First attempt at a food plot in Bell County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at a food plot in Bell County

I have been trying to talk my dad into planting a food plot on his property in Bell County for 5 years now. This year he finally decided to give me the go ahead to try my hand at one. This plot is bordered by heavy cover on the East end and West end, and the river borders the South side of the plot. The North side of the plot has some good cover as well and just behind that cover lays an open coastal field. It was an easy decision where to place this plot as it is a natural pinch point that connects both sides of our property. On October 9th I disced 2 acres and then blended 250 lbs of oats and mixed in 15lbs of a wildlife mix that has some clover, wheat, radishes, rape seed and brassica in it. I had a soil sample from when we dug loam off of the property that showed our pH to be around 7.2 so we decided not to use any fertilizer. This soil is as good as you can ask for as we have used this material for many home builders as sub grade for front yards. Not only is it excellent soil but we got rain about 3 hours after we finished broadcasting the seed and was followed by sunshine the next morning. We then had rain off and on for the next 2 weeks with a little sunshine mixed in here and there. I couldn't have asked for better weather following our work. I apologize for the horrible pictures on the day we planted but it's the best I could do with them (pictures taken from the West end of the plot). The third and fourth pictures were taken on October 14th (on the East end of the plot) and I was shocked at how fast the plot was coming in. Finally the last picture was taken (on the East end of the plot) on October 20th out of my Lone wolf hanging stand that is about 22 feet up to the seat (this stand is on the East side of the plot). We will also be putting up a Tank Blind on a 15 foot tower stand on the West end of the plot next Tuesday. I am a little concerned with all the traffic in and out of the area for this years hunting success but I know that it will all be worth it down the road. I am really excited about this set up and can't wait to see what this thing looks like in a few more weeks and into the winter months. Please give me suggestions on what to plant here during the spring as I have very little knowledge regarding food plots.
    Attached Files

Looks good

Not sure about that area but Iron and clay peas and sunflowers get hammered the most at my place in the spring

Comment

Looks good.

We got ours in Oct 4th. First time we have planted one. It is looking good, we went and walked it 2 weeks after planting it was 2"-3" tall and several sets of tracks walking though it.

Comment

looks like you did good to me, great job

Comment

Looks great! Good luck on gettin that target buck.

Comment

Thanks everyone I hope to keep this thread updated with pics throughout the year. The hogs have been hitting the field pretty heavily but I killed 3 hogs out of it on Saturday. I am planning to set some traps out there soon as well.

Comment

Looks good, but just cause your pH is good doesn't mean to skip the fertilizer. That just means you don't need to lime it. The reason pH has to be right is that it influences the plants ability to absorb nutrients. Next time, apply a good high nitrogen fertilizer if you plant mostly cereal grains such as wheat and oats.

Its not too early to top dress your current plot with clovers and chicory which are perennials and will mature in the spring time. Another option would be to mow and spray glyphosate in the spring and follow up with a planting of legumes such as iron clay peas, soybeans, or lablab. The thing with legumes is they convert nitrogen so often they need to be fertilized with a higher phosphorus fertilizer.
              Last edited by canny; 10-24-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                  Looks good, but just cause your pH is good doesn't mean to skip the fertilizer. That just means you don't need to lime it. The reason pH has to be right is that it influences the plants ability to absorb nutrients. Next time, apply a good high nitrogen fertilizer if you plant mostly cereal grains such as wheat and oats.

Its not too early to top dress your current plot with clovers and chicory which are perennials and will mature in the spring time. Another option would be to mow and spray glyphosate in the spring and follow up with a planting of legumes such as iron clay peas, soybeans, or lablab. The thing with legumes is they convert nitrogen so often they need to be fertilized with a higher phosphorus fertilizer.
                  Shows how much I know about being a farmer By top dressing my plot do you mean just broadcasting chicory and clovers right now?

Comment

a good-looking place there.

Comment

Always seen an influx of deer about a week or so after fertilizing, just a wild theory but think there's something about the nitrogen that turns them on

Comment

Originally posted by GtownBowhunter View Post
                        Shows how much I know about being a farmer By top dressing my plot do you mean just broadcasting chicory and clovers right now?

Yes, as long as you’re still getting rain and have good soil moisturizer those small seeds will still germinate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                          Yes, as long as you’re still getting rain and have good soil moisturizer those small seeds will still germinate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Thanks for the info I will definitely try to get back out soon and broadcast some chicory. As for the clover what specific clover would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by Jpkoke View Post
                            Looks good.

We got ours in Oct 4th. First time we have planted one. It is looking good, we went and walked it 2 weeks after planting it was 2"-3" tall and several sets of tracks walking though it.
                            Post some pics if you don't mind I like seeing others progress as well. I know there are several threads about food plots but I didn't have any time to do my homework before planting this year.

Comment

I would just mix in some Durana clover with my fertilizer, and sling it all ahead of a rain. I like Durana because it is so hearty, and seems to be more heat tolerant than my native white clover.

Comment

Working...
                              X