X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tooth wear aging

How old would y’all say this deer was?

Tooth wear aging

Tooth wear can be so inconsistent. Hard to say just off those two pics alone.

Also location of deer, supplemental feed and if so how much etc.

We have deer that are 7+ years old that have tooth wear of a much younger deer because they eat a lot of supplemental feed.
    Last edited by dstrong; 11-30-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I don`t know how old he was

But that is as old as he will ever get.

Comment

Based on tooth wear only 4 or 5 tops. However as stated above lots of variables. The only way to know is to send the front teeth off for testing.
        Last edited by Archery1st; 11-30-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Comment

Hard to tell pics are so large, I’ll say 5

Comment

Originally posted by dstrong View Post
              Tooth wear can be so inconsistent. Hard to say just off those two pics alone.

Also location of deer, supplemental feed and if so how much etc.

We have deer that are 7+ years old that have tooth wear of a much younger deer because they eat a lot of supplemental feed.

Fisher County. To my knowledge I’m the only one that feeds protein anywhere in the area and I have never seen this deer at a feeder.

There are corn feeders around but only seasonal.

Comment

4 or 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He’s dead

Comment

Well y’all read the teeth older than I did but it still doesn’t match the deer IMO

Comment

UVALDE – Researchers at the Texas AgriLife Research and Extension Center in Uvalde have developed a more accurate technique than traditional methods for estimating the age of white-tailed bucks, said a Texas AgriLife Research scientist at the center. “South Texas is famous for producing trophy white-tailed deer,” said Dr. Susan Cooper, AgriLife Research associate professor... Read More →

Interesting read on aging deer, may help you out some.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Well y’all read the teeth older than I did but it still doesn’t match the deer IMO

From the picture I would say 6. Teeth still show 5 tops..which is not uncommon. If you have the front teeth send one off to Deerage.com

They will slice the tooth up, dye it and look at it under a microscope and tell you the correct age. I think it's $20-$30

Comment

Teeth tell me 4.5

Comment

What are y’all seeing to put that age on the teeth? I’m no expert but I see very little wear.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              What are y’all seeing to put that age on the teeth? I’m no expert but I see very little wear.
                              1st & 2nd molar almost flat, little crest on 3rd and width of dentine.

Comment

Working...
                              X