
Buck Smacker
Four Point
 
Buck Smacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

@FlyGuyy Very cool set up on the bike. I'm getting mine together now. What did you use for the connection? I'm looking at options for easy on/off and trying to keep it quiet too.
Also what are you using for light, just a headlamp? I like having a gandlebar light and a headlamp, it gets dark on public land, real dark.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Buck Smacker; 09-09-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Buck Smacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #82
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

I have some headlamps that are pretty bright. May want to use those instead of mounting a light on the bike.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 11:04 PM   #83
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Smacker View Post
@FlyGuyy Very cool set up on the bike. I'm getting mine together now. What did you use for the connection? I'm looking at options for easy on/off and trying to keep it quiet too.
Also what are you using for light, just a headlamp? I like having a gandlebar light and a headlamp, it gets dark on public land, real dark.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I donít recall the brands, but I have two lights mounted on the handlebars. Both are bike specific products with appropriate mounts. One is AAA battery operated the other is rechargeable. One set to a wide beam, one set for longer reach. I try to save the headlamp battery when possible and use these. I donít often ride anything technical at night, but if I do then I throw the headlamp in there too.

I think itís important to have two lights for night riding b/c Itís very easy for one of them to get knocked around and off target. Then suddenly you are peddling into complete darkness and nothing good is going to happen in that situation.

The connection is from Sherpa (same as the cart). I had to rig it to work with my bike. Itís sold as a seat post mount, but my bike has a dropper post so that wouldnít work. I just U bolted it down to the rear rack. Not pretty, but very functional. I can take a pic in the am.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 02:46 AM   #84
mudmauler
Eight Point
 
mudmauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Refugio, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
Sent you a pm mudmauler. I'd go in for group lodging on the 11/6 hunt.

I didnít receive a PM


ďFools multiply when wise men are silentĒ -Nelson Mandela
mudmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #85
JackRyan
Six Point
 
JackRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Brownsville
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Just curious if y'all that are using bikes have dealt with mud at Laguna? I took bikes our first year at Laguna and after some rainy days the mud made them totally useless.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #86
capn
Four Point
 
capn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Baytown
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmauler View Post
I didnít receive a PM
Tried again from my phone this time. For some reason I have had a couple of pm's not go thru.

ArcheryNerd, I also sent you a pm.
capn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #87
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bastrop
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Anyone else going down for scouting weekend next week, 19th/20th?

I'm taking a buddy and we are staying on the beach in South Padre. He had 2 free hotel nights which made it much cheaper!
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #88
FlyGuyy
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
Just curious if y'all that are using bikes have dealt with mud at Laguna? I took bikes our first year at Laguna and after some rainy days the mud made them totally useless.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk


Yeah, The rains can make it harsh. Even walking in that clay/mud/grease sucks. Obviously the gravel roads arenít affected any but the dirt roads turn to mush. Fat tire or plus bikes are required for those conditions (but itís still a mess). a standard width Mtn bike tire canít distribute the weight on the soft surface and is just going to sink. An ebike with fat tires would be the ideal solution but they arenít in my price range!
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #89
piercebronkite
Four Point
 
piercebronkite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: South Texas, West Texas, Colorado
Default

One thing that I think that hasn't been mentioned is the time frame of entering the park. Last year they opened up 1.5 hours before daylight. It takes about 45 minutes to just enter the park, outside the park is 15mph and speed bumps everywhere and once you're inside its still a very slow long drive. Also count the hike/bike in to your spot. There were a couple of times where I just barely made it before first light and I was one of the first in there. There was also a morning where the park ranger did not show up to open the gate and lots of people were waiting for 30 minutes.

@Buck Smaker, I used a headlamp and a bike specific handlebar light. I crafted a flat bed trailer that I made out of an old Trek bike carrier that I bought for $20 on Facebook similar to this one. Super lightweight and simple.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #90
gdouty
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Humble, TX
Hunt In: Texas and Beyond...
Default

Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...
gdouty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #91
philipolsen
Four Point
 
philipolsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: where ever i can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouty View Post
Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...
I've looked into if before, but since you can't access the refuge from the park, its about a 45 min drive just to the front entrance from the park, you can stay in Los fresnos or Port Isabel and be about 20 minutes away
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #92
TXFireFighter
Ten Point
 
TXFireFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipolsen View Post
I've looked into if before, but since you can't access the refuge from the park, its about a 45 min drive just to the front entrance from the park, you can stay in Los fresnos or Port Isabel and be about 20 minutes away
What he said... unless you are hauling an RV down, I didnt think it was worth the extra effort. Camping fee is about the same $ as some of the cheap hotels in port isabel
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #93
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point
 
TXOUTLAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouty View Post
Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...

Call them and get details. We killed a nilgai in the evening. By the time we finished the red tape and getting him quartered in the freezer we were locked out of the park. They close the gate about 8 I think but that was a couple years ago. Iíd call and ask


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #94
mudmauler
Eight Point
 
mudmauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Refugio, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouty View Post
Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...

I have and it was more like 30 min from park to gate for me every morning. I pulled my brothers rv but there were many people that had just thrown out a tent. Iíd do it again if I had a camper. Port Isabel is pretty close to the entrance but have never stayed at those ďbudgetĒ hotels so couldnít say if itís a safe area or not. Would be a good option if break ins isnít a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mudmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #95
DHOutdoorsman
Four Point
 
DHOutdoorsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Elgin, TX
Hunt In: all Public Lands, and soon to be Granger for Hogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouty View Post
Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...
I did last year, with quite a few other hunters to..maybe 7-8 other hunters that had tags, its just a 45 min trip to the park entrance. Campsite and hook-up were fine..
DHOutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #96
gdouty
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Humble, TX
Hunt In: Texas and Beyond...
Default

Very helpful info, thanks for the feedback! I think we are going to try to find a place nearby.

What has the experience been like with the walk-in cooler at the check station? Curious if that is a reliable place to plan on leaving game until we leave.
gdouty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #97
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

I brought in an old fugly 5 point couple years ago. Cooler was spacious enough. Staff seemed to be stretched thin. I was able to bring in my cooler with the meat in it, quartered up.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #98
CentralTXHunter
Six Point
 
CentralTXHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Holy smokes! I got drawn on second draw! 11/20 hunt!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2020, 06:22 AM   #99
RiverRat00
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
Holy smokes! I got drawn on second draw! 11/20 hunt!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We gave up 2 permits (forgot to pay )for 12/04 to 12/08 hunt.

More winners to come on 2nd draw.

Congratulation

Last edited by RiverRat00; 09-12-2020 at 06:52 AM.
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #100
merlin
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Default

Dang.........someone started a thread to remind everyone of the deadline to pay
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com