The hay field plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hay field plot

This is my first attempt at a fall food plot. I have planted pastures many times for my cows, but never really made a dedicated plot for deer. Finding a spot to put it was kind of a challenge becuase everything we have is accesible to cows. The only place that the cows cant get to, is the hay field. There is a little spot on the backside that we have never messed with. It's about an acre or so in size, maybe a little bigger, but is really unusable as far as hay goes. Sooo......

Sprayed with Gly 16 days ago. Disced yesterday. Gonna let it sit, and hopefully get a rain on it, and the drag the larger clumps down. Spray again if I have to. Plan to plant oats in early Oct, ahead of rain.

I dont have any pre-gly pics, but it was pretty useless looking. Full of johnson grass & thorn bushes. All that stood prior to discing was a few unruly palmettos..............all that stood after discing, was a few unruly palmettos..

Now for the money shots....
    1. "Big 'Chevon"
    2. Prior to discing. That is a new pipeline ROW in the foreground. Im going to include it too, if they ever get done. they are slooooowwwwwww.
    3. Done. 2 passes. one at full offeset, one at min. offset. (pic taken fron the top of dirt pile in first pic)

will update as it progresses......
    Attached Files

Looks goods What are you going to plant?

Comment

Oats. I might top it with some white clover, as some here have suggested.

Comment

I did oats last year and it turned out great.

Comment

Tear it up Phillip!

Comment

Drug the plot yesterday to knock down the big clods. Ran over it a few times.....looks like its ready for seed now. We've been getting some good little showers lately. Hopefully they keep coming.

The boy helped a little, until he fell asleep.

Comment

1. The finally finished the pipeline. First pic is crossing it.....dirt is pretty flat here.
              2. My helper
              3. My helper asleep & a little fun with tapatalk photo editor...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21377361285.051489.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	24235828

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21377361183.734206.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	24235825
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Palmetto; 08-24-2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Decided to fence my plot off to keep the pigs out, and the horses that sometimes graze the hay field in the winter.

It's fixing to get real.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21379177409.237651.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	24244228

Also got the boy a load of sand to play in. He is pumped!

Comment

The hay field plot

Forgot the pic
                  Last edited by Palmetto; 09-14-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

good luck with it man, great pics of the little man, hope that rain comes and dont stop.

Comment

I could a a actually use a little reprieve........need to cut some hay! But after that it can rain all it wants.

Comment

Need some advise....

plot is 1 acre
                        I want to plant oats/turnips/clover

The dirt is black gumbo. When I get ready to plant, the seed bed will be drug smooth. I plan to broadcast 50lbs of Bob oats, then drag. Next I plant 5 lbs of turnips, then 5 lbs of clover, then Roll. My roller is 24" tinhorn filled with concrete, so its kinda acts like a cultipacker. Once the seeds germinate, and get a little green, I will fertilize.

What I am wondering is, are my ratios right? I dont want to plant too much seed....or is there such a thing?

Comment

I think you might want to rethink your turnip ratio....I'm pretty sure if you plant 5 lb of turnips to 1 acre it will choke everything else out. I normally mix 1 lb to my oats when i plant about 5 ac. I usually just mix in the turnip seeds with my oats and broadcast everything at one time.

Comment

Thats what I wanted to hear! Take me to school...

Comment

The hay field plot

Finally got the fence up last weekend. I should have planted it too, but I forgot to buy my oats when I was in town. Then Tuesday we get 3.5"!!! Oh well.....

Fence pics....first is to right, next pic is to the left

..Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21380975285.914370.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	24252168

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21380975104.357910.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	24252167

Comment

Working...