Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting in the rain this weekend

Hi!

Generally I’ve seen good deer activity during light rain especially when cold fronts move in.

What do y’all think about this weekends rain?

Any tactics to share? Ex. Going out later if heavy rain in morning hours?? Staying in the woods vs. hunting wood line?? Has anyone noticed consistent patterns when hunting with sparatic precipitation??

I haven’t been bow hunting long and thought this might get a good conversation started...

Thanks!! And wish you success this year!

I can’t blood trail in the rain so I don’t typically hunt unless it’s with a rifle. With a rifle I’ve found the deer typically stay in live oak thickets or post oak thickets and don’t move a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ask Dkincaid mentioned... there is a risk/reward component with rain.

Risk: You shoot em, but the rain washes out the blood trail

Reward: Deer move like crazy in the light rain... or between good downpours.

Risk aside, I like a hunting ground blinds in the rain. The rain tends to wash away your scent... it gets them moving... and I get to sit covered while hunting, rather than indoors watching TV or waiting for the rain to let up. I don't mind sitting in a popup/covered ground blind during a rain. It is relaxing.

My first trad deer was a rainy morning and I walked to my blind in a thunderstorm. The deer came out when it let off and it ran off 60-80 yards. I had blood on the ground, in the mud that I could see... but what was nice was the fact that you can tell what a running deer looks like in the mud... and where it skids to a make a 90 degree turn...

That being said... after it's been raining a lot and you have a lot of tracks on the ground, it can be hard...

So... risk/reward... they move when it is raining and I'll hunt in it... but that is just me... I don't get to pick my weekends based on weather... so I won't waste the opportunity.

Comment

I won't hunt in the rain as it washes the blood trail away.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Be sure to waterproof your feathers

Comment

Love hunting in light rain, and between down pours. Lots of movement at that time, but risk involved with blood trail being washed out.

Comment

I lost a good buck a few years ago due to rain that occurred after the shot during tracking, and always pay attention to what is forecasted in the 12-24 hours after a potential shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Passage View Post
                  I lost a good buck a few years ago due to rain that occurred after the shot during tracking, and always pay attention to what is forecasted in the 12-24 hours after a potential shot.
                  That is a good point... and I should add to what I said earlier. I like hunting in the rain... but I do so while using my phone's radar app to keep tabs on what is forming up around me, etc. I don't pay much attention to weather forecasts because they change up so much... but that radar app has got me from my blind to my cabin before a really bad storm... and I have held off shooting something once because there was a line of storms that was easily within an hour or so of blowing through.

Comment

You need to be in the blind in case it stops because they will definitely move when it stops raining even briefly!

Comment

If you're sheltered from the water in an enclosed blind it's fine. If you're not there's so many things that will getcha. Besides getting soaked your feathers will eventually get wet and mat up no matter how you've waterproofed them (this is where PERFECTLY tuned arrows will make a difference), your glove or tab will get soaked and will affect your release, and your string silencers, depending on material, will take on water and if you don't pop the string regularly to shed the water will definitely affect how your bow shoots. Of course there's ways to address each of these but none are perfect.

Comment

I have an elevated Krivoman at the lease that is very comfortable in the rain. I also have an elevated Maverick at my ranch that is adequate as well. Staying dry isn't really an issue. Blood trail concerns are though. I will go sit in light rains but am always watching the radar for breaks and heavy incoming weather. I wouldn't take a shot during a rainstorm I felt would wash away the blood.
                        That said even the blood spilled soon after the rain stops could be really watered down and tough.
                        Don't sit at home but you have to understand the risks.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                        X