Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
    I believe the no vehicles downstream passed Chicken Creek is referring to ATV traffic coming from Rosita. There used to be a fence at Chicken Creek that crossed the river but I don't know if it's still there or not. ATV'S aren't allowed east of Chicken Creek. The river crossing at Mullinaw basically gives you access to the roads that the oil and gas companies use on the north side of the river.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Oh ok cool deal. I bet fishanhunt is spot on that it is pretty busy during mulie season.

Comment

Has the water gotten high enough to make its way in to Evans yet?

Comment

Nope, I'm not sure where it has been at in the past but Evans didn't have any water going into it. Although it wasn't to far away from the mouth.

Comment

I got a mulie spike, spotted and stalked to 42yds,with a group of 4 other mulies. Saw a ton of deer but the only good bucks we've seen we're at night while driving. I'm on top of a canyon glassing now, will post pics when I get back. Finally sealed the deal on public land mule deer... Now to find big daddy. I'll post pics soon

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
            I got a mulie spike, spotted and stalked to 42yds,with a group of 4 other mulies. Saw a ton of deer but the only good bucks we've seen we're at night while driving. I'm on top of a canyon glassing now, will post pics when I get back. Finally sealed the deal on public land mule deer... Now to find big daddy. I'll post pics soon
            Congrats on the mule deer, that's awesome!
            Did you see many whitetail or just mule deer?

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

We never saw any whitetails but we were not looking for them. We have whitetails all over at home but have to drive almost 500miles to the mulies

Comment

This time of year it is hot or cool day to day. Also can be very windy day to day. The Lake has risen 4' or so in the past 3-4 week so no exposed shore line, only inundated vegetation. Mulies in the canyons and Whitetails on the river bottom with some overlap. If you want to hunt north of McBride boating in from Harbor bay would be a good option. Martins and Evans Canyon's are across from Harbor Bay's RR boat ramp. Those 2 canyons have no roads or trails that I am aware of so it will be extremely thick in there. The Mullinaw crossing is probably closed off due to the river running pretty good. Also Ute Lake in New Mexico is spilling over and they planning on a water release which will add a lot of volume to the already running river. Beware of Rattle snakes as well. I had a run in with a diamond back rattler as big around as my forearm out there. Turkey Creek trail on the east side of the lake has been flooded and is now unusable from Harbor bay area south.

Comment

I did see on IG a fellow that appeared to have mountain biked in on a trail and harvested a mule deer buck. They tied the carcass to bike and walked it out of there. I thought that was pretty funny.

Comment

I'm hoping the lake keeps getting a little water. All that flooded vegetation makes for some fine duck hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
                      I did see on IG a fellow that appeared to have mountain biked in on a trail and harvested a mule deer buck. They tied the carcass to bike and walked it out of there. I thought that was pretty funny.
                      Haha nice!! Whatever works I guess.

Comment

Has anyone or does anyone hunt the Bonita Creek Archery/Shotgun only area?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          I'm hoping the lake keeps getting a little water. All that flooded vegetation makes for some fine duck hunting.
                          Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Looks like they are about to open up Blue West boat Ramp!

Lake Meredith Water Level including historical chart

The lake usually trends upward late summer / fall. The water release from Ute should keep it rising. I read an article that stated the spill way at Ute has so much volume that a lot of the water coming off the spillway flooded outside of the river channel. They were going to waiting until that settled down then open the gates slightly to capture as much water as possible inside of the river channel. It take 4 days to reach Lake Meredith from Ute, about 106 miles or so.

Comment

It has come up 3 feet in the last week and I just read chicken creek is closed due to erosion from all of the water coming in. Good to see the lake coming back! Cant wait for the walleye fishing to come back also.

Comment

Gonna be some good duck hunting this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
                                Congrats on the mulie, I only wish I had more time or scouted before I went. I know I'll be back next year to try again for a mule deer. Also to Jackryan, I didn't see a single whitetail where I was at.

Comment

Working...
                                X