Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22/250 and 55 gr. Sierra Gameking performance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22/250 and 55 gr. Sierra Gameking performance...

I currently load the 50 grain Barnes TSX for her Ruger and they perform very well at about 3700 fps. I'm considering loading the 55 grain Sierra Gameking and pushing it at about 3600-3700,but am concerned that the bullet may blow up and not penetrate very well.

Anyone have experience with this combination?

they will work fine Sierra makes a good bullet

Comment

Not the game king but should be similar.

I’m shooting a Hornady 55 SP w/cannelure at 3717 avg.
      Have shot jack rabbits, pigs, whitetail doe (neck) and an Axis doe (neck)
      Pig was about 80-10lbs. Should shot it, went through shoulder and turned inside into jello. Others were ear holed.
      Neck shots on deer went straight through coming out about size of golf ball.

Comment

I shot the Sierra 55's for years and they are ok. The TSX 50 gr is what I shoot now and it gives better performance on hogs/deer.

Comment

For killing deer? They are a deadly bullet in my 22-250 but you could slow it down a bit.. Im at 3400ish.. They pass through on chest shots(deer)..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
            For killing deer? They are a deadly bullet in my 22-250 but you could slow it down a bit.. Im at 3400ish.. They pass through on chest shots(deer)..
            I was considering slowing them down a bit. We kill mostly hogs, big hogs and deer with it. The 50 gr TSX has been my favorite for the caliber, but I'm thinking about availability at this point.

I'm currently out of the 50 gr. TSX, but I will buy whatever's available. I've had good luck accuracy wise with Sierra bullets, but have had some not so good experiences with them as far as killing game.

Comment

What is the twist rate of your barrel?

Comment

I have never shot the Barnes 50 gr TSX out of my 220 Swift but I am a Barnes fan for some of my other calibers. I do shoot the Sierra 55 gr HPBT #1390 almost exclusively for coyotes in my Swift and they are a very accurate and fantastic performing bullet for that purpose.
                I have shot the Sierra 55 gr Soft Point and I am assuming this is the bullet you are referring to since this would be for deer. I think it would be fine for that purpose and out of my Swift it was also very accurate. As you know, it is going to expand and come apart unlike the Barnes bullets. That does not mean however, that it will not do the job on deer. They just perform differently. Personally, I would want to stick with Barnes for use on deer but I know you said you cannot find any of them right now.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                  I have never shot the Barnes 50 gr TSX out of my 220 Swift but I am a Barnes fan for some of my other calibers. I do shoot the Sierra 55 gr HPBT #1390 almost exclusively for coyotes in my Swift and they are a very accurate and fantastic performing bullet for that purpose.
                  I have shot the Sierra 55 gr Soft Point and I am assuming this is the bullet you are referring to since this would be for deer. I think it would be fine for that purpose and out of my Swift it was also very accurate. As you know, it is going to expand and come apart unlike the Barnes bullets. That does not mean however, that it will not do the job on deer. They just perform differently. Personally, I would want to stick with Barnes for use on deer but I know you said you cannot find any of them right now.
                  I'm a big Barnes fan myself. I use them in my 7 SAUM and 257 Roberts. I'll keep loading the 50 gr TSX if I can find them and I think I have a line on the 55 Sierra SBT so I may try them. Her rifle is a 14 twist so I don't think I'll try much heavier than that.

She likes to shoot big hogs as well. I'm not sure how well the Sierra will do on a shoulder shot 200+ lb pig, but we'll see. It's all about availability at this point.

Comment

Working...
                  X