No announcement yet.

Updated the deer camp fire pit!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those casters welded on or bolted? I may have some bigger ones that would work on grass better if bolted...

Comment

Works pretty much perfect!

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals

Comment

I am 100% convinced that wood smoke helps tremendously - I started smoking my cloths this year and deer sightings within range increased dramatically over the last 4 years (since I started keeping copious notes).....me experience and opinion is that the deer certainly smell the smoke as they demonstrate the tell-tale, high-head - upward nod wind check, but they don't spook in fact, they rarely change their course and their body language remains calm- no foot stomp, head bob, tail flip- you know all of those signs that we have come to know as the "oh ***** I'm busted" signs....

what is problematic about a campfire is if it is a true campfire that has been cooked over where grease and other foreign debris has made its way into the fire - I can't say that I have much experience with this, but enough folks have reported negative results with this type of set-up that I likely won't try it....

Yes I did invest in the Scent Smoker and it is a sweet device - but I didn't need and wouldn't recommend the kit which includes the smoker, chips, and torch head - in fact, I don't use the torch as I don't like the idea of driving around with a propane cylinder in the truck and the chips are very difficult to light on their own - I use one of those wind resistant BIC pen lighters - you know the one's where you push the button, then pull the trigger - some use them to light grills etc.,,, and I use some wood from where ever I am at. A few leaves in the bottom, with some twigs on top, light it as the twigs catch throw a few bigger twigs in close the lid and you smoking - don't get caught up on the brand-names - EBay has a bunch at much better prices and the shipping won't kill you either...
        A campfire grill or a barbecue grill is a great find for people who love the outdoor lifestyle. With the help of a grill grate, you can make meat, fish or

I have developed a very good system for my area as I cannot have an open fire in the yard - I put up my ground blind in the yard hang my cloths in the blind, my Heater Body Suit, my boots, day-pack, pretty much everything except my facemask, neck gaiter, hat, gloves, glass, and electronics....I then get an old pot and start a small fire in the pot using some firewood from the stack, soon as I get a consistent flame - I'll drop a bigger piece of wood on top, slide the pot in the blind and in 10-minutes or so your blind and all of your gear is "smoked up". If it is a little strong for you at first - hang the gear out on the fence for an hour or so....

Be forewarned - the smoke scent stays with the cloths for some time - including after washing....

this has worked wonders for me.....I only started this process this year and whil I haven't harvested a quality buck, I have passed on 9 different buck this year in the 110-120" range (most in the 3-year old range) - most of my friends and family think I am nuts when they see pics and vids of them walking by as these deer would be very good deer for our area of PA - if I shoot a good one I won't have a shot at a GREAT one - at least that's what I tell them.....

Comment

very nice craftsmanship!

Comment

Sweet build, not sure if the wheels will work but worth a shot. Yall should be able to enjoy that for a long time.

Comment

Very nice - just be careful of burning sole of boots or shoes on outer rail !!!

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                Shoulda put skids on it!

Yeeeep

Skinny

Comment

The fire pit has been working flawlessly! We were going to put some larger wheels on it, but haven't needed to yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X