Legal document help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal document help

I am looking for a legal document online so that if my wife and i unexpectedly pass our kids will in custody of our choosing. We dont have a will yet. Our family did the same thing from another state not sure if this would need to be state specific. Cant seem to find what im looking for.

I'm of no help as the only advice I have is to not put your most important responsibility, should you pass away, to a form/document you find on the internet.

Time for a meeting with an estate planning attorney and life insurance salesman.
    Last edited by SmTx; 12-08-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Do a will and put it in the will. If you don't have a will and something happens to one of you your kids will get 1/2. Happened to a friend of mine that didn't get alone with her mother when her dad died and mom needed the money to run the business and daughter took her half and mom went busted.

Comment

Get a lawyer. Seriously, get the full package... medical POA, statutory general, will, designation of guardianship before need arises, etc. It really doesn’t cost that much and will save your estate (your kids) a lot of money. I don’t practice much anymore (or at all) but any decent lawyer can handle this. Do not rely on internet forms.

Comment

Will work on getting a will right away. Thanks for the input. Have great life ins. Just dont want kiddos going to the state even for 1 day.

Comment

Legalzoom is the platform you might be thinking of. My wife and I used it for similar circumstances (and a quick solution), knowing full well that we would seem attorneys later on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              I'm of no help as the only advice I have is to not put your most important responsibility, should you pass away, to a form/document you find on the internet.

Time for a meeting with an estate planning attorney and life insurance salesman.

This. Find a good estate planning attorney. We bought the legal zoom forms and I don’t like the way they are worded, but I’m not competent enough to word it properly.

Grayson on the forum is a family planning attorney. He is who we plan to draw up the documents properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                Will work on getting a will right away. Thanks for the input. Have great life ins. Just dont want kiddos going to the state even for 1 day.

No you don’t want your kids anywhere near those places if you can help it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

This /\/\/\

If you don’t care if a judge decides who/where your kids go in the event you and wife pass (and obviously you do), get a proper will done, and consider a trust as well if there are special circumstances such as Down Syndrome. You must chose a trust administrator who will make estate decisions for children who are unable or that you don’t have faith in (drug use, etc).

Not cheap but worth the peace of mind it brings just knowing your wishes will be done.
                  Last edited by dustoffer; 12-09-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                    Get a lawyer. Seriously, get the full package... medical POA, statutory general, will, designation of guardianship before need arises, etc. It really doesn’t cost that much and will save your estate (your kids) a lot of money. I don’t practice much anymore (or at all) but any decent lawyer can handle this. Do not rely on internet forms.
                    I agree with this, but if you do a Transfer On Death Deed (which trumps a will and avoids probate), it will be much easier as far as land/home. Do a search on the TODD and file it with your county clerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post

Agreed
                      I’d happily recommend the attorney that put my revocable living trust together.
                      He thought of thugs we wouldn’t have and now have those clearly laid out in the trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                        Agreed
                        I’d happily recommend the attorney that put my revocable living trust together.
                        He thought of thugs we wouldn’t have and now have those clearly laid out in the trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        If handing money out to thugs is the plan, label me a thug. . . and revise your trust and list me. :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X