Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #51
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

We had a state biologist speak at Rotary one yr. He stated that if people knew just how many mountain lions we had in our area (Burnet, Llano County’s ) we wouldn’t walk our dogs. Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they are rare. Just live sightings are Rare
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #52
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Hunters are also conservationists. Well, at least most of us.
This ^^^

Conservation isn't defined as "optimizing condition for ungulates at the expense of everything else"
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #53
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Man this place is eerily like the posts on facebook. It's a predator. Lions and yotes get shot in Texas. Big deal. Get over it. Did y'all vote for Beto?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #54
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlreiner View Post
Thanks TxAg Iíll read it. Iím totally game if thereís a healthy population and Iíd hunt a mature one if that was the case. I just canít stomach the thought of killing any animal thatís rare so Iím looking to feel better about celebrating someone thatís killed a ML. Just the only literature Iíve read doesnít exactly say theyíre plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll give you another reason to hunt them. Mountain lions are delicious, no joke.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #55
Longue Carabine
Six Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
This ^^^

Conservation isn't defined as "optimizing condition for ungulates at the expense of everything else"
I agree 100%. I do think the populations of predators in Texas are currently well managed by the state regulations though. None are at risk of becoming a threatened species, and predation on livestock is fairly minimal. It's a difficult balance to find.
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #56
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntorange bowhunter View Post
man this place is eerily like the posts on facebook. It's a predator. Lions and yotes get shot in texas. Big deal. Get over it. Did y'all vote for beto?

Sent from my sm-g950u using tapatalk
hahahahaha
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #57
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County
Default Big mountain lion

Fake news supposedly. It was killed 2 years ago and it was not near Garvin Store.

Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #58
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Man this place is eerily like the posts on facebook. It's a predator. Lions and yotes get shot in Texas. Big deal. Get over it. Did y'all vote for Beto?

Which post are you referring to exactly?

mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #59
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Several.

Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #60
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

funny to see the guy in the pic get "bro'd" for where he is standing, he could have just been standing there picking his nose and someone yelled smile, so he did.

ego's...smh
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #61
Duckologist
Six Point

Quote:
So question. Why do we hunt mountain lions? If theyíre so incredibly rare, especially here in this particular state, why are people hunting them? Seems to me if we keep at that practice theyíll be extinct.....or is that the goal?

If there is a legal hunting season for them then they are surely in no danger of extinction. The fact is, a hunting season is a tool to keep their numbers sustainable. Use your brains folks.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #62
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
If there is a legal hunting season for them then they are surely in no danger of extinction. The fact is, a hunting season is a tool to keep their numbers sustainable. Use your brains folks.
To be fair the majority of people seem to think that ALL large carnivores are endangered... it's a message we are all bombarded with so you can hardly blame someone for not understanding, and he changed his mind based on new info so he's doing better than 99% of people...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #63
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Quote:

Itís interesting to me how when someone, me for example in this thread, asks a question which to me.....seems to be USING MY BRAIN in the first place to gain some knowledge I didnít have prior to posting the question.......means somehow Iím not using my brain. Last time I checked it was perfectly fine for someone to ask a question. Do YOU see lots of MLís? Iíve never seen one. Never seen any sign of one and donít know anyone thatís seen one either. I donít see many posts on here about people taking them. So I thought, after I researched what I could, that they were pretty rare. If theyíre rare, in an effort to see more of them instead of less I asked if we should be killing them......sort of like a general rule of wildlife management you know. If theyíre not rare, which several good folks have pointed out in a constructive manner, Iím all for shooting one if the opportunity arises and it turns you on.

I Maybe you should go use your brain for something positive instead of adding......like Burntorange and the other dude.......absolutely nothing worth reading.

Have a nice day

Old 05-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #64
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

How many cats have you seen in the wild? Iím 47 years old and have seen 0
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #65
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I’ve never seen one. Many TBH members have seen dozens and have grainy, blurry pics to prove it. LOL!
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #66
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbait View Post
How many cats have you seen in the wild? Iím 47 years old and have seen 0
2 confirmed in Llano and Menard County. 1 pretty sure but not comfirmed in Zavala Cnty. Have heard several in South Texas
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #67
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
To be fair the majority of people seem to think that ALL large carnivores are endangered...
Either that or cute and cuddly forest creatures just eating twigs and berries waiting to get petted. LOL
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #68
Duckologist
Six Point

Quote:
Itís interesting to me how when someone, me for example in this thread, asks a question which to me.....seems to be USING MY BRAIN in the first place to gain some knowledge I didnít have prior to posting the question.......means somehow Iím not using my brain. Last time I checked it was perfectly fine for someone to ask a question. Do YOU see lots of MLís? Iíve never seen one. Never seen any sign of one and donít know anyone thatís seen one either. I donít see many posts on here about people taking them. So I thought, after I researched what I could, that they were pretty rare. If theyíre rare, in an effort to see more of them instead of less I asked if we should be killing them......sort of like a general rule of wildlife management you know. If theyíre not rare, which several good folks have pointed out in a constructive manner, Iím all for shooting one if the opportunity arises and it turns you on.

I Maybe you should go use your brain for something positive instead of adding......like Burntorange and the other dude.......absolutely nothing worth reading.

Have a nice day

Speaking of wildlife management, wouldn't it stand to reason that they are indeed not endangered if biologists and WLF have deemed them plentiful enough to hunt? Sorry I got ur britches in a knot. I'll go sit over there now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #69
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Quote:
Speaking of wildlife management, wouldn't it stand to reason that they are indeed not endangered if biologists and WLF have deemed them plentiful enough to hunt? Sorry I got ur britches in a knot. I'll go sit over there now

Lol. I did get a little riled up but only because this isnít just a place for men to make you feel stupid every chance they get. Seems to be something that happens often on here. I was just asking an honest question and after reading a bunch of literature about their population, most biologist actually say that habitat destruction and encroachment on territory are actually the main factors in the population decline. Other than the folks on here saying ďtheyíre plentifulĒ and a few folks pointing out what theyíve read, I didnít see the research that proved there was a healthy population. I hate the thought that Biologist need to label them endangered before they started regulating. I was just curious. I donít believe all large predators are endangered by any stretch of the imagination. But there are some I think we donít see enough of and itís because we as humans eradicate them. Either directly or indirectly.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #70
Calrob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

They arent endangered at all. Ive seen 6 since my 20's. Spend more time in the woods than the city..
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #71
Duckologist
Six Point

Quote:
Lol. I did get a little riled up but only because this isnít just a place for men to make you feel stupid every chance they get. Seems to be something that happens often on here. I was just asking an honest question and after reading a bunch of literature about their population, most biologist actually say that habitat destruction and encroachment on territory are actually the main factors in the population decline. Other than the folks on here saying ďtheyíre plentifulĒ and a few folks pointing out what theyíve read, I didnít see the research that proved there was a healthy population. I hate the thought that Biologist need to label them endangered before they started regulating. I was just curious. I donít believe all large predators are endangered by any stretch of the imagination. But there are some I think we donít see enough of and itís because we as humans eradicate them. Either directly or indirectly.

I think not seeing em because of their elusiveness has merit. The black hills of South Dakota are said to have the highest concentration of lions in the states. I spent a week there hunting Turkey and lookin over my shoulder and never seen one either. Saw a track, but no cat. I've seen 2 in my life, 1st 1 in Florida and the second 1 here in Louisiana. None were black of course

Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #72
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Quote:
I think not seeing em because of their elusiveness has merit. The black hills of South Dakota are said to have the highest concentration of lions in the states. I spent a week there hunting Turkey and lookin over my shoulder and never seen one either. Saw a track, but no cat. I've seen 2 in my life, 1st 1 in Florida and the second 1 here in Louisiana. None were black of course

Lol I think the black ones are unicorns. Iíd love to see one in person. As long as I was well armed

Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #73
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

is that a miniature bottle of bleach?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #74
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

There was one radio collared mountain lion that passed through my part of the country several years ago. It was released in Colorado if I remember correctly and was killed in New Mexico. That goes to show how far those things can travel. Which I think really would make it hard to keep tabs on which mountain lion belonged where and how many are in a certain State.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top