No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tell yall what! I'm about dang ready for the compartment assignment! I am jonesing to do a little Google scouting but it's futile if I don't know the unit.

Comment

I don’t mean to crush anyone’s dreams, however, I hunted here last year all 3 days morning and evening. 1 day I never left, and the only thing I saw was a bumblebee and a bird. Now, it is a beautiful place and I believe there were 2 deer harvested and a turkey, but that was it, out of 3 days of hunting. It all depends on your unit. Enjoy the wilderness, but make sure you bring a 4x4, it is very rough terrain. Enjoy and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by erikbeagle View Post
        I don’t mean to crush anyone’s dreams, however, I hunted here last year all 3 days morning and evening. 1 day I never left, and the only thing I saw was a bumblebee and a bird. Now, it is a beautiful place and I believe there were 2 deer harvested and a turkey, but that was it, out of 3 days of hunting. It all depends on your unit. Enjoy the wilderness, but make sure you bring a 4x4, it is very rough terrain. Enjoy and good luck!

I sure wish I would've read up on this place before hand a lot more.

I've been putting in for it for 4 years now. Reading comments on here has me wishing I would've just stuck to the LANWR and LRGVNWR hunts.

Oh well, live and learn. I'm still going to hunt it and make the most of my time out in the woods.

Comment

Today I was told that compartment emails should go out sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Comment

Got it today.

I'll be in 1-13, so I guess that's just the normal Unit 13 and am required to hunt from a provided blind. Roughly 140 Acres total for the unit, but maybe a view of two pastures from the stand with a max shot distance of 410y.

More than likely view limited to a 100y across pasture unfortunately.
            Last edited by bdubb; 10-20-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I'll be in 1-14 on RM243. Also says I must hunt from a provided blind. Looking at the compartment on Google Maps.....not real excited about it but I'll make the best of it!

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
                I'll be in 1-14 on RM243. Also says I must hunt from a provided blind. Looking at the compartment on Google Maps.....not real excited about it but I'll make the best of it!
                Feeling the same about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bdubb View Post
                  Got it today.

I'll be in 1-13, so I guess that's just the normal Unit 13 and am required to hunt from a provided blind. Roughly 140 Acres total for the unit, but maybe a view of two pastures from the stand with a max shot distance of 410y.

More than likely view limited to a 100y across pasture unfortunately.
                  I have not received anything yet. What email address did the info come from?

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                    I have not received anything yet. What email address did the info come from?
                    Mine came from Scott_Rowin@fws.gov

Comment

I got 1-2

Looking at the map, that is the same as unit 2. There are 3 blinds in the compartment. I've been assigned blind A...

Seems to be a very open area with some dence trees to the east of the blind! Should be good views all around! Now just need animals to cooperate!

Comment

Mine came from Scott_Rowin@fws.gov
                        Same

Comment

I will in that compartment as well

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
                            I will in that compartment as well
                            Which hunt dates did you draw?

Comment

Which hunt dates did you draw?
                              I will be the last hunt, dec 11-13

Comment

Received info today for hunt got Unit 1-2 i.e. Unit 2. Hunted Unit 1 before which was across the road. Should be the same though Unit 2 has 3 blinds on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X