Roping Dummy with PVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roping Dummy with PVC

A few weeks ago I asked about plans to make a roping dummy out of PVC and all I could get and find was photographs, with one exception. It had a photo with some dimensions that I was able to start with. This is a Christmas present for my grandson. He's 6.

Materials:
    3 x 10' x 1.25" schedule 40 pipe

Fittings for 1.25" sch40
    6 caps
    4 x 90 degree elbows
    8 x 45 degree elbows
    14 x T's

Oversized fittings: (this is for the back legs to swing freely)
    2 x T's for 1.5" in line, 1.25" side out
    1 x In line connector, 1.5" (Keeps the back legs separated)

2 Hex head bolts 5/16" x 2.5"
    1 Roping head (I bought mine from Tractor Supply, KM Products, Made in Texas www.TruthRoping.com)
    Long bungee cord, 48-52"
    2 cans of paint for plastic

I had to play with the cuts so I could get everything from the 3 pipes. I hate waste. So for project efficiency:
    First pipe: Cut 6 x 16" and 3 x 18"
    Second Pipe: 7 x 16" and 1 x 8"
    Third Pipe: 8 x 4" ; 4 x 6" and 8 x 8"

I started the frame at the top and built down from there. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PIECING IT ALL TOGETHER BEFORE GLUING.

It was slightly difficult to keep the Ts and elbows lined up to keep it square, especially since the glue dries quickly. I was just using the blue PVC pipe glue. Maybe a different color (clear or black) dries a little slower to allow you to make adjustments.

I hope these drawings help. I don't think I could explain it in words.

You will see that I actually have 2 spacers between the legs. I made my original with the intention of using 18" cross members, which would dictate the 2 spacers. When I was finished I realized the dummy was too tall and I had to cut it down. Also I had to buy extra pipe and had a bunch of waste. I recalculated everything to where if I made it with 16" cross members, it would not have any waste and I would only need 1 spacer.

The roping head comes with 2 hay spikes, but it isn't practical to this. You will need to drill holes through the pipe and use the 5/16" bolts to attach it.

After I finished it occurred to me that many of the commercial designs add a skid under the rails. I'm going to cut 48" from a 2" PVC pipe and use my table saw to split it lengthwise. Then use a heat gun to bend the front part up.

So again, my original dummy was too tall and I had to cut it down some, hence in the photos you will see the risers with connectors. You won't need that if you use the measurements I put at the beginning.

I seriously want to make a second one for myself. I've always wanted to rope and I learned some many years ago but never really did much with it.

On the top drawing for the top frame, it shows a 2" piece... That should read 4" piece.

Comment

Thank you very much!! My 6 year old grandson is obsessed with roping and will soon have this dummy for practice.

Comment

Good looking dummy. Put some wheels on it and you can kick it down the road and rope it on the run.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          Good looking dummy. Put some wheels on it and you can kick it down the road and rope it on the run.
          That's a great idea!

Comment

What’s the bungee cord for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
              What’s the bungee cord for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I would guess to give the back legs some kick action when you rope them. But that is a guess.

Built one in high school over 30 yrs ago out of pipe. It’s being used by my cousin’s son now to practice on. It’s built on a swivel to be turned back. No telling how many loops been throwed on it over all these years.

Comment

Oops sorry. I forgot to add the bungee cord. Yes its for the legs. Ill try to post a pic soon.

Comment

WE used a bale of hay . wasn't any pcv back then

Comment

You can do that but bales are hard to drag.

Comment

That’s cool enough to make me want to rope!

Comment

Excellent dummy especially for heading but won’t help healers much as there is no timing involved

Comment

It's meant to be drug by his sisters in the Ranger or bicycle.

It's not perfect but a great starter.

Comment

I agree, heck he's only 6!

Comment

Working...
                            X