Alfalfa Hay Bale Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfalfa Hay Bale Feeder

I finished up my Alfalfa Hay Bale feeder. I had the legs, mounting brackets, and cattle panel, so I all had to buy was the barrel & hardware. I think it came out pretty good. I was going to do it with rebar but I saw one made with cattle panel.

My only question is, my height is about 43" to the bottom of the feeder. Will that be low enough for most deer to feed comfortably? I have read anywhere between 36" - 44"
    Attached Files

Your height is good. Only thing I can recommend is when filling it to not just drop the bale in. You'll want to break the bale apart and and drop it in a little at a time. If you just drop in the whole bale its own weight will keep the deer from being able to pull any out to eat.

Comment

Yes, I was planning on pulling the bale apart to make it easier to pull out

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Looks great! We made some this year and ours sit right at 36" to the bottom. Our deer aren't hammering it but they are eating it.

Comment

What does a bale cost? I saw a small chunk in Tractor Supply and it was $16 and weighed maybe 20 lbs.

Comment

Be careful buying it if it's compressed in a vacuum seal looking bag. Most of the alfalfa like that is shredded pretty fine and it will pour out of the feeder. I made that mistake before.
              The feeder I had was two barrels together but it was just too dangerous to climb that high whith a bale of hay. My deer and axis were eating about two bales a week so I built a bigger feeder that holds right at six bales that I can fill from the ground. I'll try and find a picture of it

Comment

Comment

nice feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
                    Your height is good. Only thing I can recommend is when filling it to not just drop the bale in. You'll want to break the bale apart and and drop it in a little at a time. If you just drop in the whole bale its own weight will keep the deer from being able to pull any out to eat.

Hmmm

Maybe this is why my deer don't eat alfalfa.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                          Dude, you are slinging some corn!!!!

Comment

Lol. I had left about an hour after the pic. I was filling feeders and was leaving that day and had a bag of corn left over

Comment

Casey - Have you set up your hay feeder yet? I just put mine out this weekend in E. TX and was wondering what kind of results you were having... Let me know!

Comment

Working...
                              X