Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remodel advice/question on selling house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remodel advice/question on selling house.

In about 2 years, I hope to retire & build a new house further out in the sticks.

our current house is 21 years old and could use some sprucing up a bit.

One of the things we have discussed is to take out the master bathroom tub and replace with a walk in shower as well as replace the carpet that is in there with some type of tile flooring.

I can do the floor, but not the shower. Question is...

do you think I would recoup the remodel cost when selling the house? Would it be better to just leave it be and offer/negotiate an allowance for "X" dollars? to upgrade, thus allowing new owners to update to their desires.

Would the remodel have that much of a desired affect from a buyers perspective?

advice / suggestions appreciated.

Honestly, just a shower in the master might be turnoff for a woman. Personally, i would leave it the way it is. When we sold our house this past year our realtor said not to offer X dollars for upgrades. Either do it or drop the price. Replacing the carpet with a decent vinyl or tile flooring would be better.

Comment

Any other bathtub in the house? Every house needs at least one tub in it. I would for sure upgrade the floor from carpet to tile no matter what though. That is an instant turn off in a bathroom to most folks.

Comment

In almost all cases the answer is yes you will recoup. Well, in the context someone is buying to live in as compared to flip. Most people who want a relatively move in ready home will balk at no shower. Any room to do shower and tub. Some love the tub too. A master should have both. Make sure you pick modern materials. anything is an upgrade from carpet, but everything is white these days. No 12x12 tile either. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          In almost all cases the answer is yes you will recoup. Well, in the context someone is buying to live in as compared to flip. Most people who want a relatively move in ready home will balk at no shower. Make sure you pick modern materials. anything is an upgrade from carpet, but everything is white these days. No 12x12 tile either. ;-)
          Yep. I would agree with this. We were turned off by houses that didn't have a large walk-in shower when we were buying last year. We have zero use for a tub in our master and know a lot of people that feel the same. A master bathroom upgrade will attract more buyers and you shouldn't have any problems recouping the investment. Most homes have secondary bathrooms with tubs. The right upgrades in kitchens and bathrooms usually always pay off.
          Last edited by Pineywoods; 01-29-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

there is another bathroom with a tub.

Kitchen counter tops have been replaced with quartz.

Comment

If your willing to give concessions for the bathroom in two years go ahead and remodel it now so you can enjoy it for two years.

Wait to replace the carpet before you list the house.

If you go hardwood/tile go ahead and do it now for the same reason with the bathroom.

Comment

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  there is another bathroom with a tub.

Kitchen counter tops have been replaced with quartz.
                  I'll give a recent example. My mother-in-law has dementia and moved into an apartment that we built for her on our property. She had a 1600sf 3br, 2bath, pier and beam, frame house on 1ac that had few upgrades besides new flooring and a small bathroom remodel since it was built in 1977...it had no master bath at all. She obviously didn't need it any longer and the money would help pay for her longterm care in the future if necessary.

We put her house on the market for $169k...it sat for about 2 months with only two showings and one lowball offer. I spent $35k, remodeling the main bath with a new shower, vanity, toilet and flooring. We turned a large laundry room into a dedicated master bath with a walk-in shower. carved out a dedicated laundry nook. Painted the old brown kitchen cabinets to a bright white and added quartz countertops. Put laminate wood flooring throughout. New LED recessed lighting in each room. Painted inside and out. The third bathroom that had been remodeled a few years back did have a small tub.

Put it back on the market at $229k and sold in within a week for $225k. Before, we were willing to go as low as $150ish, but never had a serious offer. Invested $35k into a remodel, and got $75k more than our previous bottom dollar. It was a good investment for my MIL.

Comment

we did the same several years ago, removed a cast-iron tub and put in a shower. Used a pan on the floor instead of the tile, tiled the walls around it. Worked out great. And tiled the B/R floor also. Did it all myself.

Comment

David- If you are not going to full remodels it is not worth it. If you remodel the entire master suite and other bathrooms with all matching floors/ counters/ etc it can pay off. Kitchen is same way- Unless you are going to do all new cabinets/ countertops/appliances/ lighting etc it often times will not make up the difference. If you do it dont do it with what you like- Go tour houses and remodel to current custom homes. We put free standing vestibule sink with a faucet that was like a waterfall. Neither of us liked it- we had viewings and realtor feedback was that people loved that set up. It is popular with the celebrity remodels folks from Waco

Comment

Bad call. If you are leaving. Leave it alone. Let the new owners make their own choices.
                        Unless you have a crystal ball that reads their minds so you can deliver exactly what SHE wants.

C'mon men.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          David- If you are not going to full remodels it is not worth it. If you remodel the entire master suite and other bathrooms with all matching floors/ counters/ etc it can pay off. Kitchen is same way- Unless you are going to do all new cabinets/ countertops/appliances/ lighting etc it often times will not make up the difference. If you do it dont do it with what you like- Go tour houses and remodel to current custom homes. We put free standing vestibule sink with a faucet that was like a waterfall. Neither of us liked it- we had viewings and realtor feedback was that people loved that set up. It is popular with the celebrity remodels folks from Waco
                          You sayin I ain't got good taste

Comment

I would just paint and put new carpet in. Buyers love to dream about fixing it up the way they would like it. Also, just put the bare min. in the house and open up all the blinds. If the buyer really likes the house, then you can give them an allowance to make some upgrades.

Comment

Yep- you and I dont have the taste of these home buyers. I spent many $1000s of dollars on stuff I didnt care for. I put some cheddar in 4 bathrooms and a kitchen and it paid off when it listed.

Comment

Working...
                              X