Let’s discuss Hagerman quality post 2020 hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    I agree with this. Many of the success stories at at Hagerman can be attributed to shear luck. With 70 or so hunters, scouting, setting stands, hiking in and out multiple times, moving stands, searching for wounded deer how can you expect the deer to be on any kind of "normal" movement pattern. The deer are more on alert and are getting pushed around by this influx of humans. Some guys set ups will just end up just being at the right place at the right time.

If a hunter is lucky enough to get a buck that they want to kill within range it will probably be their only chance and you will normally have only a few seconds to decide and get a shot off.

Mature bucks....and I am talking about 4.5 year old bucks and older live and die by their nose. With 70+ hunters in the woods mature bucks are going to be on high alert. I will guarantee that if they are not following a hot doe they will be quartering into the wind when and if they move. If they are uncomfortable enough with the scent and activity intrusion they simply will not move until after dark. You can get away with a lot with 1.5 to 3.5 year old bucks and that is the age structure that a lot of hunters see at Hagerman. The older smarter age class bucks are there.....but they definitely are not just going to be aimlessly wandering around... unless you are lucky enough to have one follow a hot doe within bow range.

I know a man up here in Iowa that consistently kills giant mature bucks. He has a precise method of hunting these bucks that involves wind direction (most important), precise stand placement on pinch points, and meticulous entrance and exit strategy. These are bucks that he has history and intel on....game cam pictures, sightings, and in some cases close encounters. Even with all this intel most of his 180" to 200+" bucks have taken 100 to 200 hours of stand time to get them killed. Some of his bucks have taken up to 3 years to kill.

When you relate this back to Hagerman how can you expect hunters to do much better than about a 10% success rate on any legal buck in about 30 hrs on stand if the hunter does 3 all day sits.

Here is my friends buck from this year. This buck was killed on October 30th. He had been hunting this buck for two years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Very good post. Agree with this

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
      I have a friend with land by H and the pictures of the deer he sees n didn't shoot are sooo big it makes my eyes bug out. He has not killed a deer there in a few years.
      Would he like to make some money selling his land.... just kidding, but not really lol

Comment

Originally posted by McLovin View Post
        All I can say was Segment C in Harris was a S#!t show. I had a hunter see me setting up my stand and still set up less than 100 yards away. When I told him that I’m right over there, he replied, “It will be all right” and kept setting up. There were at least 7 other hunters packed in the same area. I pulled my stand out and moved. At 0900 on Sunday, my buddy had a guy walk 50 yards in front of him looking to re-locate his stand. On the GroupMe thread multiple people were moving around for one reason or another. This was 4th hunt there and I have never had this problem.
        I had same experience. Been looking forward to hunting this place for a long time. After scouting and getting our stands set up Thursday away from everyone on plan C, I could not wait until Friday am. Got to my stand bright and early by 6. At 630 had a guy come and set up within 75 yards on the same downwind trail right before first light. He lit up a cigar around 9AM. At other stand, had a guy walk by me on his phone at 930AM. 75 people is too many. Could not get away from other hunters. The group chat was comical. I packed up and drove all night to Kansas to finish the weekend. Congrats to the guys that got it done.

Comment

75 is not too many if you have the right hunters, lazy slobs lugging crossbows that are a click away from applying online now are the problem. Oh yeah and bring back the proficiency test too.

Comment

All good issues, last two (James and BBM) are 100% accurate.

Comment

Point blank... Hag separates the hunters from the gatherers.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                I had same experience. Been looking forward to hunting this place for a long time. After scouting and getting our stands set up Thursday away from everyone on plan C, I could not wait until Friday am. Got to my stand bright and early by 6. At 630 had a guy come and set up within 75 yards on the same downwind trail right before first light. He lit up a cigar around 9AM. At other stand, had a guy walk by me on his phone at 930AM. 75 people is too many. Could not get away from other hunters. The group chat was comical. I packed up and drove all night to Kansas to finish the weekend. Congrats to the guys that got it done.
                That’s insane...I wish like heck you were kidding, but I know you aren’t. Mind boggling that folks would pull those stunts

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                  About how many small pieces of land butt up against Hagerman?

The “2 acres” comment was sarcasm. I should have been more realistic. In reality these are two digit acre properties from 50-75 acres. If anyone says the entire border is not covered with two digit properties they should look again. The tax info is all public record.

You see things like 35 acres of overgrown pasture with a heated blind over a 2,000lb feeder and it’s 20 yards off the fence. Those are the ones that watch for the hunt dates and get scared a draw hunter is gonna shoot a buck they’ve been watching.

No hard feelings. I don’t want to stoke the argument I’m just stating facts and what my experience has been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                    This 100%. You guys keep putting in, you'll have a little better odds next year, there are two of us that won't be wasting our time of money there for a few seasons at least. There are much better out of state opportunities that don't get the publicity of this place, H out.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
                      not many. There are a few...but its minimal.
                      I just counted parcels....
                      89 separate parcels of land directly adjoining Haggerman.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                        Hag is not shot out. The private land owners are not the problem. There is no problem. Guys just go out there and literally expect to see monsters running all over the place. The reality is that most guys that get to hunt there just aren’t as good of hunters as they think they are. They can’t pick the right spot for the right reasons at the right time. They aren’t disciplined enough to not move around, or eat on stand or a dozen other reasons. Point blank, the monsters guys want to see out there are gonna come easy. Sure every once in a while some Gomer will Forrest Gump his way to success. There’s half a dozen or so guys I know here in Grayson county that regularly kill monsters and they all have a lot in common. Some guys just don’t have what it takes to kill old mature whitetails with a bow, but everyone thinks they do
                        Nailed it and I don't even know where "The Hag" is located.. Maybe I should research this and put in..

Comment

I would like to hunt the Hag. I have tried a few times to get drawn with no success. Got screwed on my last attempt. It is interesting reading the threads though.

Comment

Working...
                          X