Bluebonnet care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluebonnet care?

My son bought a place here in Wise County. They are just now coming up. Obviously he doesn’t want to mow that patch now. Mow them after they have gone to seed? Old realtor pic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4F945CCB-3964-466C-B335-723661EDD20B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	25172644

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    My son bought a place here in Wise County. They are just now coming up. Obviously he doesn’t want to mow that patch now. Mow them after they have gone to seed? Old realtor pic.

[ATTACH]950153[/ATTACH]

Yep, just wait to mow until the majority of the pods have browned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      Yep, just wait to mow until the majority of the pods have browned.

Thanks! I don't think there are as many coming up now as there is in that old picture.

Comment

It is real early to know for sure. If they do come in thinner than he would like, he can pick up some seed mixes and spread into them. Time of year, quality of seed, thatch thickness, etc... all have an effect on germination.

A good place to get seed is American Meadows. They have dozens and dozens of mix options, as well as bulk seeds for individual species.

If he is wanting to stick primarily with bluebonnet, they offer seed in quantities from an ounce to 10lb bags...
        Limited Quantities Available! Texas Bluebonnet is a true-blue beauty and one of the worlds most well-known wildflowers. Famous for creating carpets of sweeping indigo color mid-season in meadows throughout the country, this variety prefers sandy, loamy and well-draining soils, as well as a minimum of six hours of sun per day. In warmer areas, Texas Bluebonnets act as perennials, coming back year after year, but in colder areas, they act as annuals. All of the seed we carry at American Meadows is non-GMO, neonicotinoid-free and guaranteed to grow.

Comment

The state will avoid mowing them being they are our state flower.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
            It is real early to know for sure. If they do come in thinner than he would like, he can pick up some seed mixes and spread into them. Time of year, quality of seed, thatch thickness, etc... all have an effect on germination.

A good place to get seed is American Meadows. They have dozens and dozens of mix options, as well as bulk seeds for individual species.

If he is wanting to stick primarily with bluebonnet, they offer seed in quantities from an ounce to 10lb bags...
            Limited Quantities Available! Texas Bluebonnet is a true-blue beauty and one of the worlds most well-known wildflowers. Famous for creating carpets of sweeping indigo color mid-season in meadows throughout the country, this variety prefers sandy, loamy and well-draining soils, as well as a minimum of six hours of sun per day. In warmer areas, Texas Bluebonnets act as perennials, coming back year after year, but in colder areas, they act as annuals. All of the seed we carry at American Meadows is non-GMO, neonicotinoid-free and guaranteed to grow.

Thank you, will mowing them after the pods have browned help over seed them for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
              Thank you, will mowing them after the pods have browned help over seed them for next year?

It should. It will help shatter the pods, and disperse the seed further than it would have fallen otherwise. Bluebonnets are fickle little flowers, sometimes the conditions make for a crappy bloom, and two years later the whole hillside is absolutely covered. That said, the number 1 thing to keep them going is waiting until after seeds mature before mowing/harvesting of any sort is done.
              They aren’t like grasses that will start over on the seed process when set back. Once they have bloomed, they will either mature seeds or they won’t.

Comment

The pods have browned, but they aren't dry yet. Wait or mow them?

Comment

Yes wait till the seeds have browned and dried.

Comment

Wait

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep that field maintained after the blooming is over. If you don't, the other grasses and weeds can eventually choke them out.

Comment

Wait till the pods begin to split open.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                          Yes wait till the seeds have browned and dried.
                          Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                          Wait till the pods begin to split open.
                          Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                          Wait

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                          Ok, thanks! He still has a few blooming.

Comment

Working...
                          X