Newton County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newton County

Has anyone bowhunted on these units, particularly Unit #122 ?
    Was wondering about deer sightings, how crowded it was ?
    Also, was wondering if it was basically all timbered or not and since the hurricanes last year was wondering if there was a lot of timber on the ground making it difficult to get around ?

I heard the hurricane did a number on the state parks in that area, and alot of the big thicket preserve has been destroyed not sure how close that is to unit 122 since the big thicket is not type II land.
    Last edited by boss bowman; 11-01-2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Boss Bowman
      Thanks for the response. I guess the best way to know for sure is to just go and check it out. Maybe I can do that here shortly.
      If anyone else knows anything please feel free to hollar
      Thanks

Comment

ttt

Comment

No information yet?

Comment

Newton county #122

We hunted that unit about a month ago, first weekend of gun season, long drive from where we live, so didn't make it till Sat afternoon, I googled the earth, the entire area for about a week before we went down there, the satallite (pictures)are pretty accurate as far as looking at the area from above, but it's a little confusing as far as knowing if you are on the right roads or not because there are a lot more of them than what is shown in the handbook, I wanted to hunt northern powerline area as there are several creeks that cross it (google for detail) and we got there and you can drive that powerline, but you really need four wheel drive, there were several vehicles already on it parked, we saw three does come barreling out of the woods about 10-15 yrds. from the first truck and run down the powerline towards us before disappearing into the woods. We didn't want to intrude on someone elses spot so we backed out and went over to 1414 and counted creeks till we were sure that we were on the right roads and could navigate around, there are a lot of huge clear cut areas, recent and old with a lot of new growth on them, the forest is very thick so thick in the new growth pine that you can,t really get into them without being noisy, if you get on a creek , huge old trees, oak and pine and magnolia, the creek bottoms are huge and have water flowing in them, lots of skeeters, no lots of skeeters, in the woods. We didn't see anymore deer, probably because we were walking and stalking and scouting, we did see a fox, never seen one of them before anywhere, and we did find someones bow stand, plywood platform bout 20 ft. up with big nails for a ladder, 5 gal bucket corn feeder, beautiful spot, big wide open heavily timbered creek bottom. We only saw 3 hunters vehicles on north part of unit and zero hunters on south part. There have got to be some monsters in that unit and a bunch of them if you can find em', wish we had had more time. Look at where Mill Creek crosses the road south of the powerline, just southeast of that point is a short dirt road that parallels the creek and a narrow clear cut that dead ends into a very large and old clear cut , cross that clear cut to the creek and you'll see what I mean. You should be able to see a large green rifle stand way up the hill across the creek on the edge of another clear cut. I wish that unit was not so far away I'd be there every weekend. I did talk to a rifle hunter in Newton Sat nite and he said he was hunting Temple land just north of the map area and had passed on a 12 pt. that morning because he was looking for bigger. Evidently there is a lot more Temple land around there that the locals know and is not on the map. We would be down there this weekend but have to work a bit but we will be down there again week before Christmas. Hope it's cold, cut down a bit on the skeeters. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Comment

Evidently there is a lot more Temple land around there
              That whole region of texas is temple inland land, its everywhere.

Comment

Thanks for ya'lls input. I know I've missed the rut which is the best time but I will be going up for a couple of days to look around the middle of this month. I'll keep ya'll posted

Comment

Working...
                X