Youth hunts and school question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth hunts and school question

My oldest is going to start kindergarten this year, so I haven't been keeping in touch with how school has changed in the last 22 years. We used to have guns in the back windows of our trucks in the school parking lot. I was looking at some of the Tp&wd youth hunts and some of them are during part or all of the week. My son won't be able to apply for another 3 years, but I was just curious how you guys take your kids out of school for more than 1-2 days.

It is worth taking the time off to create the memories. We would talk to the teachers before hand and get all of the assignments to make sure it got done.

Comment

What do you mean how do you take your kids out of school for 1-2 days? They're your kids. You can take them wherever you want...

Comment

My son is 14 and will be a freshman. He has missed a lot of days to hunt /fish. Most of the time we ask for the work missed in advance.

Comment

ive written a note to the principal of my kids school since they were each 3. I write of creating memories with children and trying to instill a passion and discipline for the outdoors. I state how hunting and fishing are a way of life and many lessons beyond a desk and chalkboard can be taught. I've ALWAYS gotten the schools admin to count the missed days as excused..

Comment

See that what's I mean. I don't know. What do you tell them, we're going deer hunting for the week? I think you can't miss a certain amount of days? Truancy laws? That's why I'm asking you experienced parents.

Comment

Heck, I took mine out for a week last year for her first muledeer hunt in Montana. But they are used to her leaving at 12 on Friday's during deer season or showing up to school in her hunting attire from a quick early morning duck hunt. Talk with the principle and explain the situation at the beginning of school season, that way they are not surprised when the time comes.
              Attached Files

Comment

When mine was of age, I could pull him out at 10am and he wouldn't be considered absent for the day. Being a rural school, they always knew he was going on a hunting trip.
                As far as the youth draw hunts, of course it's been a while, but when I put in for my son, hunts were always on a weekend or during Christmas break, when they were out for like 2 weeks. Has these changed?

Comment

I use to miss or leave at noon on most Fridays during deer season growing up.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I used to leave on fridays for the lease as well. I just never took a week off from school to hunt. I saw one of the draw hunts was 5 days during the week and it got me to thinking. I’m sure a lot of things are different than in the 80’s and 90’s when it comes to school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The TPWD youth hunts are usually really good about putting them on a weekend, they're usually Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon, or on Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Lots of people only do the Sat/Sun portion. It's usually the adult hunts that are during the week. My kids always saved up their sick days and used them for hunting, no qualms pulling up to the school on a Thursday at lunch time with a fully loaded up truck heading out. They got the biggest kick out of jumping into the truck while all their friends knew they're heading out. I had a boat attached to the truck once and went inside, waiting for kiddo to come out the principal asked if he could go with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                        See that what's I mean. I don't know. What do you tell them, we're going deer hunting for the week? I think you can't miss a certain amount of days? Truancy laws? That's why I'm asking you experienced parents.
                        Truancy laws are a joke, but even so pretty much all the schools allow kids to make up time later anyway (mine have had to). All they really care about is funding, and if the kids make up the time they get their funding.

Comment

Education in the woods is worth 10x more than public test preparation.

My son is 12 and we have been missing 5 days of school every fall since he was 9 for hunting trips. Each year I write a letter to each of his teachers explaining the history and importance of the skills we have been refining. The week before I follow up with another status update email and request work for the week. We can usually get all his work completed before leaving.
                          Last edited by TN_boy; 07-17-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I take them out and don't even think twice about it. The problem is that there are people out there that think going hunting or fishing with Dad isn't a good enough reason to miss a day here or there. I don't care what they think.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                              Thanks for the replies guys. I used to leave on fridays for the lease as well. I just never took a week off from school to hunt. I saw one of the draw hunts was 5 days during the week and it got me to thinking. I’m sure a lot of things are different than in the 80’s and 90’s when it comes to school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Which hunt was that? I've never seen a youth hunt during the week unless it was Thanksgiving or over Christmas break.

Comment

Working...
                              X