Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #51
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

Land grab! Anyone remember the Super Conducting Super Collider. The politicians sure hope you don’t. Took land that had been settled by some of these people’s ancestors. Waisted over 2 billion taxpayers money. Only to go under and sell off all the land. They ended up building a smaller example of one in Switzerland or somewhere. I don’t think it has saved a single life. It was going to save us all. If you don’t think they can take our land for a train look at this.
://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

Last edited by Mohawkman; 11-16-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #52
ctburt0n
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
We joined the fight against high speed rail last year.

Very strange situation. Big city people don’t care about the rail cutting thru generations of family owned ranches. The owners like me are ready to go to war

Well, yesterday we got an offer for half the property. At 25% of the market price

A real sketchy offer totally unsolicited. It reeks of shady land grab.

For all those not familiar with the situation, this is a private railroad with no rights of condemnation along a route from Dallas to west of Houston.

Anyone else get an offer like this?

Big pig.

If your a member of the Texas Cattle Raisers I bet they can help. They have been in the fight against eminent domain & use of easements. Give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ctburt0n is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #53
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

It can be privately owned and still have the right of condemnation. All pipelines that I know of are not connected to the government. Many of them can/do have eminent domain. I can see where it makes some people unhappy, but also can see where nothing would ever get constructed if they didn't have it. I had to give up almost 4 acres of property for a highway widening project several years ago. I was given appraised value for the property and assets, But I couldn't refuse the acquisition, or even demand that the property be taken from the other side of the highway.

Last edited by softpoint; 11-16-2017 at 07:41 AM.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #54
Jaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ace, SHNF, DCNF

Quote:
250 + miles of two high fences.
Co Roads and FM roads will have to have some type of crossings.
Ranch roads will be dead ended.
Many, many low areas have to be built up from first taken from somewhere. Leeching creek goes from feet wide to hundreds of yards wide every huge rain
200+ mph crash’s and derailments.

BTW there won’t be any grain on the track.
Is it ok if We route it thru your yard and we pay you a small portion of what your house is worth?
Supposedly it’s going to be elevated with no crossings, I don’t know why they don’t go right down the middle of 45!
Jaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #55
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
Supposedly it’s going to be elevated with no crossings, I don’t know why they don’t go right down the middle of 45!

This would solve a lot of problems but I'm sure there's some complications with that also. Imagine what it would do to traffic during construction and maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #56
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

If it was just about having high speed rail they have the land. Run it right down 45. If it is about less traffick and moving people They have the infrastructure to have passenger trains in place now. Of course it would take 3 hours instead of 1.5. I would set on a train for 3 hours not to have to drive. LAND GRAB.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #57
CJ776
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

History question here if anyone can answer... Did the Fed do something similar when Eisenhower had the interstates constructed? Think how many people were affected by that.
CJ776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #58
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
Southwest sell tickets for $49
Cheap. .but you have to do the TA crap....oh wait...they may do that too...
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #59
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

This is the same song...second verse of the Alaska pipe line....going to cut off side of land...mess up normal animal crossings....and once it was built....hasn't slowed animals or traffic...cause they built those into it...what I understand is it will be a raised track...so access will be easy for those that run cattle. And no one talks about the Alaskin pipe line any more
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #60
softpoint
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ776 View Post
History question here if anyone can answer... Did the Fed do something similar when Eisenhower had the interstates constructed? Think how many people were affected by that.
Anytime a right of way is acquired, people have to give up/sell property. Reservoirs flood thousands of acres, pipelines, highways and rail systems all have to be built to serve the populace. Eminent domain has been around a long time.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #61
backwoods
Eight Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

I hate the idea of this rail, but at least it is a private project and it appears the land is only coming from willing sellers….so far. I would encourage people to keep up the fight.

I don’t think it is needed. Work and travel habits are rapidly changing. The numbers of commuters being thrown around are several years (decades) old. Technology will render many forms of travel unnecessary. My company is headquartered in Dallas and I’m in Houston. We correspond every day via email, chat, Go To Meeting, etc. I travel to that office maybe once a year.

On top of that, we are on the verge of major transportation shifts. Ride share, driverless cars, uber etc will likely be more favorable then going to a train station. The airlines won’t lie down. Expect to see incredibly competitive rates.

If it is successful, it will not help the local economies. It will hurt them. In much the same way that small down town areas were hurt when the interstate passed them up, those same communities that focused their growth along the interstate will once again be passed up. Then, we will have some dead downtown communities along with a dead interstate corridor.
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #62
backwoods
Eight Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

Quote:
250 + miles of two high fences.
Co Roads and FM roads will have to have some type of crossings.
Ranch roads will be dead ended.
Many, many low areas have to be built up from first taken from somewhere. Leeching creek goes from feet wide to hundreds of yards wide every huge rain
200+ mph crash’s and derailments.
Also consider that a 200 MPH train will be incredibly loud. It will disturb the landscape for quite some distance on both sides.
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #63
KHo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon and Nacogdoches Counties

They have already surveyed my property which is <1 mile away as the crow flies. Curious to see how all this plays out.
KHo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #64
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Freestone Hill Navarro Counties

Bad news for the landowners wanting it stopped https://www.texastribune.org/2018/12...minent-domain/
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #65
bossbowman
Ten Point

Heard on WBAP this morning this thing is a go to be done by 2025, what are you Leon co guys hearing?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #66
trophy8
Pope & Young

Land grab? Who have they taken land from?

I must be missing something. I get it. Nobody wants a train going through their ranch. I wouldn’t. But who’s land did they just take or force you to sell for 25% of its value?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #67
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
Elevated???? That sounds awesome but when it derails at high speed, which it will, being elevated will raise the death toll drastically..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #68
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

This sounds like nightmare about to happen for landowners.. It is a dam dirty shame that things like this are even possible in this country.. Not sure how I can help stop this but I'm willing.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #69
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County
Default Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Heard on WBAP this morning this thing is a go to be done by 2025, what are you Leon co guys hearing?
Did they ever determine which route that the rail would be using?
kch73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #70
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Every day is different. Some days there is no way the train will come through the next day its absolutely on its way. I haven't heard much out of it lately.

I haven't seen the first tract of land be completely sold, however the rail company is putting options to buy land along the steel structured transmission lines.

The option is they'll pay you 20-25% of the value of the property today. Then when and if the rail line goes through they'll pay you the remainder at that time. If the rail road project does not come to fruition you get to keep their money.

They tend to make these buys and options at the end and beginning of the year because they receive new funding around Jan 1 each year.

So there are many people that I have heard and visited with take the option, but no ownership has changed at this time.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #71
Slicefixer
Eight Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Research Marvin Nichols Reservoir.....

For the time being, those affected have successfully told the "city folk" to pound sand.....

I'm certain these proposed land sales are mostly, if not virtually all, options to purchase if the project is finally approved... similar to oil and gas exploration options....only rather than expiring at the end of a +/- 3 year term (without actual exploration) they are for a longer term with an agreed upon purchase price ......more or less a "purchase option".....

Without a definite need for immediate capital, I'd never agree to a hard option price....that will be some very valuable real estate if the project is ever approved.

Btw, I spent over two years dealing with both state and federal highway authority's regarding some acreage we owned. It was a gigantic headache, but, in the end they were way more than "fair."

I also disagree, vehemently disagree, with private companies having a "right" to seize private property involving a for profit scheme.

Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-22-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #72
softpoint
Eight Point

Railways, most highways and roads and pipelines, and other utilities all use eminent domain rules. If they didn't, no infrastructure would EVER get built. They are supposed to give appraised value. If someone is offering substantially less than appraised value, it could be someone attempting to buy and resell at a profit.

Last edited by softpoint; 11-22-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #73
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Like, I've always said...…………
You don't own nothing, in Texas...……………….
Follow the money.... there lies, all the answers...……..
Did we ever have a vote, on this boondoggle ???
I think, we did... and it was voted down...….
Somebody, please put a stake through this land grab...………..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #74
Slicefixer
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
Railways, most highways and roads and pipelines, and other utilities all use eminent domain rules. If they didn't, no infrastructure would EVER get built. They are supposed to give appraised value. If someone is offering substantially less than appraised value, it could be someone attempting to buy and resell at a profit. A few years ago,I had to give up 4+ acres of land for a highway widening project. When it's the highway, you generally get overall appraised value for acreage, because they don't consider you are losing frontage, only moving it. Pretty hard to stop, I wouldn't say it's impossible, but if they have eminent domain, it is usually a waste of money to try to stop it altogether, just negotiate the best you can with them. Just my experience.
Agree 100%......Plus your experience, and mine as well, involved projects that are an actual physical entity, not a hypothetical.

Anyway, I totally agree with ONE caveat.....

Politicians respond to 2 things, money and the political winds......Gather up enough folks (and $$$) to create category 5's and sometimes they'll listen, they're FORCED to listen.....that's how Marvin Nichols was halted DEAD in its tracks. (at least for now)

Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-22-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #75
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
Agree 100%......Plus your experience, and mine as well, involved projects that are an actual physical entity, not a hypothetical.

Anyway, I totally agree with ONE caveat.....

Politicians respond to 2 things, money and the political winds......Gather up enough folks (and $$$) to create category 5's and sometimes they'll listen, they're FORCED to listen.....that's how Marvin Nichols was halted DEAD in its tracks. (at least for now)
Its gonna happen eventually as fast as the states population is growing, ask the people where lower bodark creek lake is being built as we speak
Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #76
Slicefixer
Eight Point

You're probably correct. However, I'd bet others are built well before MN's.....I'm also familiar with Bois project... with Marvin Nichols most of that whole part of east Texas was dead set against it....VERY much resented folks from the metroplex walking in with an attitude telling them they were taking their land to waste on lawns in Dallas {their words, not mine). .....I'm friends with one man who spent a couple of hundred grand organizing against it...

Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-22-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #77
bossbowman
Ten Point

All it will take is the next major drought to get it fast tracked, we get a drought like there was here in the 50's people will be screaming.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #78
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Every day is different. Some days there is no way the train will come through the next day its absolutely on its way. I haven't heard much out of it lately.

I haven't seen the first tract of land be completely sold, however the rail company is putting options to buy land along the steel structured transmission lines.

The option is they'll pay you 20-25% of the value of the property today. Then when and if the rail line goes through they'll pay you the remainder at that time. If the rail road project does not come to fruition you get to keep their money.

They tend to make these buys and options at the end and beginning of the year because they receive new funding around Jan 1 each year.

So there are many people that I have heard and visited with take the option, but no ownership has changed at this time.
Heard that from someone out of bedias
Quote:
Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
Railways, most highways and roads and pipelines, and other utilities all use eminent domain rules. If they didn't, no infrastructure would EVER get built. They are supposed to give appraised value. If someone is offering substantially less than appraised value, it could be someone attempting to buy and resell at a profit.
Regarding this....a rumor I was told....the company wanting to build and own this rail is NOT an American owned company nor so they own a single foot of rail. That supposedly keeps them from obtaining dirt via eminent domain

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #79
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Heard that from someone out of bediasRegarding this....a rumor I was told....the company wanting to build and own this rail is NOT an American owned company nor so they own a single foot of rail. That supposedly keeps them from obtaining dirt via eminent domain

You are correct. Japanese private investment.
This is not a government backEd “good for the populace” Project with eminent domain.
This is a private company taking Texan’s property for their profit.
recently they laid off a large part of their staff on this project. It shows how weak their position is because it is not government funded.

My question is why did I get two (2) more letters recently asking to buy my property for less than 1/3 going $rate at the time?

I have decided it is just mass mail out based on property tax rolls on small tracts
In the appraisal district rolls each survey I own in is taxed separately. (I have 5 tax accounts). So in this survey I only have 11 acres So they fire off an offer letter assuming i am a smaller owner. Fine by me, but it coincidently started about the time of the train debacle.

FWIW the favored route is several mikes west of me now and I out of the trenches. But as taxpayers, all if us will someday fund this project bailout which
It will need of it ever gets back off the ground.

Off my soapbox !

Big pig
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 10:59 PM   #80
bossbowman
Ten Point

Looks to be one step closer to being a reality
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/af...d-b729f60aeecf
Old 09-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #81
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Looks to be one step closer to being a reality
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/af...d-b729f60aeecf
Dang shame. This project needs to die. Zero chance it isn't just a colossal waste of money once its all said and done. And what they have done to these property owners is a shame.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #82
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

I'm guessing the offers you are getting are from investment groups looking to buy your land and flip it to the HSR project for a profit. I know 2 land owners that sold to the HSR for above market.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #83
jbhlsu
Six Point

Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona

Sad deal. I am close to this and have had horrible offers. 1/3 at best. Horrible deal for the landowners getting the shaft.
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #84
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I love how the article talks about the jobs and revenue it will generate. Right after it says Japanese and European people are financing it.

I'm supposed to believe them loans are free and the 10mil in money goes to Texans and the land they stole?

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #85
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I'm disgusted that "leadership" of this state has allowed this to happen.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #86
Big pig
Pope & Young

Cost was always too low. Texan taxpayers will be paying for a private company service they will never use. The day of common business travel is past. Families won’t be able to afford the tickets and a rental car in the other end.
Eminent domain for private companies is wrong.
Private company that will have to be bailed out by us taxpayers because of
Politicians and greed.

Anybody see a firm ticket price yet?

BP
Old 09-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #87
MAP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Live Oak, Jim Wells, Dimmit Counties

I read on a San Antonio news site that the project is expected to take up to 6 years and $20 BILLION dollars to finish.........how is that possible? and is anybody with this project able to do basic math?
MAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #88
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Cost was always too low. Texan taxpayers will be paying for a private company service they will never use. The day of common business travel is past. Families won’t be able to afford the tickets and a rental car in the other end.
Eminent domain for private companies is wrong.
Private company that will have to be bailed out by us taxpayers because of
Politicians and greed.

Anybody see a firm ticket price yet?

BP
Any new offers?

Just don't sell until you get what is fair
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #89
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

My brother sold this nice tract and I told him not to because the train would never go through. Glad he didn't listen to me.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/31...6!4d-96.067097
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #90
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Well this comes awful close to several family homesteads. One such place has been in the family over 100 years. From looking at the old proposed routes, it appears they will all miss the different properties but be on the neighbors.

Has anyone seen a confirmed route since the article states they have acquired 40% of the land needed?
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #91
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Quote:

A lot has changed since this post. Over few months I have seen numerous tracts of land change hands to the TEXAS CENTRAL RAILROAD & INFRASTRUCTURE INC. and TEXAS CENTRAL PARTNERS LLC.

I have talked to a number of people who have sold land. They said they were given top dollar and sometimes more than they were expecting for it. I haven't heard of any lowball offers.

One thing I have noticed is there is no consistency to the size of land they are buying. It may be an acre or an entire farm or ranch. What they are purchasing does fall along the plan of the rail line but generally aren't buying just a strip of land the size of a train.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #92
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
A lot has changed since this post. Over few months I have seen numerous tracts of land change hands to the TEXAS CENTRAL RAILROAD & INFRASTRUCTURE INC. and TEXAS CENTRAL PARTNERS LLC.

I have talked to a number of people who have sold land. They said they were given top dollar and sometimes more than they were expecting for it. I haven't heard of any lowball offers.

One thing I have noticed is there is no consistency to the size of land they are buying. It may be an acre or an entire farm or ranch. What they are purchasing does fall along the plan of the rail line but generally aren't buying just a strip of land the size of a train.
I've heard this too in Leon co. IDK where they're getting the money but some people are getting paid right now
Old 09-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #93
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Well this comes awful close to several family homesteads. One such place has been in the family over 100 years. From looking at the old proposed routes, it appears they will all miss the different properties but be on the neighbors.

Has anyone seen a confirmed route since the article states they have acquired 40% of the land needed?
Believe its the red line in post #11, not sure what the amber utility alignment line is option 2 or something else.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #94
BassMaster13
Four Point

Hunt In: SETX, WTX

On a side note they are incredible to ride on.

Rode on the line from Kyoto to Toyko feels like your doing 60mph on the smoothest blacktop you can find while doing 120mph+. Only time it feels like your going fast is when you pass another train in a blink of an eye.

Last edited by BassMaster13; 09-22-2020 at 04:02 PM.
BassMaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #95
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Any new offers?

Just don't sell until you get what is fair
Offering 1/3 of our asking price.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #96
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Offering 1/3 of our asking price.
Dang. That’s b.s.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #97
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

What's the latest route for this crap?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #98
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
What's the latest route for this crap?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Straight from the horses mouth

https://www.texascentral.com/alignment-maps/
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2020, 05:13 AM   #99
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Dang. That’s b.s.
After reading all of this it makes me believe it’s just a speculator or the railroad trying to buy the cheapest property it can to set comps for the eminent domain lawsuits. We are definitely not near the route above.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:05 AM   #100
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

I'm trying to find the article.. But read something about many of the property deeds are being assigned to China.

Found it

Name:  texas high speed rail.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  83.2 KB

Last edited by Stan R; 09-23-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top