Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of any other longtime cowboys on big TX ranches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of any other longtime cowboys on big TX ranches?

Tom Blasingame died at age 91 while still cowboying on the JA Ranch in TX. I think he may have started riding horses at age 8. He worked for his dad prior to leaving home to cowboy on many large ranches and not just in TX.

What about old cowboys on the Waggoner, 6666, Pitchfork, Y.O. & King Ranch?

Anyone know?

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
    Tom Blasingame died at age 91 while still cowboying on the JA Ranch in TX. I think he may have started riding horses at age 8. He worked for his dad prior to leaving home to cowboy on many large ranches and not just in TX.

What about old cowboys on the Waggoner, 6666, Pitchfork, Y.O. & King Ranch?

Anyone know?
    There was a big coffee table-style book written on this subject a few years ago with profiles and tons of pictures. Unfortunately I don't recall the author or name of the book. I browsed through it at a bookstores few years ago and I wish I had bought it. It gave the history of all the major Texas ranches. Texas Monthly did an article a few years ago on old cowboys. You might check their website and see if they index the articles so you can search. Around 2014-2015 I believe.

You might also look up Russell Graves. He used to be big into ranch photography and may give you some info.
    Last edited by 100%TtId; 11-10-2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I believe there is a book about the cowboys in the Waggoner!

Comment

Here is a link to the book
        The Cowboys of the Waggoner Ranch, a photography book by Jeremy Enlow, provides a glimpse into the lives of the 26 cowboys who live and work there.

Here is a video about making the book
        Photographs of the Legendary Waggoner Ranch and it's working cowboys.

Comment

Thanks guys. I’ll check those out. I never had time to stop at the museum in Vernon.

Comment

Here is another. Bob Moorhouse did the photos for the book. He comes from a family of longtime cowboys on some big ranches.

Comment

This is my grandfathers family linage. (LW Archery also) There are still Cowden's ranching to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                Here is another. Bob Moorhouse did the photos for the book. He comes from a family of longtime cowboys on some big ranches.
                https://www.amazon.com/Pitchfork-Cou.../dp/1569442142
                Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                This is my grandfathers family linage. (LW Archery also) There are still Cowden's ranching to this day.

Very nice. Thank you.

Comment

There are quite a few in the panhandle. I know of one who is in his late 90's that still participates(albeit less than he used to) in work around his ranch. It's normal to see him help medicate or brand. He occasionally still hops(with some help) on a horse and runs a calf down. I know of another that is probably only 25 miles from the first who is in his mid-80's and still team ropes. He still participates in a large way in his ranching operation. Both men grew up on and now own their family ranches where most of the money comes from oil and gas, so they naturally haven't worked as hard as folks like Tom who worked daily as a hand for somebody else, but regardless it is amazing to see these old guys still at it.

Comment

I ve got the coffee table book, The Cowboys of the Waggoner. We share 3-4 miles of fence with them on our lease. We have talked with a couple of the younger cowboys while they were riding the fence on horseback looking for cows or fixing fences in a truck. Pretty cool to hear some of their stories. If you go to our west fence line were it meets the Waggoner. There is one guard light that you can see in the distance in a westerly direction.It is at the pasture cowboys house. He told us it was 7 miles from the FM road to his house. Pretty cool these days being out at our place sitting and thinking about the stories and history that come from big spreads like that.
                    Wyman Meinzer is a long long time wildlife and cowboy photographer. He lives in Benjiman. I follow him on the book of faces. He has cool stuff all the time about the big spreads and his adventures. You could friend or follow him there.
                    Last edited by Abcdj; 11-10-2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Does the book only cover Waggoner ? I guess a previous post makes it sound like it may encompass stories of the other ranches as well? Does it even matter? Prolly will pick it up.

Comment

If someone thinks of or finds the name of the book with multiple ranches and cowboys please share it. I’m not far from the JA so I would love to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                          If someone thinks of or finds the name of the book with multiple ranches and cowboys please share it. I’m not far from the JA so I would love to read it.
                          Same

Comment

I own two ranches that border the Wag, each one shares 1 mile of fence,I have seen the cowboys a few times, saw the helicopters many times helping round up the cattle. My partner has been doing rock work for the new owner for over a year, they quarried all the stone from the ranch and have built or redone a magnificent hunting lodge, he is taking me for a tour next week, can't wait. Maybe I will get to meet a few of the Cowboys.
                            Last edited by mjhaverkamp; 11-10-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

The owner of the ranch I hunt on works for the Briscoe family, and his dad and grand dad did as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X