Does my trailer need a license plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does my trailer need a license plate?

I've got a 16 foot farm trailer that I need to move from one ranch to another. It hasn't ever been registered or licensed. The way I'm reading the rules. If it grosses less than 4000 pounds and is a farm trailer it doesn't need a license plate. I can just hook on and go. Anybody know for sure?

I have pulled my brother lowboy trailer 1000 miles round trip without a plate and 1 working taillight without a problem.

I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You don’t have another trailer with a plate on it?...

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        I've got a 16 foot farm trailer that I need to move from one ranch to another. It hasn't ever been registered or licensed. The way I'm reading the rules. If it grosses less than 4000 pounds and is a farm trailer it doesn't need a license plate. I can just hook on and go. Anybody know for sure?
        I don’t know if you can do it for that kind of trailer, but I was able to get a one way temporary tag for a travel trailer. Did it all online and cost very little. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

I got mine registered as a farm trailer. I think it goes by axle capacity not total weight. I still need a sticker every year but don’t need a inspection.

Comment

The 4000lbs or less exemption is for gross weight rating.

Comment

Don’t worry about it, you should be good

Comment

It had a plate when I left sir

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ that won’t work lol.

Comment

None of my trailers have plates or lights, and my truck inspection went out in October
                    Go for it

Comment

I don’t think it does Larry. If it weighs under 4K you should be good for farm use.

Comment

Farm trailer tag costs like 5 bucks a year..... how much is peace of mind worth to you?

Comment

I think you can get away with a custom plate. Get a piece of cardboard, cut it the size of a license plate and write in bold letters. FU JB

Comment

It grosses over 4000 though. Why not just register it and get legal?

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                              None of my trailers have plates or lights, and my truck inspection went out in October
                              Go for it

Why? You don’t give a **** if anyone can see you?

Comment

Working...
                              X