The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
    Drew unit 33 for elk. Now the planning begins. We will be packing in this year, so gear list will be completely different than last years.

I’m looking for a water filter system. I’m sure there are a ton of post about this on this thread, but looking for some of the newer systems people are using. Going to try to pack in as least amount possible, and water is the heaviest thing.
    I use the Sawyer Mini when backpacking. It can be screwed to a water bottle and used as a straw, used as a drip filter with a bag, or you can push/force water through. Lightweight, inexpensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Unless they changed it this year. If you drew first choice you can either get your money or your points back. Second choice and below, since you didn’t use points you can get your money back and keep points.
      Thats why I said its unclear. You can also do a reversal before June 14th but I dont know what that does for you. Seems like you would go back to what you had before the draw. 20 callers ahead of me this morning so I will wait until the results are final to wait on hold.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
        Drew unit 33 for elk. Now the planning begins. We will be packing in this year, so gear list will be completely different than last years.

I’m looking for a water filter system. I’m sure there are a ton of post about this on this thread, but looking for some of the newer systems people are using. Going to try to pack in as least amount possible, and water is the heaviest thing.

I used the MSR trailshot last year for a week in Colorado and loved it. Get the package with the two large bladders and you can filter larger volumes at night while at camp

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
          I use the Sawyer Mini when backpacking. It can be screwed to a water bottle and used as a straw, used as a drip filter with a bag, or you can push/force water through. Lightweight, inexpensive.
          Same here. Added a quick-disconnect to my drinking hose so I can easily pop off the mouth piece and have water from a dirty bag, run through the in-line sawyer filter, connected directly to my drinking hose and into my bladder without ever emptying my pack. Takes about 6 minutes to gravity feed 3L.

Comment

I submitted my “reversal” email for my deer tag. Its basically the same as refunding the tag later but you dont have to pay the $15 fee. I really really hate burning points and giving back a tag but it is a relief to not have to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
              I submitted my “reversal” email for my deer tag. Its basically the same as refunding the tag later but you dont have to pay the $15 fee. I really really hate burning points and giving back a tag but it is a relief to not have to worry about it.

Lol I’ll take em [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody killed a grouse with a slingshot? I’ll be muzzloader hunting again this year and don’t really want to shoot one with a .54. But was thinking about taking a slingshot with some .40 cal lead balls.

Comment

Anybody killed a grouse with a slingshot? I’ll be muzzloader hunting again this year and don’t really want to shoot one with a .54. But was thinking about taking a slingshot with some .40 cal lead balls.

Last trip to Colorado I hit two with about fist sized rocks in a National forest campground. Killed one and broke the wing of another. I’m sure a slingshot would work. You get some funky looks chasing a grouse around with a stick

Comment

Me and my buddy drew cow tags in Unit 76 3rd rifle so we are good. We both had 1 preference point but the other 3 guys in our party also drew cow tags so there are 5 in our group that drew cow tags for 3rd rifle in 76.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
                      Me and my buddy drew cow tags in Unit 76 3rd rifle so we are good. We both had 1 preference point but the other 3 guys in our party also drew cow tags so there are 5 in our group that drew cow tags for 3rd rifle in 76.
                      I’ve helped pack out two studs in that unit. Some big bulls in their, few moose also. Bring snow chains for 3rd season. Min rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        I’ve helped pack out two studs in that unit. Some big bulls in their, few moose also. Bring snow chains for 3rd season. Min rear.
                        Better to run them on the front. Give it a try next time.

Comment

Felix 40. Random question. How big was the bear in you profile pic?
                          Last edited by Etxnoodler; 06-07-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                            Better to run them on the front. Give it a try next time.
                            If you have front wheel or 4wheel’ish drive,

I run commercial z chains most the time for ease of use and hwy ability and keep one set of vbar w/cams for heavy snow or mud.

I’m north of Amarillo most the year.

Comment

Me and 3 buddies of mine drew unit 071. Anyone ever hunt this unit? This will be our very first Elk hunt, we will be on horse back through an outfitter.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Comment

Felix 40. Random question. How big was the bear in you profile pic?
                                Pretty small. 15 4/8” skull. I was still excited because I packed in with my then 3 year old to kill it. It was a big adventure for him.
                                Last edited by Felix40; 06-08-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X