Is 5 yrs old the new young?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
    I’m of the opinion that the vast majority 99% can’t tell the difference between a 7 and a 10 yr old deer so if there’s pics of all the deer on the lease that’s possible otherwise I think most everyone is guessing without history from 3.5 yrs old on up.
    Agreed!

Comment

I agree with the 7 yr old or older crowd. I also agree that unless you know your deer herd really well few if any can tell a 6 yr old from older. Using cameras over time helps with that. Its why we use video extensively to keep up with individual bucks.

Here is a nice 6 yr old from last yr. . Had a couple kickers he broke off and his 3 is broken but as you can see he is more or less a 155" maybe a little more 8 pt only 16" wide. My buddy killed him this yr and while still only 16 1/2" wide he scored 211. Biggest jump I've ever seen but we've seen countless jumps of 20-30" as bucks move into the 7 yr old plus range.

One of the bigger bucks I ever took was his best at 10. We have a couple of giants this yr that are 12 though they have been big for yrs. Point of that is that some bucks are able to be really big much later in life and by giving them more years there are more opportunities for the stars to align offering a big pop.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
        This is why I dont bother with deer leases. I prefer to spend that money on primo package hunts
        I definitely see your point, and with civilization swallowing up my small urban spots I may be forced into similar hunts in the future. Lease prices are so crazy that I can't afford to lease in areas with the kind of deer I'm used to.

I just enjoy the work too much, hanging stands, checking cameras, filling feeders, to go to package hunts.... I hunted Missouri for 3 years and to me there was a difference in rolling into town, jumping in a stand I didn't hang and trying to kill a deer I've never seen before.

But like I said, I may not have a choice in a few years...

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          I definitely see your point, and with civilization swallowing up my small urban spots I may be forced into similar hunts in the future. Lease prices are so crazy that I can't afford to lease in areas with the kind of deer I'm used to.

I just enjoy the work too much, hanging stands, checking cameras, filling feeders, to go to package hunts.... I hunted Missouri for 3 years and to me there was a difference in rolling into town, jumping in a stand I didn't hang and trying to kill a deer I've never seen before.

But like I said, I may not have a choice in a few years...

With as many Californians and New Yorkers moving here and splitting up big ranches, majority of us will be doing the same before too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
            With as many Californians and New Yorkers moving here and splitting up big ranches, majority of us will be doing the same before too long.

Agree. It sucks.

Comment

I’m on my 4th year in Schliecher county on almost 3000 acres. 9 hunters and we feed protein 9 months of the year. Our best bucks are in the 130” range. We have lots of deer and lots of basket racked 8s. Do you guys think we will ever see deer top 150” if they get to 6 or 7. There’s only 3 or 4 trophy’s shot each season.

Comment

What if you’re on a place that’s not feeding protein. Do the jumps in size later in life still apply?

Comment

What if you’re on a place that’s not feeding protein. Do the jumps in size later in life still apply?
                  That protein is a huge reason those deer are able to live so long. Places that heavy protein feed are also more incline to do other management technique's that also contribute to an older age class of bucks, compared to properties that dont feed. A ranch that doesn't offer any protein is very unlikely to have any bucks over 8 years old

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                    I’m on my 4th year in Schliecher county on almost 3000 acres. 9 hunters and we feed protein 9 months of the year. Our best bucks are in the 130” range. We have lots of deer and lots of basket racked 8s. Do you guys think we will ever see deer top 150” if they get to 6 or 7. There’s only 3 or 4 trophy’s shot each season.
                    It sounds like you have to many deer. Might need to take some extra does and basket racks off the feed bill. If you are constant with the protein and never let it run out in the 9 months you are feeding it, then a 150 is definitely possible. Let the bucks get older and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post

I would think you’d have to. My guess is your 130’s are probably 4 and 5 yr olds if you think they Bert mature. If it were mine, I’d shoot off some younger less desirables for 2 years and see what the older ones look like. With that size though I’m surprised you haven’t seen anything bigger already.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                        That protein is a huge reason those deer are able to live so long. Places that heavy protein feed are also more incline to do other management technique's that also contribute to an older age class of bucks, compared to properties that dont feed. A ranch that doesn't offer any protein is very unlikely to have any bucks over 8 years old
                        I am approaching our lease manager about feeding protein. If they will eat it.

Comment

The old age practice is great on large ranches that feed tons of protein (literally). On smaller tract with out that option we see our best deer at 6.5. Our neighbors have no rule but ours is 6.5 or the biggest deer you have ever killed. We take at least one buck between 145-155 each year. The largest has been 163. We could grow bigger deer if we could afford to year round protein but we can’t.

Comment

Working...
                          X