everything kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
    Just picked up feel free lure 11.5 yesterday. Fished lady bird this morning. Didn't catch anything but spent bout 4hrs in the yak. So far love it!
    Very nice rig! That seat looks very comfortable.

Comment

It is. That was big selling point for me. It will raise up to 10in.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
        Just picked up feel free lure 11.5 yesterday. Fished lady bird this morning. Didn't catch anything but spent bout 4hrs in the yak. So far love it!

Looks like a good yak, where did you buy it and how stable is it?

Comment

Austin canoe and kayak. It's super stable 36in wide I believe. I'm not comfortable standing yet. My buddy tried it out said standing it was more stable than his native slayer.

Comment

the seat all the way up

Comment

dang tomcat07 big balla rock n the hobie!

yella dog that seat looks like you could fish all day no problem, also looks like u could get a great hook set sit n up that high. is it hard to paddle with the seat all the way up, and can u raise or lower it while u r on the water?

Comment

Not hard to paddle. But a longer paddle sure helps

Comment

another good tip is always be ready, if your lure is in the water a bass will take it. kayaks have such a low profile bass will strike the lure all the way up to the yak. this has happens to me at least once every time i go out, but nothing this big... YET.

Another Trophy Bass attacks a Capt Ken's Designer Bass FROG. This one jumps totally out of the water while attacking a Light Golden Southern Leopard FROG wit...

Comment

I wanted the Old Town Predator 13 from Austin Kayak but it's 1,300 bucks.
                    I'm now looking at the ascend 12T, looks good for the price..

Comment

Well after paddling many many yaks, I ended up with a Diablo Amigo. It was by far the most stable, and even I didn't have any trouble standing and paddling. It was a very hard choice between the the WS Ride 11.5, Amigo, and Adios.... I learned a lot paddling that many yaks for two days.

Comment

is that the surfboard hybrid yak brian?

Comment

Yes. Paddleboard/kayak hybrid I guess. Sits lower in water (cought less wind ) and wider than the ws 115x. But paddled nearly as good to me. Very easy to stand up in. Should be great fishing yak. I'm trying VERY hard not to go overboard with the Mods. I love projects.

Comment

IMO you get what you pay for when it comes to yaks. The rotomolded yaks will last longer than the cheaper plastic ones. However, I guess if you stick to open water the material doesn't matter as much. Fishing kayaks have come a long way in the last 5 years. The selection has grown exponentially! If you are in the market the best thing to do is go see them in person and paddle them around.

I've got a Jackson Cuda 12 and have been really happy with it. They are not light weight but that is due in part to the thickness of the plastic in the rotomolding process. It's made it down the Devils River a couple of times now. Given the battle scars from those 2 trips I can see a cheaper kayak getting destroyed quick.

My group does overnight trips so storage and access to that storage is essential. Four day, three night trips and the only thing that sits ontop of my kayak is my fishing gear and a cooler. Everything else is kept inside.

Got her wet last weekend...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-19 17.11.49 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	24376051

Comment

My story is about the same as yours Brian. I really liked the stability of the Diablo. Also picked up a tarpon for my son. We'll be camping, paddling and fishing at lake georgetown this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24376068

Comment

Originally posted by ridge reaper View Post
                                Are the kayaks at academy any good? If not what are some good brands for a beginner?
                                Two years ago I bought a Heritage 14' Angler from Academy. I love it! Caught a ton of fish from it with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X