The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
    Question... I’m becoming increasingly aware of limited chances to “clean up”. so what do you guys use that are like me that sweat easily do to keep from smelling like death, and limit chafing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I take unscented baby wipes and open them up here and let them dry out, after you hike in add a little water to them and your ready to go. Letting them dry out makes them weight a lot less.

Comment

You're going to stink regardless. I use Body Glide for chaffing and thankfully that's not often. If you come across a creek and have a minute to spare; rinse off. It'll wake you right up too. Baby wipes or any type of field wipe is worth its weight in gold; dude wipes are solid.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        For all the guys who have never elk hunted here is my advice. Killing an elk isn’t the hard part. It’s finding them. If you aren’t seeing sign or smelling them keep moving. They are a herd animal the size of cows. They leave a lot of sign. Don’t sit around and wait on them.

Noted! What’s an elks “general” pattern are they much like whitetail feed in morning and evenings? Or are they like cattle no real rhythm

Comment

Wipes have been added to the pack lol

Comment

Noted! What’s an elks “general” pattern are they much like whitetail feed in morning and evenings? Or are they like cattle no real rhythm

They are going to come down in the evenings and head back to bedding in the morning. And they do all that movement with the thermals and wind in mind; keeping it in their face most all the time.

We found a lone bedded bull last year at 11am that we should have easily killed and messed up by not setting up in the doorway that TWP mentioned. The situation we were in is an exact one that I've heard the ElkNut talk about and we blew it; could/should have been a slam dunk!

On a cold calling sequence (again like TWP mentioned) around 1:30pm a different day; we had a bull rip off a bugle with about 10 chuckles after we had been calling for 45+ minutes. Then we thought we crept into 100 yards of him but were probably still 300 yards when we challenged him. Again; I've heard this scenario time and time again in podcasts. He responded anytime we bugled; but he is just pushing is cows (we heard them too) away from us; waiting for us/the challenger to stop pursuing.

Point is- the two main chances we had last year, I had heard about the exact scenarios in podcasts and we just got a little too excited. Listen to podcasts and you can learn an insane amount of info before stepping out the door.
            Last edited by Patton; 06-21-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              They are going to come down in the evenings and head back to bedding in the morning. And they do all that movement with the thermals and wind in mind; keeping it in their face most all the time.

We found a lone bedded bull last year at 11am that we should have easily killed and messed up by not setting up in the doorway that TWP mentioned. The situation we were in is an exact one that I've heard the ElkNut talk about and we blew it; could/should have been a slam dunk!

On a cold calling sequence (again like TWP mentioned) around 1:30pm a different day; we had a bull rip off a bugle with about 10 chuckles after we had been calling for 45+ minutes. Then we thought we crept into 100 yards of him but were probably still 300 yards when we challenged him. Again; I've heard this scenario time and time again in podcasts. He responded anytime we bugled; but he is just pushing is cows (we heard them too) away from us; waiting for us/the challenger to stop pursuing.

Point is- the two main chances we had last year, I had heard about the exact scenarios in podcasts and we just got a little too excited. Listen to podcasts and you can learn an insane amount of info before stepping out the door.
              And, it doesn't matter how much you know, it will all flee your mind once you hear a bugling bull.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post

Recommend a podcast?

Comment

Recommend a podcast?

In no particular order:
                  The Rich Outdoors
                  Hunt Backcountry (Exo MTN gear)
                  ElkTalk
                  Jay Scott Outdoors
                  Kifarucast
                  Hunt Talk w/ Randy Newberg

The Rich Outdoors recent episode 158 (replay of an older episode) is the type of episode that I listen to on repeat almost.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Well I think I have made the decision that since I have already killed a real nice bull with my compound I may elk hunt with a recurve next year. Only think making me second guess it is the fact that I will be hunting and burning points in a 6 point unit that has some nice bulls in it. Would be sick to shoot a good bull with trad gear tho.

Comment

If anyone is looking for a solid rangefinder, I am selling my G7 BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder. It's in pristine condition (absolutely no scratches on the lens). I'm looking to get $1,000 OBO (retails at $1,600). It was great to me for bowhunting-- only parting with it because I switched to an all-in-one.

If you're interested, you can find it on the My Camo Exchange website.

Comment

Bahahahahahaha!!! No kidding! You work for days to get into elk, they come in, you black out and fling arrows in all directions, they leave in a cloud of dust...you spend the rest of the trip mumbling incoherent things to yourself.

QUOTE=El General;14209227]And, it doesn't matter how much you know, it will all flee your mind once you hear a bugling bull.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            36?

Comment

I know it’s highly recommended to shoot fixed blades, but does anyone shoot expandables? I’m not a fan of the blood trails I’ve gotten compared to expandables... so just curious if there was another option

Comment

What is your bow and arrow set up??? People kill elk with expandables every year. Just need to have enough KE to get it done.

I know it’s highly recommended to shoot fixed blades, but does anyone shoot expandables? I’m not a fan of the blood trails I’ve gotten compared to expandables... so just curious if there was another option

Comment

Working...
                                X