Building a Door Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Door Blind

This year was the first year I was able to get on a lease and to say it has been amazing would be an understatement. I also understated the amount of work it takes to get feeders, blinds, food plots, and $$ to start from scratch. My good friend is also on the lease. I started by building him a very nice elevated blind which we went all out on with deer view windows, etc. When it came time to build my stand, I was looking for a cheaper option for this year. My main location is a recent clear cut with a creek bottom running a curve. I've always wanted an octagon shaped stand as it always seems I want to look right where the corners of the blind are. This location lends itself very nice to an octagon shaped stand.

A while ago, I purchased a bunch of doors because I was going to build a storage cabinet in my garage with bipass doors. I think I got a lot of 10 off them off craigslist for $20. That never happened and they have been sitting in my garage ever since. I figured the doors would make a good deer blind. They are hollow core so should have some level of insulation.

Here is the progress of making the "Door Blind"

I started by cutting cardboard strips of each of the sizes of doors I had for the best way to lay them out.

This is how I originally laid it out. It ends up bring 6 ft wide and roughly 5 ft deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The doors already had hinges so I used it to my advantage to quickly connect them. All I had to do then is put the pin in. Instead of all the math, I created them with the hinges and then traced out the floor to cut. I used solid core doors for the floor which was a part of the group of doors.

Comment

For the windows I cut them out with a jig saw. I ripped a 2-by down to the correct width and inserted it with glue. I screwed it in all the way around. This would have been sufficient but I didn’t care for how it looked. I had leftover trim from my last house so I framed out the inside and then added trim to the outside and inside. I used a lot of caulk to make sure water couldn’t get in anywhere.
        The photos are in the reverse order.

Comment

Thats a really cool idea/build. What will you close the gaps with?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

looks good. Are you going to skin the outside? Figure those hollow core doors will be a mess if any moisture penetrates them.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
              Thats a really cool idea/build. What will you close the gaps with?

I’ll rip 2x at an angle to fit in there. I was planning to put weatherstrip on the edges but ended up caulking them.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                looks good. Are you going to skin the outside? Figure those hollow core doors will be a mess if any moisture penetrates them.

Yep- that’s right. The end grain is the most susceptible. My options were to cover it all with the red guard stuff which water seals or I painted it extremely well with exterior paint to keep the moisture out. That’s really why I framed the windows better to keep moisture out of the cut edges and used lots of painters caulk. It’s for sure not the best but for $20 worth of doors, I think it’ll last a few years if I paint any bad areas.

Comment

Following - want to see how this turns out, great idea

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                    Yep- that’s right. The end grain is the most susceptible. My options were to cover it all with the red guard stuff which water seals or I painted it extremely well with exterior paint to keep the moisture out. That’s really why I framed the windows better to keep moisture out of the cut edges and used lots of painters caulk. It’s for sure not the best but for $20 worth of doors, I think it’ll last a few years if I paint any bad areas.

I used 2 hollow core doors for the exterior doors on shed I built at our last house. A really good coat of exterior enamel paint about every 3 years or so and they held up well for the 12 years we lived there.

Comment

Any progress updates?

Comment

Really interesting concept..Only prob I see is lf there indoor doors they don't hold up to WET...The indoor doors I have used in outdoor applications delaminated and fell apart in a few months...But if you can seal them should be cool... Outdoor doors hold up ok but they Heavy..Hope ya get it to work out

Comment

That is a very cool idea! And yes, looking forward to the finished product.

Comment

Comment

To have a bit of a slope to the roof, I had to cut the tops at an angle. After a bunch of trying to think of the angle, I decided it was just easier to rip and attach a 2x to the top of the door. It actually worked out very well.

To seal the gaps, I ripped a 2x to fit in there. Figuring that angle was a pain. In the end I was off some but extra caulk sealed it up well. In one of the photos they are actually laying on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                              X