Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure what to do or which way to go...advice needed on going away from TradBows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what to do or which way to go...advice needed on going away from TradBows

I work rotational these days. Two weeks out, two weeks home. I did not bowhunt at all this year due to feeling like I would not be taking ethical shots with my traditional bows due to not being able to consistently practice.
    Thinking of letting my trad bows go and getting something that I can feel better about spending less time shooting before hunting. That doesn't mean that I'm just going to pull something out, dust it off and start wailing away at game animals but I do want to go a route where I will not be totally rusty if I am away two weeks to a month before hunting.
    What are thoughts on Crossbows vs Compound?

Crossbows are the way to go if you can’t practice much. A compound still takes a fair amount of practice to be a good hunter. A crossbow is point and shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know as much as some will hate me saying, but crossbow. I hurt my shoulder years ago, and sometimes it hurts when I was shooting my compound. Sold my compounds and I’ve had several crossbows over the past five-years, and kicking myself for selling most of them, but that’s another story.

I just bought a Win&Win ILF bow last week and have been shooting it every day, about dozen arrows, at 15-yards. I was really surprised that I picked it back so easily but I can definitely feel it in my shoulder. I am going on a hunt in February for pigs/Javelina and then will probably look at getting another crossbow for next bow season.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with either weapon. The compound will still feel like bow hunting because you have to draw aim and shoot when the chance presents itself. The crossbow will be more like shooting a rifle.

I have been a diehard trad guy for over 20yrs. A few years ago, I had a neck injury, that really affected my ability to consistently make good shots on critters. It may have been more between my ears than the actual injury, but either way, my performance became dismal for a while. After doing some soul searching of my own, I mostly put the sticks down for hunting for a little over a year. I went to a compound, began killing and recovering critters again, and probably most important began having fun again! I’m now back to a recurve, but if that evilness ever afflicts me again, I know where I have that wheel bow hidden at!!!

If you are not keeping up good consistency with the trad bows, you are doing the right thing by being honest with yourself and switching to another weapon.

Good luck in however this plays out for you!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 01-16-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I have all three. I only hunt with trad bows and a compound. Not that I wouldn't shoot a pig with a crossbow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DRT; 01-16-2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Use what ever weapon you want for hunting. But keep at least one trad bow for play.

Comment

As an experienced archer, either a crossbow or compound will allow to become competent fairly quickly. And you can pick up either after a 2-week layoff and shoot well enough to hunt. This spring I Had not shot my compound in several years, picked it up, and drilled a 25-yard target with 5 shots no problem.

Depends some on the state you live or hunt in. Be sure the equipment rules would work in your favor.

Comment

My opinion would be to go with a compound over a crossbow. It still maintains some level of challenge but reduces the constant need to practice of the trad bow. The crossbow in my opinion is a great option for those who require it due to injury, but it is not archery hunting. There is little challenge in pulling it to your shoulder and putting the dot in what you want to hit and pulling the trigger. That being said it is totally legal and at the end of the day your choice, these are just my opinions. Whichever way you go good luck this next season and hope you get to fill your freezer.

-Matt

Comment

.270Win always a good choice.

Comment

I also work the same schedule you do. I brought g a take down to work with me. I can’t always shoot it, depends where I’m at. But I still hunt with my Trad bow when I get off. I just shoot as much as I can when I can. What ever you feel comfortable with. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                      .270Win always a good choice.
                      Definitely will do the job. And sometimes is the most responsible choice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by DRT; 01-18-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Archery

Originally posted by matt21418 View Post
                        My opinion would be to go with a compound over a crossbow. It still maintains some level of challenge but reduces the constant need to practice of the trad bow. The crossbow in my opinion is a great option for those who require it due to injury, but it is not archery hunting. There is little challenge in pulling it to your shoulder and putting the dot in what you want to hit and pulling the trigger. That being said it is totally legal and at the end of the day your choice, these are just my opinions. Whichever way you go good luck this next season and hope you get to fill your freezer.

-Matt

Like this response to the question at hand

Comment

Maybe learn to shoot with a fixed crawl aiming method. Once you figure out your anchor and get your range nockpoint figured out -- which may take a few hundred arrows -- it becomes a lot like shooting a rifle.

Comment

30-06

Comment

I have anchored the same way with a compound bow for 20 years.
                              When I was starting to recover from my rotator cuff surgery I hadn't shot in 6 months. I set up a youth bow , @ 30#s paper tuned it in 3 shots, sight it in for 20 yards in another few shots, and killed a pig the next day- perfect shot, and a pass through.

Point is it's very easy to become efficient with a compound and a fairly light draw weight. If you're a healthy guy get a 50 to 60 lb compound that is effortless for you, shoot an arrow that weighs 400 grains or a tad under. And screw on a rage SS 1.5" or other mechanical that penetrates very well with a moderate cut, this set up will be crazy forgiving and very easy to pick up at any time
                              Last edited by cbd10pt; 01-20-2021, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X