Cooper WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fowltrouble2 View Post
    Punched a tag with this freezer queen tonight. Got her checked in. 88lb field dressed. First deer in a saddle. Love it!!!
    Which saddle are you using? I've been hunting out of the Kestrel Flex this season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Spot and Stalk

I would like to say first of all I apologize because this is not specific to Cooper WMA, but I am new to this whole forum thing and don't exactly know how to navigate it to get to the correct location. With that said, I am a college student lacking the funds to lease my own place so I am resorting to public land hunting. Since I was a young child I have always hunted on a feeder in ground or elevated blind, but I am looking for more of a challenge. I really would like to try spot and stalk, however I don't really know whether you are allowed to spot and stalk whitetail on Texas public land and even if you are I don't know which places would be best to do it on because I don't want to be walking around messing up other people's hunts or putting myself or anyone else in danger. With all of that said can you guys please drop some suggestions of good places to go that I could safely, ethically, and responsibly spot and stalk hunt whitetail deer on public land in Texas. Also chances of harvesting an animal don't need to be a factor, obviously if there are a lot of options I would choose the one with best chances, but I don't need a place with a bunch of deer I just want to try spot and stalk.

Comment

My brother and I are out right now... Bumped 2 does on the way in

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
          Nice well done. I take it you are a fan of the saddle. Would you say it's pretty comfy? Could you do an all day sit?

I saddle hunt and do all day sits some days. I prefer saddle hunting to lock on stands, though it does take some getting used to. You will be sore after doing it the first time or two each season because you’re using different muscles and using them differently than your normal day to day activities.

You’ll need to try a few different ways and I generally change up how I’m leaning or sitting throughout the day to allow a break for different parts of my body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cooper WMA

Originally posted by gstrittmatter View Post
            I would like to say first of all I apologize because this is not specific to Cooper WMA, but I am new to this whole forum thing and don't exactly know how to navigate it to get to the correct location. With that said, I am a college student lacking the funds to lease my own place so I am resorting to public land hunting. Since I was a young child I have always hunted on a feeder in ground or elevated blind, but I am looking for more of a challenge. I really would like to try spot and stalk, however I don't really know whether you are allowed to spot and stalk whitetail on Texas public land and even if you are I don't know which places would be best to do it on because I don't want to be walking around messing up other people's hunts or putting myself or anyone else in danger. With all of that said can you guys please drop some suggestions of good places to go that I could safely, ethically, and responsibly spot and stalk hunt whitetail deer on public land in Texas. Also chances of harvesting an animal don't need to be a factor, obviously if there are a lot of options I would choose the one with best chances, but I don't need a place with a bunch of deer I just want to try spot and stalk.

Generally speaking, you won’t be able to spot and stalk whitetail anywhere in east Texas. It’s just not open enough to do that.

If you go slinking through the woods in prime time you are likely to tick off other hunters and I’m not sure you can be consistently successful hunting whitetails on public in Texas that way. They are usually just too wired up to be able to sneak them...

Last edited by Army of Dad; 10-29-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
              I saddle hunt and do all day sits some days. I prefer saddle hunting to lock on stands, though it does take some getting used to. You will be sore after doing it the first time or two each season because you’re using different muscles and using them differently than your normal day to day activities.

You’ll need to try a few different ways and I generally change up how I’m leaning or sitting throughout the day to allow a break for different parts of my body.

I second the sore muscles. I felt like I had really tough leg day in the gym after the first couple of hunts but I definitely prefer the saddle over a climber or lock-on. The mobility of the saddle is second to none in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gstrittmatter View Post
                Don't listen to any naysayers. They are used to shooting deer from a blind over a feeder. S&S is a great way to learn the area and is quite difficult, especially with bow. I know Sam like the back of my hand and I am quickly learning Sabine NF. When you do S&S and run across a hunter, remember it is public land and they don't own it, but I like to avoid any and all hunters myself. I have had a hunter or two come through in the past and since I don't wear orange when elevated, they never saw me. Not a big deal. Like I said, it's public land. Sometimes, I would meet the same guys at the gate and we'd discuss the general area we were hunting, so as not to interfer with each other. But, otherwise, it is public land and You are free to hunt it as you wish. I do suggest Hunter Orange when on the ground, in adddition to it being the law. Good luck, and you may find that hunting public land is more fun than a lease. Much bigger area.

SH

Comment

Thanks everyone. This is my first year using the saddle. Like someone mentioned, it takes some getting used to. But i am a believer now. It’s very comfortable once you can figure out what works and how you like to set up. I really enjoy it because i haven’t hunted out of the same tree the entire year. Hardly even within the same area. It’s a great lightweight option to being mobile. But there are some growing pains.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    Don't listen to any naysayers. They are used to shooting deer from a blind over a feeder. S&S is a great way to learn the area and is quite difficult, especially with bow. I know Sam like the back of my hand and I am quickly learning Sabine NF. When you do S&S and run across a hunter, remember it is public land and they don't own it, but I like to avoid any and all hunters myself. I have had a hunter or two come through in the past and since I don't wear orange when elevated, they never saw me. Not a big deal. Like I said, it's public land. Sometimes, I would meet the same guys at the gate and we'd discuss the general area we were hunting, so as not to interfer with each other. But, otherwise, it is public land and You are free to hunt it as you wish. I do suggest Hunter Orange when on the ground, in adddition to it being the law. Good luck, and you may find that hunting public land is more fun than a lease. Much bigger area.

SH
                    Thanks for all the help guys! would it be more beneficial to do it out west instead of east texas given the open land seems more suitable than thick pines and such. if so what public lands would be the best?

Comment

Congrats on the kill. Im hoping to be out in the morning. If I can get out of bed on time. Been a rough week at work. Lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody else out today besides me? Nice cool morning, nothing moving so far. Found out my old insulated waterproof boots, aint so much anymore. My dang feet got wet and now they cold. Seehowlong I can tough it out. Lol

Comment

Just had 2 little fork horn bucks push 5 doe and 2 yearlings by me. No shot at any of them.

Comment

Good luck! It's a nice morning to be out in a stand.

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                              Just had 2 little fork horn bucks push 5 doe and 2 yearlings by me. No shot at any of them.

At least they are moving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I went out Friday. Saw a doe and a yearling too far for a shot. Had an encounter with a hog snorting at me. SOB was a little too close for comfort.

Sad thing I came across a rotting 8 pt if anyone is missing a deer. Do I need to report that location to the WMA guys?

Comment

Working...
                                X