Going back to college...advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to college...advice needed

I am kicking around the idea of going back to college to get an engineering degree. I already have a bachelors degree in Wildlife and Fisheries science, but I can further my career if I go back for mechanical engineering.

I work full time and have a toddler to take care of, so I am hoping to do it all online if that's possible.

Any info as far as names of online colleges, amount of time and $$ it usually takes to finish, or any other info would be helpful.

Side note- I have been out of school since August 2010 and someone mentioned to me that if you do not take any college courses within 10 years of graduation, and you try to go back after that 10 year time frame, you have to start all over...basically start from the beginning verses just taking the degree specific classes.

If that's true, my time is coming up and I would like to get started pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance for the help

Tip of the cap to you in going back.

Honestly, once you select the program/school, I would setup a meet with your advisor. Colleges are becoming progressive in regards to looking at your previous coursework and working with you. It is up to the institution and their respective department that you are applying to.

Couple of questions to ponder - would a certificate serve the role better than the full scope of the degree ? Also, what about pressing for a grad degree? Some programs may require taking some of the capstone undergrad courses to establish the content foundation then allow you into the grad program.

There are a litany of resources out there to help you select the program and school.
    Compare the best online colleges in Texas for 2024 and find the right school based on Salary Score and popularity among distance learners.

Considering online colleges in Texas? Learn more about the top online degrees, useful careers in Texas, and scholarship opportunities in the state.

Also, look outside of TX for online programs. If you are planning on full online, then geography is not a barrier.

Having gone back myself with a toddler several years ago, it is definitely doable. You shift and adjust, and make it work.

Comment

Georgia Tech is a very well respected engineering school, and they have been really expanding their online programs in the past few years. Look into them.

I also recommend avoiding the "no-name" or "bad-rep" schools (e.g. ITT Tech types obviously, but also smaller schools like SMU or Lamar). I know we only hire ME's out of certain schools where I work (UT, TAMU, LSU, etc). You may have to pay more, but you'll get looked at by more companies afterward - unless you have connections in the industry.

Comment

I started going back to finish my Bachelor Degree last Summer @ Sam Houston State. I had originally attended Sam on campus back in the 90s. Life got in the way and never finished. Started back last Summer and will be done next Spring (3 classes a semester) - All Online.
        I agree with the above posts - find the school and Program you want to attend. Then setup a meeting with an Advisor to talk about your options and lay out the plan. Cost will all depend on the University and the program.
        I have found that within my Degree program there is a group of us that have gone back to school and we end up in the same classes. We have formed a loose chat group to help each other out and to motivate each other. The online path is actually not hard but you have to be disciplined to stay on top of your assignments as it is very easy to put them off each week.
        I am slowly pulling my GPA back up out of the gutter (from all the bad choices I made back int he 90s) & am hoping to get it to a respectable number before it is all done. I recently made it to a Sr classification and know there is a light at the end of it all now.

best of luck to you if you decide to go back and get the other degree !!!

Comment

OP,

Like kyleseipp suggested you should look into getting your masters. You'll probably have capstone courses to take and then you can begin the program.

Why earn another bachlor's?

And as for a time limit on going back and courses expiring, I've never heard of such a thing.

What happens is the school you choose to goto, will review your prior course work. You will then find out what the University accepts as transfer. Then you meet with the college you enroll with and they will tell you what will tranfer to their degree program. Most Universities will want your last 30hours to come from their school.

Again, to me you if you're going to do all this work go for your masters.

Comment

Engineering is a great choice. I've never met an out of work engineer. You know, to be on the safe side. Maybe you should enroll in at least one class asap to get in under the 10 year time frame.

Comment

Go for it.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice so far. I am currently employed at a major oil company in Houston, but without an engineering degree, it makes my advancement in the company some what limited. I plan to talk with a hiring manager here and see if a engineering degree is worth while vs just sticking with the bachelor degree I already have and just gain more hands-on experience (been employed with them for 9 years)

Comment

Have you considered an ecology or environmental degree/direction? With your wildlife and fisheries degree, you may have a good start to something in that area -- which could potentially tie in with your current company.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                    Have you considered an ecology or environmental degree/direction? With your wildlife and fisheries degree, you may have a good start to something in that area -- which could potentially tie in with your current company.
                    I have looked into that, and there isn't any job openings that deal with environmental or ecology right now (at least none that I have seen). Right now, I am in the downstream sector and I really enjoy it. The reasoning I was looking into mechanical is so if I decide I want to branch out to the upstream side, it should better my chances there as well as be beneficial in the downstream side too.

Comment

Wishing you the best! I went back to grad school after 8 years in the real word, and while tough, it was worth it.

Comment

Getting my engineering degree was the best thing I ever did. I will say, I don't see you getting far with an online engineering degree. To be honest, I don't see how that is even possible with all the labs that are required.

Comment

I finished my structural engr degree from tamu in 2017. It took me 5 years with working full time on the breaks and part time during most semesters, I also did 3 summers of classes. For engineering there is about 3 years of core classes you will need and most of them build upon each other so you have to take them in a certain order which can sometimes stretch out the degree. Mechanical is an awesome degree to go with but I am not sure how you could do it 100% online with all the labs needed. Most public state schools cost around 5-6k per semester and books cost around $500 a semester if you rent the ones you can.

If you do need any basic classes still I'd recommend looking into clepping out of the classes by studying some on your own then taking the test to pass the class since it's a lot cheaper and less time consuming for classes you don't really need for your major. Or look into taking them online at a junior college so they won't effect your gpa. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
                            Georgia Tech is a very well respected engineering school, and they have been really expanding their online programs in the past few years. Look into them.

I also recommend avoiding the "no-name" or "bad-rep" schools (e.g. ITT Tech types obviously, but also smaller schools like SMU or Lamar). I know we only hire ME's out of certain schools where I work (UT, TAMU, LSU, etc). You may have to pay more, but you'll get looked at by more companies afterward - unless you have connections in the industry.
                            With all due respect, I completely disagree with part of this statement. Yes, I would stay away from the University Of Phoenix type online degrees. But, saying Lamar is a bad engineering degree is just not true. I’m in the Oil industry (mid stream) as well and have seen all the different degrees and schools on resumes. You will spend double and sometimes triple on big state schools for specific engineering degrees, they are great, no doubt...but, they don’t guarantee you a job over someone from say Lamar or McNeese (two small schools with good engineering programs) just because you went to LSU. What I have seen over and over again, is a lot of hiring managers will favor their alma mater, specifically A&M guys. That’s not a knock on them, it’s a fantastic school, just being 100% honest with my 20 yr experiences. What I do see however, is folks get enamored with Ivy League schools and MBAs from Rice. Again, depends on what you want to do with your degree. Some of the majors like to use this as a tie breaker if you will. Engineering has a bracket it pays for each level and mid stream is booming and will be booming for a while it appears. Just remember, a degree is better than no degree any day. I have had to scratch and claw my entire career because I don’t have one. At the end of the day, a degree helps you not be limited to advancement, it doesn’t mean your smarter or better at what you do because of a piece of paper. It also doesn’t mean you will automatically make more money than someone without a degree as I see that daily in my industry. With all that being said, I have thought about going to college multiple times and a very close friend of mine on here just started back. Good luck sir!

Comment

Working...
                            X