No announcement yet.

Best way to communicate w/o cellular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download the app Zello Have everyone on your lease download it too. It lets you communicate with folks in your group and you do not need a cell signal. It was the main way people were able to communicate during Harvey, Irma etc. A friend of mine was able to communicate with is son during Hurricane Irma while we were at the Texas Football game. It is pretty cool once you get it setup.

Comment

How does the gotenna work in the hill country where a standard 2way radio breaks up due to "line of sight"?

Comment

Another idea, you could get an In-reach. It is a satellite communicator you can pair with a cell phone over blue tooth. They don't work if you are inside though (a camper or deer blind.) Honestly it is not something that you can text back and forth quickly with. There is a delay. But you can send messages to other cell phones or other people using an In-Reach. Great thing to have in an emergency or if you just want to send a message out.

If you are just looking for a cell signal at camp, a cell booster is the way to go. You could also get one for your UTV I suppose. Might be cheaper than the in reach.

Comment

Zello, the app lets you use your phone as a walkie-talkie or two-way radio as long as you have a network or WiFi connection.
          Zello won't help them if they have no cell phone signal.

See what cell phone service works in your area if any and get a gophone for that provider. At 25 bucks a month it might be the answer for you and you can just put it away after the season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
            Another idea, you could get an In-reach. It is a satellite communicator you can pair with a cell phone over blue tooth. They don't work if you are inside though (a camper or deer blind.) Honestly it is not something that you can text back and forth quickly with. There is a delay. But you can send messages to other cell phones or other people using an In-Reach. Great thing to have in an emergency or if you just want to send a message out.

If you are just looking for a cell signal at camp, a cell booster is the way to go. You could also get one for your UTV I suppose. Might be cheaper than the in reach.
            I was going to suggest this, but the inreach mini is 349.00, and everyone has to have one that doesn't have signal. Texts come with a plan, my plan for 30 texts was $40/month. Def good for emergencies, but I got to imagine cell booster is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Jason are you using a full size car battery ?

Comment

Originally posted by ccallarman View Post
                crossed my mind too.

Comment

Technically you lost "cellular" service nationwide 10+ years ago when they went digital.
                  It's not a cell phone....it's a smart phone.
                  LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                    Jason are you using a full size car battery ?

Regular 12 volt feeder battery....gets me 5 hunts. Well I say that...that's they most I have ever gone without charging it.

Comment

We don't wanna see your unit

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                        Technically you lost "cellular" service nationwide 10+ years ago when they went digital.
                        It's not a cell phone....it's a smart phone.
                        LOL.

And cable is not cable, it is wire... but you work for a cable company right?

Comment

From Dr. Pepper to a cable company. Larry gets around!

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                            From Dr. Pepper to a cable company. Larry gets around!
                            No period in Dr Pepper. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Incorrect. Cable and wire are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                Incorrect. Cable and wire are different.

Bob's List Of Correctness...item #4,275 and 4, 276...

I bet you blow your nose with a tissue instead of Kleenex too.. or slow cook in a slow cooker pot instead of a Crock-Pot..

Comment

Working...
                                X