Broke 120" for the first time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke 120" for the first time.

Bow season was pretty slow at The GunnyArt Products LLC Research, Development, Product Testing Facility and Corporate Retreat (a.k.a. the "GAP Ranch")

With an abundance of does on camera I decided to take a rifle and put some lady deer meat in the cooler. They thought better of it and remained scarce until, on the last sit of the weekend not long before deciding to call it a day, a doe finally wandered out to the feeder 100 yards away. I carefully slid the gun out the window and waited for the perfect angle and began ever so slightly applying pressure to the Timney on my PSS LTR 700 308. when out of the edge of my field of view I spotted a nice set of antlers entering the field.

Now, I had already decided not to be "that neighbor" (you know the one we all blame for shooting the young deer) and I had no intention of shooting him but I figured the doe wasn't likely to be going anywhere for a while so I trained the cross-hairs over for a better look at him. I’d put him at 3 ½ I suppose but to be honest I wasn’t studying him for age in that moment. All I remember thinking was “nice rack” and “hubba hubba” what a body.
    I've only been a successful deer hunter for the last 15 years having taken my first deer at age 35. Buck fever set in pretty good when I could tell immediately he would be my best deer to date and a great way to inaugurate the new property.

I had to get my nerves under control before I would have been in any position to take the 100 yard chip shot and I waited the requisite hour and a half (or was it 30 seconds) for a good clean killing angle and let it fly. I don’t remember a mule kick or any mental snapshot of a hit but it felt good.

Next I immediately did what any modern enlightened sportsman would do… I tried to text my friends and blab on social media, but I get crappy signal in that stand so I figured I'd walk back to the bardo where I have a signal booster for the bragging session while I let the big guy expire in peace.

I packed up my junk and quietly slipped out of the blind but apparently not quietly enough because I spotted a patch of fur jump and run from 50 yards past the feeder in the last direction I'd seen the buck vacate the crime scene.

Now I began to worry.

I've never had a tough tracking job (knock on wood) especially with a rifle and it doesn't take long to reach any of the borders of the little GAP Ranch. I replayed the shot in my mind and in spite of my nerves I was certain I'd find a dead buck I just hoped it wouldn't be a day later when I saw buzzards circling.

I called for reinforcements and waited an hour or so but before they arrived I decided to at least go look for first blood.
    I found a couple good sized chunks of lung at the spot where I shot and saw a well sprayed cactus within 10 yards so I began to follow the crimson trail.

I used to hate all the cactus on my place… but it sure makes for an easy blood tracking job. Siri may as well have placed a pin and read me the turn by turn directions. He did manage to make it 185 yards before giving up the fight (Ain’t Google maps “measure distance” feature cool?)
    Thanks for the young guns who showed up shortly after to do the fun stuff like drag him out of the cactus for me. I got him capped out and quartered up. Dropped off the meat at Cinnamon Creek Ranch and green scored him this morning with a gross of 123 1/8 and a net of 120 4/8 B&C. Unfortunately I didn’t have a scale to check him with but I’m sure he was in the 175 pound range.

I’m sure he won’t be my biggest deer ever and by golly I know he doesn’t hold a candle many of the deer shot by folks here but he is my personal best.

p.s. He'd be more impressive if the guy holding him didn't tip the scales over three bills!

Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations Art!!!!!

Comment

Great deer and very well written!! I’d take that buck any day!!

Comment

Congrats...

Comment

Very nice Congratulation

Comment

Good one!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats Art! Way to go great write up

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Nice buck!!!

Comment

Heck ya. Very nice mister

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Very Nice! Congrats!

Comment

Great write up and even better buck...congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X