Survey/Deer Density

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey/Deer Density

We completed our survey last weekend. We observed 162 deer sampling 2300ish acres. Estimated deer population of 244. Buck to doe Ratio is good.

Our ranch is 3600 under high fence. We killed a few good deer last year. Payne on here posted the deer the coyotes got last year. We killed 40 does last year.
    We fed 40 tons of protein this year. Never leaving the deer without.

My question is what kind of deer density are you guys carrying in south Texas.
    I think it should be 1-30 acres if not more.
    Our biologists only wanted us to take 10 does and 8 bucks on the entire ranch.
    That number seems real low to me. To me you will always be playing catch up the next year to get your numbers back down.

What should be the generic harvest rate every year? 20%?

We were on an 800 AC ranch 2 years ago that was MLD III and our biologist had us shoot 11 does and 6 bucks. I think your biologist numbers are low but my degree is not in wildlife MGT. I suspect he has his reasoning. Looks like you have good deer density but could be an age issue?

Comment

we are MLD 2200 acres we have 19 bucks and 39 does

Comment

We are not MLD sometimes I wish we were.
        The deer look healthy as ever even with the bad drought we had.
        Seems like we are overrun with 8 points too. On camera these undesirable bucks seem to be eating the majority of the protein.
        We have 8 protein feeders. Maybe we should add a few more.
        We do have a couple deer we’ve seen that are in the 80s but seems like it could be so much better.
        Brings on a whole different topic of which bucks to remove.

Comment

We are not MLD sometimes I wish we were.
          The deer look healthy as ever even with the bad drought we had.
          Seems like we are overrun with 8 points too. On camera these undesirable bucks seem to be eating the majority of the protein.
          We have 8 protein feeders. Maybe we should add a few more.
          We do have a couple deer we’ve seen that are in the 80s but seems like it could be so much better.
          Brings on a whole different topic of which bucks to remove.

Comment

I would have some questions for the biologist

Comment

I have no idea what the answer is.

I do have some advice though. If you are paying a biologist and doubt what he is telling you, it may be time to hire a new one.

Best bet would be to sit down and have a conversation with him like BolilloLoco suggested

Comment

I think Loco is right.

Comment

If you fed 40 tons of feed year round and the feeders never went empty you don’t have that many deer... if they like what you are feeding.

Comment

Yep, it is time for a set down with the biologist to get his reasoning behind his recommendations. I have no problem communicating with my biologist and do so on a regular basis via email or text.

Comment

I am also confused by your survey info. You noted 3600 acres under high fence, but you only surveyed 2300 acres? What survey methods are you using and how are you extrapolating your total numbers from your observations? As Encinal notes, if you have 244 deer and they only consumed 40 tons, that is a very low consumption rate.

I am currently carrying 1 adult deer per 8 acres in South Texas. Feed rate is about 750-800 lbs per adult deer annually.

Comment

Here are copies of the survey.
                        We get our feed from Bee County Co-op
                        The acreage is due to the grid the helicopter flew.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                          If you fed 40 tons of feed year round and the feeders never went empty you don’t have that many deer... if they like what you are feeding.
                          I’m glad you commented cause I’ve seen the deer you’ve produced and it seems to be working.
                          It basically broke down to 4 tons per month.
                          We are thinking about switching feeds this year.
                          I think we have that many for sure. I think the bucks are suffering from it.

Comment

Jan-Oct.

The feeders were almost empty last weekend.

Comment

One deer to roughly 15 acres is not a bad deer density. Heavily fed ranches can hold one deer to 5-7 acres or if not fed as heavy can hold one deer to 20 acres. It varies with the brush/browse on your property and how much you feed. Water is a major factor in the number of deer you can hold. It will also help with protein consumption if close to a feed station.

Questions:
                              Do you have plenty of water and is it close to your feed stations?
                              Do you have more than one feeder at each feed location?
                              What kind of feeders are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X