• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome build and great thread

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman08 View Post
      http://www.skidpro.com/skid-steer-at...-brush-cutter/

They are running a 377lb flywheel and have a 3-3/4" driveshaft hooked to that direct drive motor. Only around 11,000 fpm blade tip speed.

I think a lot grass gets missed at higher ground speeds with rotary cutters due to their blunt (1/16" ~) edge. I have debated sharpening a set of rotary cutter blades similar to a finish mower to run on the tractor at a higher ground speed to see if I get better results. I would only do this in an open field and recognize I would have to sharpen more often, but the potential faster ground speed would be nice!

I will probably end up buying one. I would not be the only person operating it, and the thought of something going wrong at those rpm's scare me.
      That chart sure looks a bit like mine...I couldn't find anything like that when i was trying to build this...and I looked and contacted all sorts of folks.

What I would like to find for my next build...where to buy that output hub/bearing/spindle thingy. If I could get my hands on one of these with a 3" or larger shaft, I would build a mean mulcher, like the one from Diamond Mowers. I have seen videos of that beast on youtube, and saw a new one at the Bobcat dealer in SA, but I haven't seen or heard about anyone using one in this hill country cedar. It spits out hardwoods in about 2 seconds!!

I have heard of others that put super sharp edges on those blades and cut lawns with them. I agree...certainly you could travel faster than the normal snails pace.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
        That chart sure looks a bit like mine...I couldn't find anything like that when i was trying to build this...and I looked and contacted all sorts of folks.
        Yep, I just recreated based off what you had posted previously! (thanks ). Sure made it easy to do some side by side comparisons.

Comment

Yep, I just recreated based off what you had posted previously! (thanks ). Sure made it easy to do some side by side comparisons.

Oh, I thought that was something you got from Skidpro! Good deal, glad it could help. Skidpro looks to have the best output shaft/ spindle around...I wonder if they would sell some of their components? I called several manufactures last year and most of them were completely unwilling to sell components and most wouldn't share any info as well...understandably.

Comment

Went and test-drove the rotary cutter....now with the thread locker and roll-pins. Spent about two hours riding her hard. No more loosening of the carrier nut.

A few pictures of her in action:

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
              Oh, I thought that was something you got from Skidpro! Good deal, glad it could help. Skidpro looks to have the best output shaft/ spindle around...I wonder if they would sell some of their components? I called several manufactures last year and most of them were completely unwilling to sell components and most wouldn't share any info as well...understandably.
              I doubt they would sell the shaft alone. You could ask, and if the answer is no then you could call some machine shops near their location and probably figure out who they have manufacture them pretty quickly.

Comment

I doubt they would sell the shaft alone. You could ask, and if the answer is no then you could call some machine shops near their location and probably figure out who they have manufacture them pretty quickly.

I like your style [emoji48]

Comment

Working...
                X