Blind Tower - Safety Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind Tower - Safety Issue?

So this 10' tower was left at our lease from a previous hunter. The stand/tower had blown over some time ago. I'm thinking about building a new blind to put on it after setting it up and tightening up any bolts, etc. that can be.
    Do you see any major safety issues with that?
    (And 'yes', I do plan to anchor the tower down.)
    Attached Files

Go light, I'm pretty sure that was for one of the black plastic blinds that didn't weigh much. Also needs a staircase or ladder!!

Comment

I would try to make sure the isnt any holes under the rusty areas. Sand/grind and repaint. Even a small amount of pitting can lead to trouble over a little bit of time being that it doesnt look like the tubular walls are very thick. Maybe add some sort of x bracing on the inside going across the middle.

Comment

Looks like a good foundation, and agreed with sboudreaux. Obviously look for cracks, breaks/bends in pipe, rust, broken hardware, etc. A new coat of spraypaint wouldn't hurt. Rye grass field?

Comment

Myself, Id scrap that unless you’re gonna go light. Steel square tubing or angle would be the way to go.

Comment

The top looks weak. I would weld more stabilizers across the top at a minimum. The supports are mainly in one direction. I would want a good base for the blind.

Comment

Check it over real good like other have already mentioned and how sound it is. Also need to put some feet on it to keep it from sinking in the dirt.

Comment

My guess is the top looks to be 6' X 6'.
                I would build some pipe sleeve feet for it. At least an 8" square footer with 1" diameter anchor holes. Drive some good anchor rods through the feet. I would put a good 3/4" plywood floor on that top, install some D rings in the corners & use it to put a Pop Up on each season. Get a good ladder to access directly into the door, enjoy.

Comment

Yup. Build your own or go with small pop up on top CG

Comment

I’ve seen worse lol !
                    Honestly that thing is rickety, and I would just build something new.

Comment

We used to have one like that on our place but decided it was a safety issue, into the scrap pile it went. It's just not worth it.

Comment

You could also just use the frame as a ground-blind; put on a roof and skin some walls instead of adding a platform/elevated blind. With how the legs are angled, I'd flip it upside down and have a wider top as opposed to floor.
                        Last edited by Patton; 01-21-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Myself, Id scrap that unless you’re gonna go light. Steel square tubing or angle would be the way to go.

I agree. Unless you put a plastic blind back on top of that.
                          I build all my towers from 3/16” angle iron and schedule 40 pipe for wooden blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That looks like scaffolding tubes and if I remember correctly the “base” of the platform bars on top aren’t designed for direct tension. I’d scrap it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like the base to a The Blynd. They used to be really popular.

Comment

Working...
                              X