Homemade mud motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade mud motor

Lately I have been working on what will be my third mud motor. My first one ever was a mud skipper and second was a surface drive I built. My current project is a long tail mud motor that will use a u joint similar to the go devils in order to be able to have a shorter driveshaft than the mud skippers. I have a good idea on how all of it works but there is one thing I’m not sure about and if anyone knows more about it than I do advice would be appreciated. So if the force from the prop is coming through the driveshaft do I need some sort of thrust bearing setup that the driveshaft pushes against in order to move the boat or can I allow all the power to go straight to the PTO on the motor pushing in on the shaft? It is a predator 420cc and I have a 3/4in driveshaft and 9x9 prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound like I know more than you do, but I made my own out of a 15HP B&S motor in HS with a U-Joint off the driveshaft. I sheared a TON of pins on the U-Joint. I always attributed it to some small lateral misalignment that put a little lateral load on the joint that failed the pins due to the high cycles. Maybe some kind of journal bearing would have worked to align the joint... never tried. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X