Clear All

DIY Septic??

DIY Septic, what do I need ?
    Permit
    Soil Sample
    Is that it?

Not gonna pay someone to do what I can, I have a trencher and a backhoe
    Last edited by Leemo; 05-12-2019, 02:40 PM. Reason: Sp

Is this whole house used every day of the year? Or is this a deer camp special used very limited?

Comment

I’m selling my house in Bay City, moving out to the sticks, new house, building my self, paying cash. No financing, electric and water already on sight

Comment

permit is the start, the inspector will be very helpful on the whole process on a diy

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          DIY Septic, what do I need ?
          Permit
          Soil Sample
          Is that it?

Not gonna pay someone to do what I can, I have a trencher and a backhoe
          Here in Grimes County when I was going to do mine the county provided a drawing with specs required along with the steps in the process. It was simple, but I decided against it because I didnt see saving much. I would have had to rent the eqpt. That ate up most of the savings in my situation.

Comment

Check with county to see if they have "septic certification" class. I think it is a one day class. You are certified to inspect YOUR tanks and submit report. It will save you 100-150 each year.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Used to be if you owned ten or more acres, you didn't have to be certified or have someone do it. I've put in three myself. I think the county will provide specs. My advice, use the graveless field line and enough length, use a large tank,(or two, depending on the size of your family), put a gradual fall on your pvc line so your solids don't outrun the paper, and a gradual fall on your field line so water soaks up the full length instead of running to the end. One more thing, make a "smokestack" cleanout to put over the hole in the top of your tank. It can be made out of light wall pipe a couple feet high with a damper type top on it. When it comes time to suck your tank out you won't have to dig up your yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Used to be if you owned ten or more acres, you didn't have to be certified or have someone do it. I've put in three myself. I think the county will provide specs. My advice, use the graveless field line and enough length, use a large tank,(or two, depending on the size of your family), put a gradual fall on your pvc line so your solids don't outrun the paper, and a gradual fall on your field line so water soaks up the full length instead of running to the end. One more thing, make a "smokestack" cleanout to put over the hole in the top of your tank. It can be made out of light wall pipe a couple feet high with a damper type top on it. When it comes time to suck your tank out you won't have to dig up your yard.
                  400 acres

Comment

Two 500 gal. tanks at the farm with a backhoe. Traditional system. Don't recall asking permission. 20 years ago.. Used a lot of pea gravel and filter fabric in red clay/rock.

Comment

I like this for a small camp

simple
                      Attached Files

Comment

400 acres, they would never know its there. Not rocket science, they sell tanks at HD and lowes as well as corrugated leach lines.100 ft solid 200 ft perforated over dich with septic rock.

Comment

Check with county health department. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Probably will have to have someone come out an engineer the system. Then you just follow their drawing and instructions, and then once installed, the county will come out and inspect it to make sure it works correctly. We used a mound system at our place. Would have done it myself if I knew then what I know now.

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
                            Check with county health department. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Probably will have to have someone come out an engineer the system. Then you just follow their drawing and instructions, and then once installed, the county will come out and inspect it to make sure it works correctly. We used a mound system at our place. Would have done it myself if I knew then what I know now.
                            If I was to ask anything of the county it wouldn't be that. Do your research first and find out what is required in your county. Don't tell them your plans until you know the answers. You'll end up with some Jack wagon from the health department telling you when and where you can take a dump.

Comment

You can find all the info you need on the internet a bout how to properly construct your system. No way I would ask the county anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X