Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default Leon County property

We joined the fight against high speed rail last year.
Very strange situation. Big city people don’t care about the rail cutting thru generations of family owned ranches. The owners like me are ready to go to war
Well, yesterday we got an offer for half the property. At 25% of the market price
A real sketchy offer totally unsolicited. It reeks of shady land grab.

For all those not familiar with the situation, this is a private railroad with no rights of condemnation along a route from Dallas to west of Houston.

Anyone else get an offer like this?

Big pig.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
jbhlsu
Six Point

Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona

Yes this scares me. Where exactly are you located? I have a place on the west side of 45 between centerville and buffalo. I am hearing more towards Jewett because it has to be a straight shot? I hope everything works out for you and please keep us updated on what you hear. Very disheartening hearing the offer of 25% of market value? W t h?
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Nope. That's messed up.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Big pig
Pope & Young

Between centerville and buffalo. West side of 45.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

My sister in law out outside of mexia sold a year and a half ago to them. She got a great offer. It may be private but the railroad commission is backing them so it will happen.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

This is nothing more than a land-grab. Always has been. Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if former governor good-hair is starting to see his TTC kickbacks coming in.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

My dad's place is about a mile from where is supposed to go through west of Centerville. He hasn't gotten an offer but his neighbor's have.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
My sister in law out outside of mexia sold a year and a half ago to them. She got a great offer. It may be private but the railroad commission is backing them so it will happen.
It will not happen without a fight. We put a lot of blood, sweat and money in our piece of Texas to go out quietly. For all the non landowners who are members here, I bet there are a lot of you who know people or hunt lands along the route that will be affected. Imagine the devaluation of the property for all the counties along the route. And all the hardwood bottoms full of wildlife which will be ruined. For a foreign entity that will eventually need taxpayer money to complete this project.

Big pig
Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
It will not happen without a fight. We put a lot of blood, sweat and money in our piece of Texas to go out quietly. For all the non landowners who are members here, I bet there are a lot of you who know people or hunt lands along the route that will be affected. Imagine the devaluation of the property for all the counties along the route. And all the hardwood bottoms full of wildlife which will be ruined. For a foreign entity that will eventually need taxpayer money to complete this project.

Big pig
I hope people don’t poo-poo this off because it doesn’t immediately effect them. When these rural areas are no longer there to be accessed for hunting or fishing, further driving up the cost of land and leases, while decrying it a rich man’s sport, they’ll wished they’d listened.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

I thought this was a dead issue and was not going to happen? Guess I heard wrong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #11
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Freestone Hill Navarro Counties

From what I hear that rail IS gonna happen, lots of people selling land in Leon Co. right now.

Last edited by bossbowman; 11-14-2017 at 11:14 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 04:23 AM   #12
monsterspike
Ten Point

corruption at its finest. straight up land grab.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #13
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post

Big pig
They will need tax payer money to stay in business. There's no way that project makes money at any point.
I feel for.you land owners
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 AM   #14
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

Is there anywhere or anything we can do to wage a protest against this? I just think this is just another political money/land grab that's simply going to favor politicians and their friends, and it's not going to work without tax dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 04:39 AM   #15
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

We have not got an offer however, we are on the west side of 39. I do have family that owns thousands of acres between 39 and 45. It’s a shame what will happen and the offers that come out.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #16
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

MY place is about 1 mile from one proposed route that goes thru an already existing power line easement about 1/2 way between Madisonville and North Zulch.
I thought TEXAS passed or tried to pass a law that did not allow private companies to use the power of eminent domain to take property. Grimes county was on the news recently. They do no want this to happen.

This is the place to go if you want to help.

http://www.texansagainsthsr.com/
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #17
Big pig
Pope & Young

Thanks for posting the link.
We have heard the same thing about that route. So why did my neighbor immediately east of highway 45 get an offer also ?!?
Agreed about the new law, but my faith in politicians is shot. hope mr. Abbott restores it.

BP
Old 11-15-2017, 05:44 AM   #18
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

What company or person made the offer?
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #19
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

My brother had land near normangee. Powerline route was on the front edge of his property. They made him A very nice officer. He didnt accept. Someone came to his house in conroe uninvited at 830 pm with another offer. He got ****** and told them he wouldnt sell to them. Then he turned around and sold to a private individual who wanted it and didnt believe the HSR would go through.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #20
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Crock of ****

They should have to pay minimum of 2x appraised value and I don't mean what it is on the tax records for.

Private money going in politicians pockets I would bet
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #21
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

This drives me nuts! Its unreal that this land grab will be allowed to happen. Im about 2 mi from the proposed route on the south edge of Grimes County, so it wont affect me personally, but I am absolutely against emminent domain for a private or foreign entity. Flat out crooked. Would say more but my words may be considered a threat.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #22
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

All over the news here yesterday in West Texas. They said all the landowners in Grimes County were the Devil!

Ok not so many words but you get the picture.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #23
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

I would tell them to pound sand but get ready for a fight brother.
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #24
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

First off this isnt needed at all. Second why not just put it in the middle on I45? No need to take all that land for a useless overpriced train which will cost more than flying between Houston and Dallas. See if you can find some protected/endangers critters on your land.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #25
JSki
Four Point

I grew up in Grimes County and own property in Madison county along one of the proposed routes. I haven't personally spoken to anyone that has received an offer, but I know many folks that are fighting it mighty hard. I know almost everyone is going to fight it, but if it gets to the point of considering offers I highly suggest getting an attorney involved. I also suggest getting as many neighbors as you can on the same page as you. I have an attorney friend out of Burleson county that handles O&G leasing and eminent domain and he has been able to get people some very good offers, particularly when he has been able to put blocks of landowners together...just fyi.
JSki is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #26
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I wouldn't sell for anything less then twice the appraised value!!!

Screw that. Stand strong and keep your backbone like most of us do to liberals
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #27
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

This train is a freaking stupid idea. It will never get used and never make money. A bunch of dumb politicians that have zero business sense should keep their nose out of this whole deal and just let the idea die out like it should.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #28
Hammerdown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Marquez, Jewett Tx and Kansas

Our landowner of one of my Leases in Leon Co. sold some land to the railroad. He told us they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #29
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
first off this isnt needed at all. Second why not just put it in the middle on i45? No need to take all that land for a useless overpriced train which will cost more than flying between houston and dallas. See if you can find some protected/endangers critters on your land.
who the hell flies to dallas from houston....just dumb imo
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #30
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Not to be "that" guy but unless you are willing to go out there with a rifle and die for your land, they are gonna build what they want to build and where they want to. Either of your dead body or not. Just look at the 99 toll road they recently finished around Houston.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #31
BigValley
Four Point

Hunt In: Freestone County, Kimble County

It looks like there are two proposed segments and they have shifted one of them to run right along 45 in Leon Co. I hunt just north of Leon Co and agree that if they want to do this, put it along 45. Just as long as they don't take away Rancho Viejo in Buffalo
BigValley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #32
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBuck View Post
who the hell flies to dallas from houston....just dumb imo
Southwest sell tickets for $49
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #33
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County
Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Not to be "that" guy but unless you are willing to go out there with a rifle and die for your land, they are gonna build what they want to build and where they want to. Either of your dead body or not. Just look at the 99 toll road they recently finished around Houston.
Do a little research on the guy "Monty Bennet" that blocked the water line from Lake Palestine and pretty much made the city of Dallas kick rocks and have to go all the way around his Property. Just get a permit and put a family cemetery on it.
Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #34
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan R View Post
MY place is about 1 mile from one proposed route that goes thru an already existing power line easement about 1/2 way between Madisonville and North Zulch.
I thought TEXAS passed or tried to pass a law that did not allow private companies to use the power of eminent domain to take property. Grimes county was on the news recently. They do no want this to happen.

This is the place to go if you want to help.

http://www.texansagainsthsr.com/
I have friend with a place near Iola who has the powerline on his land. He says the train is gonna come thru on the easement and there is nothing he can do since the powerline dirt is already owned.??
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #35
BitBackShot
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Llano County

You sure the offer didn't come from some opportunistic individual in anticipation of the much higher offer you'll get from the actual company? That'd be my first thought if it came in so low.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #36
Buck Shot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

To the OP, do you know what your State Representative's position is on the railroad? You may try giving him a call. If he's against it you'll at least have strength in numbers.
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

I’m not for this rail happening, but anyone who thinks people won’t use it are clueless. Dallas to Houston in under 90 minutes, Dallas to College Station even quicker. Southwest has flights going between Dallas and Houston 24/7 and every one of them is packed.
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #38
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Hall County,TX, Pittsburg Co, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun shooter View Post
Is there anywhere or anything we can do to wage a protest against this? I just think this is just another political money/land grab that's simply going to favor politicians and their friends, and it's not going to work without tax dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dont ask any Indians, they went through something similar
Spearchunker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #39
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchunker View Post
Dont ask any Indians, they went through something similar

Yeah that's supposed to be the difference in having a government of, by and for the people. Not sure it's working that way though, but I'm going to holler about it.
Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #40
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
I’m not for this rail happening, but anyone who thinks people won’t use it are clueless. Dallas to Houston in under 90 minutes, Dallas to College Station even quicker. Southwest has flights going between Dallas and Houston 24/7 and every one of them is packed.
Heard the price?. Then rent a car to get around town?
What about my dog, luggage and kids ? There is a reason lots of us prefer 4 door trucks and suvs as our vehicles of choice.

http://reason.org/files/texas_high_speed_rail.pdf

Tax payers are going to end up paying for this fiasco
If it gets off the ground.

BP
Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #41
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Nearly 50,000 Texans, sometimes called “super-commuters,” travel back and forth between Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth more than once a week. Many others make the trip very regularly...I don't think it will be an unused high speed rail. I still don't like it tho
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #42
Jaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ace, SHNF, DCNF

Google Mumford TX rail yard, They do what they want.
Jaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #43
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

My place is less than a mile from proposed route. I went to a meeting in Leon county when it was getting kicked off. A group headed by county judge from Grimes County is spearheading the fight. It is called Texans against High Speed Rail. I heard one guy in Leon County filed a lawsuit against the rail company.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #44
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure lefty View Post
My place is less than a mile from proposed route. I went to a meeting in Leon county when it was getting kicked off. A group headed by county judge from Grimes County is spearheading the fight. It is called Texans against High Speed Rail. I heard one guy in Leon County filed a lawsuit against the rail company.
Good. I’m glad people aren’t taking this lying down. The only ones that can really help stop this are the landowners.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #45
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

So please explain to me how a train will ruin hunting.
I've seen wildlife run to a train track that drops a bit a grain right after the train goes by.
And why is a safe/fast commute between 2 huge cities bad.
Some of the worst wrecks I've ever seen have been on that road
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #46
KBM
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbd10pt View Post
I've seen wildlife run to a train track that drops a bit a grain right after the train goes by.
Would you want to be forced to sell your own property for pennies on the dollar?
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #47
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Would you want to be forced to sell your own property for pennies on the dollar?
That and some people simply don’t want to be forced to have a **** train running through their property. I wouldn’t.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #48
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I'm against it but if it happens it will be used. I work with lots of folks that regularly fly round trip between Houston - Dallas , Houston - San Antonio, and Dallas - San Antonio. Then just take uber or a cab to there meeting.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #49
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
250 + miles of two high fences.
Co Roads and FM roads will have to have some type of crossings.
Ranch roads will be dead ended.
Many, many low areas have to be built up from first taken from somewhere. Leeching creek goes from feet wide to hundreds of yards wide every huge rain
200+ mph crash’s and derailments.

BTW there won’t be any grain on the track.
Is it ok if We route it thru your yard and we pay you a small portion of what your house is worth?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #50
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
I dont know how, or if it will affect hunting. I dont know if it will be effective or how many will use it. I do know I am absolutely against the forced sale of land by imminent domain, I dont care how much they pay. If you dont want to sell your land then you shouldnt be forced to sell it especially for the benefit of a private foreign entity.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top