No announcement yet.

Diesel Truck plug in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve never plugged my 17 350 in down to -3 so far. Talked to a few guys who maintain a couple oilfield fleets in Alaska. They said the newer 6.7s have been fine below -20 without plugging in even though they plug in when able to.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      You'll be fine. I just got back from a month in Wyoming and had a streak of single digit weather up there early on. My 2016 Cummins remote started fine through the window of the nice warm house. I didn't add anything or do anything different. Same last few years, couple weeks at a time in single digits. Yall will be fine for a few days.
      My experience as well. My neighbors just don’t like it since it high idles with a straight pipe haha

Comment

Had an '02 cummins when I lived outside Chicago. I plugged in at my house, but didn't at work. I'd fire that thing up after work, and it sounded like a rod was going to shoot through the block. It didn't get out of the negative the whole first month I was there. Quite a shock for this Texas boy. Another thing I learned...normal winshield wiper fluid will freeze in the tank. And you have to have wiper fluid where they salt the roads and there's snow spray from all the other cars. Quite the learning experience.

Comment

Newer trucks won't have an issue.
          My first diesel was an 87 Ford with the 6.9 liter International. If you didn't plug it in, it wouldn't start. When it did start, it was noisier than hell too.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            I’ve never plugged my 17 350 in down to -3 so far. Talked to a few guys who maintain a couple oilfield fleets in Alaska. They said the newer 6.7s have been fine below -20 without plugging in even though they plug in when able to.
            Any def issues up there in the real cold?

Comment

I have a 99 Dodge with a Cummins. I've always plugged it in when it gets down in the 40's or lower. Makes it a lot easier to get started, not to mention the heat is already warm when you fire it up. The few times I haven't plugged it in during cold weather, I had to wait a while to get it warmed up. She's a cold natured beast!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                Newer trucks won't have an issue.
                My first diesel was an 87 Ford with the 6.9 liter International. If you didn't plug it in, it wouldn't start. When it did start, it was noisier than hell too.
                My 6.2 Detroit in a 3/4 suburban wouldn’t start in cold weather
                Or climb the wolf creek pass in Colorado ( no turbo)
                Diesel has made vast improvement, to bad diesel fuel isn’t .80ct a gallon again

Comment

Originally posted by Chompers View Post
                  Not sure if I am doing things right but I moved up north this fall and I drive a ‘14 F-250. I asked this same question to others up here and I got replies all over the spectrum. Some said to plug in below 36 and others said they never plug in, just add anti gel additive.

I work early and have started my truck without issues so far by just adding anti gel when I fill up. It’s been down to 0 a couple nights. Hope this helps.
                  Fuel stations up there switch to winter diesel, which has the additive in it already.

I don't know how far north you have to go to get it, the last place I recall getting it is OKC.

I've started mine in 30 below, and gotten the message "Do not drive for 30 seconds". That same trip, with only one hole open in the engine blanket, the water temp refused to get over 160.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                    I'll probably be proven wrong, but I believe the DEF tank has a heater. I assume it only runs when the truck runs though.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      I'll probably be proven wrong, but I believe the DEF tank has a heater. I assume it only runs when the truck runs though.
                      I know my 15 duramax had one because I used it going out as my excuse to delete it. Don’t know if they do anything when they are plugged in.

Comment

I'd plug mine in a couple hours before I needed to use it. Use to have it on a timer when I worked a normal job. Didn't want to wake up at 3am to plug it in and no reason to have it on all night. Only really used it on my '01 7.3L when it gets in the 20's.

Comment

I plugged my 03 Duramax all the time in the winter. I had a extension cord hooked up to a timer and it would come on 3 hours before I left for work. Made for easy starts and almost instant heat to defrost the windshield. Other than that I don't know if it done any good but sure was nice not having to go out to start truck before hand.

Comment

if its below freezing and you have the ability to plug it in, why would you not?
                            Drove truck OTR for a few years, we were required to run them at 30 and under or have them plugged in.

Comment

I just plugged my '15 Goat in. I'm on nights through Tuesday morning and figure that pigtail is hanging in my bumper for a reason. Hopefully tomorrow I can locate some anti-gel to add to the tanks here in Bryan! My theory is if it "could" help and potentially save me money and time all while prolonging the life of my truck, why the heck not?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                                Haven’t ran DEF since it was a few months old myself. I didn’t ask about the DEF. just asked how well the trucks cold started without being plugged in, and at what temps is was mandatory. Never crossed my mind to ask about the DEF since I didn’t run it.

Comment

Working...
                                X