Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #51
rossivey
Pope & Young
 
rossivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lamasco, TX
Hunt In: Fannin Co.
Default

Beat me to it. That 5 profiles is awesome, whether you use all five or not. The fact that you can is perfect. Kinda makes one scope into five scopes. Justifies the price more in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #52
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossivey View Post
Beat me to it. That 5 profiles is awesome, whether you use all five or not. The fact that you can is perfect. Kinda makes one scope into five scopes. Justifies the price more in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sure does. Makes me want my own now. But I'll borrow one for a while until I'm not broke and poor
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #53
Zen Archery
Ten Point
 
Zen Archery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, Texas
Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!
Default

Thermaled my first boar of the year thanks to a cell game cam and a brisk 700 yard jog! Nothing like a 6x zoom at 60 yards (FLIR 736) to string the bullet through some thick brush!
Click here for video.

Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #54
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

I have a REAP and am intrigued about the HALO and the 3.5 zoom.

Pulsar was smart and forced another upgrade by discontinuing the Trail model and adding a LRF and adding $500 also. They know what they are doing since they got into the market and taken a good chunk of it with their thermal scopes.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #55
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Archery View Post
Thermaled my first boar of the year thanks to a cell game cam and a brisk 700 yard jog! Nothing like a 6x zoom at 60 yards (FLIR 736) to string the bullet through some thick brush!
Click here for video.

Man I wish their video looked like that thru the eyepiece. Their videos are legit and so much better then the actual eyepiece.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #56
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Hunt In: mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
The thermion has 5 profiles with 10 distance settings. So I should have said a couple extra profiles. And to me the battery life is better than my buddies Trails.

And you're wrong Mr FancyPants, the trail has 3 profiles with 5 settings each making it 15 total. At least the latest/newest trail models do.

agree to disagree
Oh man! You are right. I did not know the Thermion had 5 x 10. The Trail actually has 3 x 10. Here's the manual. Both are way more than any reasonable person will ever need.

And I forgot that, although the Thermion external battery is only 2000 mAh vs the Trail's 5000 mAh, the Thermion also has that 3200 mAh internal batt. My bad.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #57
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Oh man! You are right. I did not know the Thermion had 5 x 10. The Trail actually has 3 x 10. Here's the manual. Both are way more than any reasonable person will ever need.

And I forgot that, although the Thermion external battery is only 2000 mAh vs the Trail's 5000 mAh, the Thermion also has that 3200 mAh internal batt. My bad.
You are forgiven my son!

But yea, way too many settings. 3 maybe 4 is enough for anyone. Now lets go hunt sometime.
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #58
Grulla
Ten Point
 
Grulla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yoakum tx
Hunt In: Guadalupe River
Default

Name:  887B7BA3-14B3-4D68-AF49-D66249D12C97.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  79.3 KB


Wraith strikes again !!!
Grulla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #59
JRM
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

How many of you guys are hunting between sulfur springs and Winnsboro?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #60
Russ81
Pope & Young
 
Russ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazoria Co.
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
How many of you guys are hunting between sulfur springs and Winnsboro?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím down on the coast but in Longview for work. Yíall are a target rich environment up here!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #61
JRM
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Iím down on the coast but in Longview for work. Yíall are a target rich environment up here!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Same here. I live over between Waco and Corsicana, but Iím here working. I have thermals, cans and guns up here with me. Lol I just need some places to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #62
Russ81
Pope & Young
 
Russ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazoria Co.
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Same here. I live over between Waco and Corsicana, but Iím here working. I have thermals, cans and guns up here with me. Lol I just need some places to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatís my big purchase this year, all my buddies got cans so Iím gonna get a new .308 upper with a shorter barrel and a can.

Didnít bring my rig but Iíve been making friends and putting bugs in landowners ears along the ROW


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #63
Jim_IV
Eight Point
 
Jim_IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hopkins County
Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default

Shot this guy a couple weeks ago with the PTS536 @ 230 yards. Called in 6 dogs that night but couldnít get them to commit closer than about 200 yards.
Jim_IV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #64
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_IV View Post
Shot this guy a couple weeks ago with the PTS536 @ 230 yards. Called in 6 dogs that night but couldnít get them to commit closer than about 200 yards.
Good kill! Question on your flir, did you mess with the fine tune settings to get a better picture? I turned the smartscene totally off because when it sensed heat it would white out the screen. I didnít like it flipping back and forth while scanning.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #65
Zen Archery
Ten Point
 
Zen Archery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, Texas
Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Man I wish their video looked like that thru the eyepiece. Their videos are legit and so much better then the actual eyepiece.
You are comparing one eye looking at a 3.3Ē CCD screen versus 2 eyes looking at a 15Ē HD 4K monitor itís gonna look better. But the recording system easily loses a lot of clarity. So live is still better in my experience.
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #66
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Hunt In: mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Now lets go hunt sometime.
You gonna put that bow down for a hot minute? Say it ain't so!!
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #67
Jim_IV
Eight Point
 
Jim_IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hopkins County
Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Good kill! Question on your flir, did you mess with the fine tune settings to get a better picture? I turned the smartscene totally off because when it sensed heat it would white out the screen. I didnít like it flipping back and forth while scanning.


Yes, I fine tuned it some. I typically run white hot or outdoor alert depending on conditions. This night was really foggy and I was impressed with the distance I could see. The background wasnít near as crisp as a typical night but it got the job done. I also run a pulsar quantum lite to scan with so the Flir is for long range ID and shooting only.
Jim_IV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #68
LMiz
Ten Point
 
LMiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Huntsville
Default

Just got the Armasight Zeus 336 looking forward to breaking it in this weekend. I have had the Photon RT for almost 2 years now and I am super excited to finally have thermal.

My buddy just got the Wraith and I will say that the Wraiths NV capabilities are not as good as the Photon straight out of the box. The photon can see much further and is better at picking up ambient light from the moon.
He bought the Coyote IR light and although the IR light is as big as the scope he can see a lot further and can spot and ID animals over 500 yards away.
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #69
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Archery View Post
You are comparing one eye looking at a 3.3Ē CCD screen versus 2 eyes looking at a 15Ē HD 4K monitor itís gonna look better. But the recording system easily loses a lot of clarity. So live is still better in my experience.
To me the video's look way better. It does not look like that thru the scope. No chance.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #70
JeffK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default

On the reviews for the wraith, they are saying out to 200 yards. Is that in pitch black with IR light?

With a full moon, can you see and ID much further? Is the IR light even needed?
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #71
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
You gonna put that bow down for a hot minute? Say it ain't so!!
I got two more weeks of bow hunting before I give it up for a week or two

Honestly I think I'm done with the bow for a while. That lil pig I shot with my rifle last week got my trigger finger itching real good. Plus its varmint season and I wanna do a few comps
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #72
Russ81
Pope & Young
 
Russ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazoria Co.
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Staying in Longview for work and found a pulsar Trail type battery cover in the parking lot.

Both mine are at the house, if you stayed here this week holla and Iíll get it back too ya


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #73
32drawlength
Pope & Young
 
32drawlength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia
Default

May need help from you guys with NV/thermals...

Iím helping on a 500 acre high fence 60 minutes south of Dallas that weíd love to have some varmints taken care of
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #74
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

Name:  IMG_2131.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  52.5 KBName:  IMG_2121.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  75.6 KBName:  IMG_2103.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  84.4 KB

So far 2020 has been pretty slow for me. Iíve been out twice and only seen and killed one boar each night.

First one was with the 20Ē grendel wearing the wraith shot between the eyes 125yards.

2nd boar was shot with a 16Ē 458 socom wearing the wraith 140 yard shot 325gr hornady FTX bullet crushed the front leg and he fell straight over.

Hopefully the action will pick up soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #75
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Iíve got a flir pts536 that I use for driving around our cornfields and pastures and itís very nice for that purpose, but not for walking and stalking. Question is does the halo 3.5 have to much magnification for stalking up on a pack of hogs at 30-75 yds, is the field of view wide enough?
The Halo LR isn't really 3.5x although the specs say that. The general consensus is that it's closer to 3 or 3.25x. I don't think it's too much for 30 yards if you don't plan on taking a lot of follow up shots but it's definitely not too much for 75 yards. It's definitely a touch more than I'd want for 50 yards or less IF you're planning on taking a bunch of follow up shots. I've used it at 30-40 yards with no problem and it's definitely a MUCH wider FOV than the PTS536 but it's still a little more mag that I'd want for tons of those close shots.

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #76
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
I've been thinking about the same thing.

GS or Jason, any advice on the cheaper hand helds? By cheaper I'm talking about something in the $300-$500 range like the Leupold quest. Would something like that work? I see the range on the Leupold is ~300 yds which is fine for me. If that is the only limitation, I could make that work. With that said, I know nothing about thermal so I have no clue what would work and not work, especially in a hunting situation. I have also seen the Seek phone attachments but I'm guessing those wouldn't work in a hunting situation.
I've used and sold them all. In my opinion, the Leupold LTO Tracker (and the Quest) are good little thermals for finding a dead deer or hog in the woods. That's what they were designed for. If you want to look around the back yard to see what the dog is barking at, they're good for that too. But for real spotting in hunting situations...they really don't cut the mustard for several reasons. First off, a positive ID range is very limited and a "pretty sure" ID range is limited to about 100 yards give or take on larger animals like deer. When you get out past that everything turns into a tiny white blob and getting on out into the 200 yard range they turn into a white dot at best. Another huge downfall is that when using the Tracker or the Quest your face is lit up like a Christmas tree because you don't put your eye up to the optic like a monocular. They are both remote viewers, meaning you hold them out away from your eye.

The FLIR TK Scout is a handheld thermal monocular that has similar image quality, if not a step down. It also has a non-removable rechargeable battery, so when it dies you have a paper weight.

I quit selling the Leupolds and the TK Scout because no matter how much warning I gave people, no matter how much I told them it wasn't going to do what they wanted it to, people still bought them and wanted to return them. They are a fun toy but that's about it. For real in the field hunting, spotting and ID'ing, you're looking at spending about $1,699+ and that would be something like the Pulsar Axion thermal monocular. I keep hoping we will see something down there in the $1,000 range but so far the quality at those kinds of prices are just sub-par.

Hope that helps!

- Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #77
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
On the reviews for the wraith, they are saying out to 200 yards. Is that in pitch black with IR light?

With a full moon, can you see and ID much further? Is the IR light even needed?
Yes sir, pitch black night you can see 150-200 yards. 150-175 is very realistic. A full moon will get you out to 200ish but the Wraith HD does not do well at picking up ambient/moon light. If you add something like a Sniper Hog Light 66LRX to the Wraith, you can easily see out to 400+ yards. It's a nigh and day difference, no pun intended.

The IR on the Wraith is really good though considering what has been included in the past with $500 digital NV optics. If you're only needing to see 175ish yards or less, it will do you fine but if you want to go further, you're going to need to add a really big and bright IR.

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 05:42 AM   #78
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
On the reviews for the wraith, they are saying out to 200 yards. Is that in pitch black with IR light?



With a full moon, can you see and ID much further? Is the IR light even needed?


With my wraith on average on a dark night I can see 200 yards pretty easily. On bright nights depending on the back ground and terrain I can see a few hundred yards. Thatís with stock IR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #79
LMiz
Ten Point
 
LMiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Huntsville
Default

Jason

I have the Armasight Zeus 336

I am wanting to video record but was wondering if there is a cheaper or better route than the Flir DVR?

I found a few cables on your website but I am not sure what else to buy.
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #80
LMiz
Ten Point
 
LMiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Huntsville
Default



Here is a picture from my first night out with the Zeus
Had another shooter with the Photon and another with the wraith


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #81
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiz View Post


Here is a picture from my first night out with the Zeus
Had another shooter with the Photon and another with the wraith


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good work!! One guy needs a suppressor
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #82
LMiz
Ten Point
 
LMiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Huntsville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Good work!! One guy needs a suppressor
Preaching to the choir with that comment haha

We make him set up 10-15 feet away from us when we start shooting.

Once you get a suppressor you will begin to hate how loud your buddys ARs is without one. Especially if he is standing anywhere near you.
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #83
kkp005
Eight Point
 
kkp005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Madisonville
Hunt In: Madison County
Default



Got this boar the other night by using the convergent bullet. Ever seen a boar with just top teeth and no bottom ?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #84
Russ81
Pope & Young
 
Russ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazoria Co.
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post


Got this boar the other night by using the convergent bullet. Ever seen a boar with just top teeth and no bottom ?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup if they really get to brawling theyíll bust them off. What rifle you running?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #85
kparker158
Ten Point
 
kparker158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Porter Tx
Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas
Default

Anyone have feed back on the Thor 4 384 scopes?
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #86
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post


Got this boar the other night by using the convergent bullet. Ever seen a boar with just top teeth and no bottom ?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Question on th nvision... Do you have to close the eyepiece and manually nuc it all the time like the Trijicon reap ir? If so Iím not sure if I want one
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #87
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
The Halo LR isn't really 3.5x although the specs say that. The general consensus is that it's closer to 3 or 3.25x. I don't think it's too much for 30 yards if you don't plan on taking a lot of follow up shots but it's definitely not too much for 75 yards. It's definitely a touch more than I'd want for 50 yards or less IF you're planning on taking a bunch of follow up shots. I've used it at 30-40 yards with no problem and it's definitely a MUCH wider FOV than the PTS536 but it's still a little more mag that I'd want for tons of those close shots.

Jason
Thinking halo 25mm is what I need, but not sure about the Nuc process on these. Manually nucing all the time might be a deal breaker for me, my buddy has a reap ir and he hates it.

Watched Hans review and didn’t hear him mention anything about it, maybe I missed it.

Last edited by RMW; 01-13-2020 at 07:33 PM.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #88
kkp005
Eight Point
 
kkp005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Madisonville
Hunt In: Madison County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Yup if they really get to brawling theyíll bust them off. What rifle you running?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That ones a 7.62 x 39 palmetto state
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #89
kkp005
Eight Point
 
kkp005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Madisonville
Hunt In: Madison County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Question on th nvision... Do you have to close the eyepiece and manually nuc it all the time like the Trijicon reap ir? If so Iím not sure if I want one
Yes sir as far as I know thatís the only way to do it. I put my hand in front sometimes and do it that way. To me the image stays good for a pretty long time in between nucs. I kind of like the Manual Nuc so you donít have to worry about it nucing in the middle of the action
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #90
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Yes sir as far as I know thatís the only way to do it. I put my hand in front sometimes and do it that way. To me the image stays good for a pretty long time in between nucs. I kind of like the Manual Nuc so you donít have to worry about it nucing in the middle of the action
How long is a long time? 3,5,or 10 min

Is it just pressing one button
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #91
Russ81
Pope & Young
 
Russ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazoria Co.
Hunt In: Texas
Default The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
That ones a 7.62 x 39 palmetto state

Thatís what I thought, Iím jonesing reeeeeeeal bad for one of those! 7.62x39 in a AR15 weight? Chuuiiute yea!

Howís it cycling with the suppressor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #92
kkp005
Eight Point
 
kkp005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Madisonville
Hunt In: Madison County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
How long is a long time? 3,5,or 10 min

Is it just pressing one button
Man to be honest I couldnít tell you. Iíve just made it a habit to automatically do it every few minutes.. I know Iíve gone at least 5 minutes without hitting the Nuc. Yes itís just one button to hit and extremely easy to do. Now that Iím used to the layout of the buttons, I find it really easy to operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Thatís what I thought, Iím jonesing reeeeeeeal bad for one of those! 7.62x39 in a AR15 weight? Chuuiiute yea!

Howís it cycling with the suppressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Iíve swapped over to exclusively shooting the 7.62 x 39 on my thermals. I run a 10.5Ē Radical firearms pistol with my pulsar and the 16Ē PSA with my Nvision. They sure are handy to carry. The pistol is perfect for long stalks.

Itís functioned pretty well. Iíll have a jam every now and then but itís easy to clear. The biggest thing with the x39 caliber is good mags. C product mags are the only way to go.
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #93
txcntryboy
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arlington, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere I can...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
How long is a long time? 3,5,or 10 min



Is it just pressing one button


Iíve got a Halo as well and from my experience itís once every five minutes for the first 15-20 minutes you have it on and itís warming up, you may get some lines creeping after that but itís very limited afterwards. Iíve never had an issue or noticed having to do it too much, itís a quick flap and button push and 3 seconds later youíre back in action, usually easy to do when moving down a trail or from spot to spot. If you miss something in that 3-4 seconds you probably didnít have much of a chance anyway.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txcntryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #94
txcntryboy
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arlington, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere I can...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Thatís what I thought, Iím jonesing reeeeeeeal bad for one of those! 7.62x39 in a AR15 weight? Chuuiiute yea!

Howís it cycling with the suppressor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Primary Weapons Systems baby!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txcntryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #95
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Hunt In: mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker158 View Post
Anyone have feed back on the Thor 4 384 scopes?
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #96
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker158 View Post
Anyone have feed back on the Thor 4 384 scopes?
You won't find a lot of love for ATN from a lot of experienced night vision/thermal users. ATN has become known for cheap scopes with lots of bells and whistles but the quality control and customer service are not up to par with what most people are looking for when spending this kind of money. I quit selling their optics 3+ years ago after endless problems and countless unhappy customers. Customer service, warranty repair and quality control can range from a fiasco to a three ring circus. My advice, don't let the prices and frills tempt you. There are a lot of better, more reliable options out there.

My disclaimer is, one day this could change and they could get their act together and I'm rooting for them but they definitely aren't there yet.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 12:12 AM   #97
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiz View Post
Jason

I have the Armasight Zeus 336

I am wanting to video record but was wondering if there is a cheaper or better route than the Flir DVR?

I found a few cables on your website but I am not sure what else to buy.
Sure thing, glad to help. You need this....

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produc...nt=42383732501

And you'll need a custom recording cable for the Zeus. This is it.... It's out of stock but send me a PM and I can have one in 24 hours. I don't stock the Zeus cable anymore because there aren't a lot of people buying MDVR's for them now days.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produc...nt=42383737045


- Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #98
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
You won't find a lot of love for ATN from a lot of experienced night vision/thermal users. ATN has become known for cheap scopes with lots of bells and whistles but the quality control and customer service are not up to par with what most people are looking for when spending this kind of money. I quit selling their optics 3+ years ago after endless problems and countless unhappy customers. Customer service, warranty repair and quality control can range from a fiasco to a three ring circus. My advice, don't let the prices and frills tempt you. There are a lot of better, more reliable options out there.

My disclaimer is, one day this could change and they could get their act together and I'm rooting for them but they definitely aren't there yet.
Amen! Behind closed doors its not a good group to deal with for these reasons. Their QC and CS are not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Thinking halo 25mm is what I need, but not sure about the Nuc process on these. Manually nucing all the time might be a deal breaker for me, my buddy has a reap ir and he hates it.

Watched Hans review and didnít hear him mention anything about it, maybe I missed it.
I don't think its a problem with my Reap. I am used to it. BUT auto nuc would be pretty cool.

But not a deal breaker to me, but image quality and other things are more important
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #99
LMiz
Ten Point
 
LMiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Huntsville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Sure thing, glad to help. You need this....

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produc...nt=42383732501

And you'll need a custom recording cable for the Zeus. This is it.... It's out of stock but send me a PM and I can have one in 24 hours. I don't stock the Zeus cable anymore because there aren't a lot of people buying MDVR's for them now days.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produc...nt=42383737045


- Jason
Thanks Jason I sent you a PM look forward to doing business with you
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #100
rut-ro
Ten Point
 
rut-ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sugar Land
Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla
Default

Best place to get the Pulsar Thermion XM 38?
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com