Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #451
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Here is our full field review of the The Pulsar Thermion XG50 3-12x thermal rifle scope.

Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #452
futureagg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
I just got my first Bering units in and Hans and I in the early stages of testing. We met with Bering in January at SHOT but held off jumping on the Hogster because we wanted to let the market test the scope and Bering's customer service. We felt the potential lost sales over 9 months was worth the alternative of finding out we weren't long term pleased with the scopes or Bering's service. The good news is, the market has spoken and people are pleased on all fronts and I've got a buddy that's a dealer and he's been selling and using their scopes for a few months and he's been over all very happy as well.

We are waiting for more Hogsters to hit our warehouse because like everyone else this year, Bering can't get enough supply to meet the demand. We hope to have them in stock soon. Hans and I will be field testing them and letting you know our opinions very soon.

Iím excited for this review. Iím really looking at one of the 35mm.

Do you know what your price will be on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
futureagg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #453
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureagg View Post
Iím excited for this review. Iím really looking at one of the 35mm.

Do you know what your price will be on them?
The 2x 35mm is $2,675 and the 1.4x 25mm is $2,295. I was out last night with them and I really like them both. I think for guys shooting mostly under 100-125 yards the 25mm is a bargain.

More details coming soon. If anyone has any questions, feel free to call me if you'd like to talk or order one.

(877)350-1818

Jason
Old 09-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #454
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Thank you sir, glad you enjoyed it.

Pulsar is sending us and another dealer their first small shipment of Axion XQ38's (not the LRF) to begin testing. I should get them sometime next week. They said they do not have a firm ETA on the LRF's yet but the factory is still saying October. The LRF pre-order list is growing quickly, people are very excited about the LRF option on an affordable handheld unit.

I'm not saying this won't be coming down the line but I was on the phone with N-Vision 2 different times today and they told me there is no internal video recording unit being field tested and there is no internal video recording unit coming in November. They said the confusion could be with the newly announced Nox unit that is coming in November that is helmet and rifle mountable and it will not have internal video recording.

Not at all saying you're lying because they could be lying to me but they said I could come post here with this corrected info. Again, I don't have any secret knowledge, they might be working on something for the future, but they said this info was incorrect.

Jason
I trust you. My info came from from a guy who I buy my scopes from who told me to hold off on the XG. I am curious now to find out.

Trijicon and Nvision you would think would/should have something similar out this year. Maybe not tho
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #455
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

What is the current standing of the Sightmark Wraith? Owner reviews, availability, etc.
Thanks.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #456
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
What is the current standing of the Sightmark Wraith? Owner reviews, availability, etc.
Thanks.
I like mine. I upgraded the IR light to a Sniper Hog Light and it's an awesome scope for the money. I just wish it recorded audio. And it's heavy. That's the only complaints.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #457
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

How about Wraith feedback on the 2-16 vs 4-32? It shows field of view is 4 degrees on both units but I’m assuming at 2x you can see slightly more. I can’t imagine needing to zoom to 32X for a 150 yard shot, but then again I’ve never shot with one.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #458
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
How about Wraith feedback on the 2-16 vs 4-32? It shows field of view is 4 degrees on both units but I’m assuming at 2x you can see slightly more. I can’t imagine needing to zoom to 32X for a 150 yard shot, but then again I’ve never shot with one.

@Outdoor Legacy website says both have 4 degree FOV or 21ft @ 100 yds.

I looked on Sightmark Website @ the 2-16 its FOV is 4 degrees or 42 Feet @ 100 yds.
https://sightmark.com/products/2526/...al-riflescope/

The 4-32 is 21 feet @ 100 yds.
https://sightmark.com/products/2409/...al-riflescope/

Sorry it's nots first hand Info. Hope it still helps.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #459
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
@Outdoor Legacy website says both have 4 degree FOV or 21ft @ 100 yds.

I looked on Sightmark Website @ the 2-16 its FOV is 4 degrees or 42 Feet @ 100 yds.
https://sightmark.com/products/2526/...al-riflescope/

The 4-32 is 21 feet @ 100 yds.
https://sightmark.com/products/2409/...al-riflescope/

Sorry it's nots first hand Info. Hope it still helps.
Thanks, must be a misprint on the Outdoor Legacy sight. It makes sense (to me anyway) that you get twice the FOV at half the magnification.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #460
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I trust you. My info came from from a guy who I buy my scopes from who told me to hold off on the XG. I am curious now to find out.

Trijicon and Nvision you would think would/should have something similar out this year. Maybe not tho

Hey you could definitely be right. I'm just repeating what N-Vision told me too.....could be smoke and mirrors.lol There is no way they are going to take this laying down, N-Vision is too competitive and too good of a company for that. Trijicon on the other hand? I doubt they even know the XG exists yet.lol

Jason
Old 09-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #461
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
Thanks.
They are awesome scopes and the best selling digital NV optics to ever hit the market. Their popularity is off the charts and for $499, they're a bargain by most people's standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
How about Wraith feedback on the 2-16 vs 4-32? It shows field of view is 4 degrees on both units but Iím assuming at 2x you can see slightly more. I canít imagine needing to zoom to 32X for a 150 yard shot, but then again Iíve never shot with one.
Originally Sightmark showed the FOV being the same on both units and that's the info they gave us so our website was wrong and we didn't remember to change it when we got the updated info. Thanks for catching that Pushbutton!

That is correct, 2x is 42ft at 100 yards and the 4x is 21ft at 100 yards according to the new specs. I've been using the 2x for several weeks and it's awesome. It will by my personal choice of Wraiths and I think for most hog hunters it is by far the best choice. The FOV is amazing and the low mag is really what you need for shooting under 100 yards. Feeder hunting, spot and stalk....the 2x is far superior for that. It's the same price as the 4x and you can get about 175 yards out of it with the stock IR. If you upgrade to something like a Sniper Hog Light with the new 850nm LED they came up with, you can get 400+ yards out of it.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/collec...hthmark-wraith

Jason
Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #462
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey you could definitely be right. I'm just repeating what N-Vision told me too.....could be smoke and mirrors.lol There is no way they are going to take this laying down, N-Vision is too competitive and too good of a company for that. Trijicon on the other hand? I doubt they even know the XG exists yet.lol

Jason
Very well said and true!

Trijicon scopes are built like a tank. I wish they would come out with something new.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #463
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Quote:
They are awesome scopes and the best selling digital NV optics to ever hit the market. Their popularity is off the charts and for $499, they're a bargain by most people's standards.

Originally Sightmark showed the FOV being the same on both units and that's the info they gave us so our website was wrong and we didn't remember to change it when we got the updated info. Thanks for catching that Pushbutton!

That is correct, 2x is 42ft at 100 yards and the 4x is 21ft at 100 yards according to the new specs. I've been using the 2x for several weeks and it's awesome. It will by my personal choice of Wraiths and I think for most hog hunters it is by far the best choice. The FOV is amazing and the low mag is really what you need for shooting under 100 yards. Feeder hunting, spot and stalk....the 2x is far superior for that. It's the same price as the 4x and you can get about 175 yards out of it with the stock IR. If you upgrade to something like a Sniper Hog Light with the new 850nm LED they came up with, you can get 400+ yards out of it.

Jason
Thanks for the info! My ďadd to cartĒ finger is twitching!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #464
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:

Jason
Thatís good to hear. I kept my Wraith for the better part of 3 days simply due to the 4X mag and almost non existent FOV. It was a great optic other than that.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 PM   #465
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

The 4x is too much magnification for me but that was all that was available at the time. Might have to get the 2x.
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #466
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossivey View Post
The 4x is too much magnification for me but that was all that was available at the time. Might have to get the 2x.
I've been using the original Wraith with 4x base magnification for over a year now. I've always felt that 4x was a bit too much for the type of hunting that I do, usually less that 100 yards and sometimes in heavy cover. More recently I purchased a Thermion XP50 (2x base mag) And feel like it's perfect. I just ordered the new Wraith with 2x. I'm sure it will be the better option for my use. I may have an original Wraith for sale soon, for you longer range hunters.
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #467
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
I've been using the original Wraith with 4x base magnification for over a year now. I've always felt that 4x was a bit too much for the type of hunting that I do, usually less that 100 yards and sometimes in heavy cover. More recently I purchased a Thermion XP50 (2x base mag) And feel like it's perfect. I just ordered the new Wraith with 2x. I'm sure it will be the better option for my use. I may have an original Wraith for sale soon, for you longer range hunters.
Hey Greg, I didn't see your order come through until now! Thank you sir, I really appreciate it.

I think you're going to love the 2x, the FOV is awesome. As always, holler if you have any questions. Thanks again,

Jason
Old 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #468
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
I just snagged a 2x as well and may also have a 4x for sale. Gonna be a lot of used 4x Wraiths for sale this year, especially if the 4k ever drops!!
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #469
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Hey Greg, I didn't see your order come through until now! Thank you sir, I really appreciate it.

I think you're going to love the 2x, the FOV is awesome. As always, holler if you have any questions. Thanks again,

Jason
Jason, thank you so much. I ordered on Tuesday, and it arrived today at noon! I did not expect to get it so soon, as I used the "free" shipping option. It's going on a 300 BO suppressed pistol for this weekend. Hopefully I will have some video to post next week.
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #470
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

This was waiting for me when I got back into town today!

Name:  5518F32E-F8ED-484E-873B-28B1D00F2D81.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  45.9 KB
Old 09-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #471
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
This was waiting for me when I got back into town today!

Attachment 1019674
well how is it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #472
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
well how is it?

Initial impressions are pretty good. I just went cat stalking in the alley last night for testing purposes, so my methods aren't exactly scientific. Easily an upgrade from the XP50 I was using, and the Thermion controls are MUCH friendlier IMO. Hoping to get out and do some good things in the coming week, but weíll see what I have time for.

Iíd say the clarity is closer to the Trijicons Iíve ran than the XPs Iíve had, controls are well thought out, and Iím on the fence about the 3x base mag. I think 2-2.5 is my preferred mag, but I donít think this will be bad.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #473
chrisk
Ten Point

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...1&d=1600534711

Got two last night. First critters with night vision!
Attached Images

chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #474
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...1&d=1600534711

Got two last night. First critters with night vision!
I can't get the link to work. Can you give a summary? What setup and all? Congrats on first of many to come

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
bowtecmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #475
chrisk
Ten Point

The link accidentally came up, that was my bad.
I was using a 6.5 Creedmoor on an AR platform with 18” barrel and 129 grain SST. The night vision was a Sightmark 6-12x model(not sure what model). I was also using a Bushnell monocular for scanning.
Both shots we 190ish yards out. I forget what they measured on tape. I would guess one was 80+or- and the other 125 +or-. If My buddy can remember I will post.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #476
chrisk
Ten Point

They measured 30.5 and 35 on tape.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #477
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Got a bunch the other night on grass farm with my halo LR, loaded them up on trailer and hauled them off.
Attached Images

RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #478
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Holy money. What area was that?

Old 09-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #479
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecmike View Post
Holy money. What area was that?

Boling,TX in Wharton County

Cooler weather has got them on their feet as soon as it gets dark, during summer they donít move till after midnight itís so humid and hot
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #480
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post

Cooler weather has got them on their feet as soon as it gets dark, during summer they donít move till after midnight itís so humid and hot

I hear ya if I wasnít trying to get to the lease Iíd be out there tonite popping a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 12:23 AM   #481
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

I've been getting a lot of questions about the new Sightmark Wraith 4K Max and we've had a final production unit in our hands for about 2 months now, so Hans and I decided to go ahead and review it on The Late Night Vision Show. You can check it out below. We not only go over the scope features and functions but we lay out who we believe this scope is good for and who it's probably not good for.

Also, a lot of people want to know when the scope is going to be available. I'm privy to the shipment quantities for the rest of 2020 and I'll be honest and tell you that if most dealers get more than 1 to 5 of these scopes before December, I'll be shocked. The quantities are very small the shipments should be rolling in at about the end of every month. I'm not saying something can't change but I'd just be safe and conservative and say that I'd expect it to be December or January before most people can get their hands on one. Sightmark could produce as many of these as they wanted but they want to be sure their aren't hiccups and they are going for quality over quantity, even if it costs them sales and I respect that. So sit tight and if you're willing to wait, get on our back order list but expect that it could easily be December or January before you get one, even if everything goes smoothy and as planned.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #482
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Came across some free KC HiLites from a customer. Bulbs are bad. Thought about replacing the bulbs with red or green for night navigation. Which color or other color yall recommend.

Thanks
SAC
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #483
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
Came across some free KC HiLites from a customer. Bulbs are bad. Thought about replacing the bulbs with red or green for night navigation. Which color or other color yall recommend.

Thanks
SAC
I prefer Red in flashlights. Not sure how if that helps you or not.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #484
texasforever
Eight Point

Hunt In: lavaca co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post

I thought I recognized that grass farm, Iím from Wharton. Ever need a huntin partner let me know!

texasforever is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 11:24 PM   #485
Brannon74
Pope & Young

Hunt In: sw oklahoma

A guy is wanting to sell me his armasight predator thermal. I took it out Saturday night and we killed 11 pigs. Pretty fun. Whatís a used one worth?

Brannon74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #486
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannon74 View Post
A guy is wanting to sell me his armasight predator thermal. I took it out Saturday night and we killed 11 pigs. Pretty fun. Whatís a used one worth?

Please for your sake stay away from Armasight.

Buy a Pulsar instead
Old 09-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #487
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Wraith HD 4x & 2x size comparison

Old 09-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #488
glen1978
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buena Vista, CO

Think Im gona pick up a Pulsar thermal while I still have my current job. We get a nice discount but I dont know which one to get. Ive read everything I can find. Will be used on a suppressed 6.5 Grendel SBR for ETX hog and coyotes. I honestly prefer the look of the Trail models better for some reason and they come with built in LRF....which Im not sure I really need.

The Thermion is not totally out of the question if its the better buy. The Thermion XP is definetly getting to the top of the budget if not stretching it....I cant afford a Trail 2 XP for sure. Basically if I want a Trail model I will have to drop down to the XQ series. What do you guys think?
glen1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #489
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

I wouldn’t be afraid to look for a lightly used Trail XP 50 or 38. They have shot counters on the menu and check out the physical appearance. I’d obviously want to lay my hands on it physically though, so try to find someone local to sell one.

I was getting ready to sell a Trail XP50LRF for $4500 until Pulsar replaced mine. I’d much rather have an XP with LRF abilities than a XQ even if it meant used vs new.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #490
glen1978
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buena Vista, CO

Yeah HIGHLY doubt id find a used one in Colorado. Cant hunt anything at night here.
glen1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #491
Brannon74
Pope & Young

Hunt In: sw oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Please for your sake stay away from Armasight.

Buy a Pulsar instead

Please explain why?
I took it out with a friend who was running a pulsar and I agree his is much better, but I have already spent about 25000 on hunting equipment this year. I am not in a position to drop another 5 grand. I could next year but not now. It performed well for me and we killed 11 pigs. I really donít know that much about thermals and was wondering what a fair price was for the predator. My thought was to buy if if it was a deal and next year buy a pulsar and then I could take my friends with me thermal pig hunting.

Brannon74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #492
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Please explain why?
I took it out with a friend who was running a pulsar and I agree his is much better, but I have already spent about 25000 on hunting equipment this year. I am not in a position to drop another 5 grand. I could next year but not now. It performed well for me and we killed 11 pigs. I really donít know that much about thermals and was wondering what a fair price was for the predator. My thought was to buy if if it was a deal and next year buy a pulsar and then I could take my friends with me thermal pig hunting.

I think that is a good plan and go for it. I would say $1500-1700 would be a fair range for a predator in good condition
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #493
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I wouldnít be afraid to look for a lightly used Trail XP 50 or 38. They have shot counters on the menu and check out the physical appearance. Iíd obviously want to lay my hands on it physically though, so try to find someone local to sell one.

I was getting ready to sell a Trail XP50LRF for $4500 until Pulsar replaced mine. Iíd much rather have an XP with LRF abilities than a XQ even if it meant used vs new.
Where would you look? Even on here there aren't many used thermals for sale.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #494
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Default The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Quote:
Please explain why?

Armasight was bought by FLIR in 2016. FLIR ran it into the ground but had a great line of their own newer scopes, the ThermoSights built off the Armasight optics design. Without warning in January, FLIR shut down their entire thermal hunting scope division. Closed the doors and fired everyone at 5pm on a Friday. So you're buying a scope with 6-7+ year old technology from a company that was bought out by another company 4+ years ago, who is now since shut down operations. If the scope is less than 3 years old with an original receipt, FLIR will likely honor the warranty. They are honoring the warranty without any issues on FLIR branded scopes but it's getting sketchy on the Armasight stuff at this point since 99% of them in use today are waaaay past the warranty period.

Pulsar's start at $1,899, so you don't have spend $5,000. A $2,295 Bering Optics Hogster 25mm will blow most of the old Predator's out of the water.

He's just trying to steer you clear of a trap that many guys get into of buying old technology for as much or more than what newer better technology would cost.

So with that all said, the scope does have some value because it's a working thermal and like you said, you've already killed pigs with it and know it what it will do. Give us the exact model and I'll offer up my 2 cents on what it might be worth. We need the model, magnification, condition, age (original receipt available if its under 3 years) etc.

Jason

Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 09-22-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #495
Russ81
Pope & Young

What everyoneís trying to say these are scopes true but need to be looked for what they truely are: Electronics

And we all know electronics improve in leaps and bounds instead of over a long period of time.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:53 PM   #496
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
What everyoneís trying to say these are scopes true but need to be looked for what they truely are: Electronics

And we all know electronics improve in leaps and bounds instead of over a long period of time.

Russ always says what Iím thinking but he does it in 3-4 sentences. I use paragraphs.LOL!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #497
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Russ always says what Iím thinking but he does it in 3-4 sentences. I use paragraphs.LOL!

Some people like novels, others cliff notes. Just covering the bases!!!

Old 09-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #498
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecmike View Post
Where would you look? Even on here there aren't many used thermals for sale.

Facebook has several dedicated hog and thermal pages that seem to be pretty good for moving thermals. Sure youíve got to deal with some BS, but if youíre strictly looking to buy or sell they do pretty well. Just look for someone semi local so you can lay hands on the item before shelling out the cash.

Personally I run in a few groups that change toys as often as they change underwear. We can usually have something sold or bought before ever hitting any of the pages. If youíre looking for something specifically I can keep an eye out for you. Iíll say that there arenít any 384 optics running through us though if thatís what youíre looking for. The benefit to this way is I usually know the guy personally.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #499
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Armasight was bought by FLIR in 2016. FLIR ran it into the ground but had a great line of their own newer scopes, the ThermoSights built off the Armasight optics design. Without warning in January, FLIR shut down their entire thermal hunting scope division. Closed the doors and fired everyone at 5pm on a Friday. So you're buying a scope with 6-7+ year old technology from a company that was bought out by another company 4+ years ago, who is now since shut down operations. If the scope is less than 3 years old with an original receipt, FLIR will likely honor the warranty. They are honoring the warranty without any issues on FLIR branded scopes but it's getting sketchy on the Armasight stuff at this point since 99% of them in use today are waaaay past the warranty period.

Pulsar's start at $1,899, so you don't have spend $5,000. A $2,295 Bering Optics Hogster 25mm will blow most of the old Predator's out of the water.

He's just trying to steer you clear of a trap that many guys get into of buying old technology for as much or more than what newer better technology would cost.

So with that all said, the scope does have some value because it's a working thermal and like you said, you've already killed pigs with it and know it what it will do. Give us the exact model and I'll offer up my 2 cents on what it might be worth. We need the model, magnification, condition, age (original receipt available if its under 3 years) etc.

Jason
Hit the nail on the head! Stear clear of FLIR and Armasight. Buy once cry once
Old 09-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #500
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

Been killing a few coyotes lately. Weather and calling conditions have been great, and coyotes have been coming in good too. Getting my night calling system worked out, fixing kinks.

Originally I started by calling out of racks in the back of the truck. But it seems like up here unless it is a really dark night they can see the truck and don't like coming close unless you can hide it in cover. So I changed up. Basically calling just like I do in daytime. Hide the truck and walk away 100 yards or so, use a tripod and set up with some cover. Play the wind and terrain. About the only real difference is I want more open ground at night so I can see better while scanning. It has been working great, coyotes not hanging up.

Took a few short video clips for you guys.

https://youtu.be/scj_smWmqzA

https://youtu.be/rf67-hi_iQs

https://youtu.be/78C0Si1ylp8

Calling is going to be sketchy for me the the next 6-8 weeks though. In mid-August my wife got diagnosed with rectal cancer. We have been making lots of trips back and forth to Dallas seeing doctors, having tests run, and getting set up to start treatments.
Yesterday she got a chemo pump that will run 24/7 for the next 6-8 weeks. Mapping for radiation has been done and we are waiting on a call to see when radiation treatments will start. Once they start those will be 5 days a week for 6 weeks. There is a decent chance just the treatments will get rid of the tumor. But even if it doesn't, they should shrink it enough that the remaining part will be much easier to get via surgery.

One good thing about thermal is I can kind of go whenever as I have a chance. I don't have any time during daylight right now for any kind of hunting but I can slip out at night occasionally for a couple quick stands and some stress relief. Thankful that I have access to so much land here close. Probably 10,000 acres within 20 miles or so from my house. Also very thankful I have such a great support system with family, church, and community.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top